PDA

View Full Version : Yaris for tall guy??

Shelsey Walsh
09-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi all
41 with a 45 mile each way hghway drive, currently in a Subaru WRX, which I love.

But want some thing smaller and fun and get my hands dirty on it. Love the idea of a real stealth car, grow up in the UK with Minis and Peugot GTis.

But I am 6 feet 6, question will the Yaris work for me? Plus a 45 mile highway trek ok in a Yaris, i do intend to makei t more interesting and possible AutoX/ Track Days.

Looking at Fit, Versa, Yaris, Scion Xa but if knew the Suzuki Swift Gt was coming might wait for that?

Any thoughts or advice?

60 Somethings
09-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm now 6'3" (barefoot) and about 200 lbs - most folks my height probably still call themselves 6'4" - Have long legs, but really a pretty normal thin body shape.

I have plenty of headroom in our LB, but without the raise and lower steering wheel, I'd have a hard time getting my legs (and my size 13 feet) into driving position.

So, I think you are going to have to find one to sit in to check it out. I think there is also a difference in the LB and the Sedan - with the Sedan being roomier and more adjustable if I remember correctly.

NOTE: The Yaris LB is better legroom-wise than our '74 Alfa Romeo Spider.

H8SGAS
09-11-2006, 12:29 PM
6’4” without shoes on and 195. The Yaris Liftback is the second most comfortable car I have owned. A Dodge Stealth RT/TT takes the honors of first, but lacked an actual back seat. Furthermore I can “sit behind myself” in the Yaris without to much discomfort and one will be hard pressed to find a vehicle with better headroom. Really my only complaint so far (almost 500 miles) is the distance between the pedals, as with most cars unless I’m wearing a narrow shoe I have to drive with just my socks on cause of my canoe feet.

Shelsey Walsh
09-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Sounds promising both Honda Fit and Scion Xa were fine, only issue with Xa was the pedal position , my dealer will get a sedan in soon (already sold) that I can sit in.

I used to drive an original Mini with no problem, I am thinking of this as a prject so new seats and brackets etc are possible. Luckily with my job I will be at SEMA in November so can check out the tuner scene.

SimmZ
09-11-2006, 03:04 PM
6'2", 275 lbs here... fitting is "OK" in the Yaris... but not that much fine.

Maybe are you better to choose a car who are more appropriated to your height? I always think it was better to choose a car who are appropriated to our size at first.

I always drove Nissan cars in the past cause Nissan always offer a bigger legsroom than similar car from Toyota. Take a look to the new Nissan Versa! A lot more legsroom than a Yaris for the same price.

slvryaris
09-11-2006, 03:51 PM
6'4" almost 6'5" over 300 pounds and I fit nicely. Dont worry I am not a disgusting blob but I look like a damn line backer. I owned a Pontiac G6 before and its about the same leg space. The shoulder room is different. I guess it just depends on how you are built.

SimmZ
09-11-2006, 03:58 PM
I always feel than Toyota build thier car for japanese guys! Japanese are small guys and they build cars with small legsroom. They don't take care of tall north american buyers like other japanese manufacturer does (like Nissan, Mazda, ect).

My boss own a brand new 2006 Rav-4 (the new model) and this is a real great truck. But I feel very unconfortable in it because it have a VERY small legsroom for a truck. Very disapointed. Hopefully, my boss is smaller than me and he really like is new truck.

My boss's father work for Toyota for the past 30 years and he own a brand new 2007 Camry (base model) and I take a ride with him last week, it's an awesome car, the legsroom is VERY impressive (even hard to reach the pedals when the seat is adjusted to the max). This is a REAL great car for tall peoples! The 5sped automatic tranny act very well, an impressive improvement over the 4spd automatic in the 2005 Camry who are based on the same L4 engine.

Dawn Eshelman
09-12-2006, 05:39 AM
I am only 5'6", and drive with my seat in the farthest back position. I can't imagine anyone much taller not feeling cramped...

SimmZ
09-15-2006, 08:01 AM
When I test drive the Yaris sedan for a few days (friend working at Toyota dealer, lend me a car), they only have automatic ones. I feel better than in the Echo (bigger legsroom and adjustable heat seat), but I don't think I have enough legsroom to drive manual with confort. When you drive manual, you need to have sufficient legsroom because your legs is moving a lot more than automatic...

stuffy
09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
i've got a 6'8" friend who is a regular passenger in my car, he hasn't driven it because he doesnt' have a license, but he has never complained and he doesn't look uncomfortable.

i've got another friend who is 6'3" and thinks that he can only drive a large sedan because he is big, which i think is just retarded.

i'm 6' with plenty of room.