PDA

View Full Version : bird poop is a killer

red_rims
08-19-2009, 12:06 PM
i left bird poop on my car (left fender) for like 3 or 4 days in the sun. BAD IDEA. now that i finally cleaned it, it seems the acid went through my clear coat. Its not super noticable but its noticable if you look closely at the car. any suggestion anyone?

stouffer
08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Last time a bird pooped on my car, I didn’t take her out again... :laugh:

tomato
08-19-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm interested in any (serious) ssuggestions you might get. Subscribed.

IllusionX
08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
just wash throughout, clay bar, paint sealant and the wax... and wax again.. and again.

You should then be good for a long time :)

06silveryaris
08-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Its really tuff to get out, its really shitty hen that happens(no pun intended)

PETERPOOP
08-19-2009, 09:57 PM
i have that on my front bumper!!!!!!!! Freakin ACID POOP! I am hoping it comes out when i eventually claybar my car.

red_rims
08-20-2009, 12:40 AM
I just washed my car tonight and it still there! Ima try meguire claybar and quick detailer tommorow. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I had no idea wat claybar is but this video helped me out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

weedtank
08-20-2009, 01:05 AM
hate that shit..

YarisSedan
08-20-2009, 01:25 AM
try claybar first if not then meguires ultimate compound

Goose
08-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Clay is good start, but it may not be what you need for poop.

Bird poop damage , as you may already know, is not on top of the clearcoat. Bird poop etching actually eats into the clearcoat, so you reduce the visibility of the damage in response. As with any paint problem, start gently and work your way up to more aggressive solutions.

Clay and wax may indeed hide the poop-stain problem, so there's no harm in trying this first. If cleaning (claying)/waxing don't do the trick, the next step would be to use a mild polish to feather the edges of the stain. Feathering is where you gently polish the edges of the stain to make them less noticeable, thereby making the stain less visible. Feathering should solve the problem, and is really the only solution short of refinishing. I've had very good results with Meguiar's Scratch-X for poop stains. The keys are to have a clean surface, clean applicator, take your time and be gentle - don't make the problem worse.

Waxing the area after polishing will further hide the problem (you should wax after polish anyway). Hope this helps... :smile:

DerFlosser
08-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Bird droppings are some of the worst "fallout" you can encounter. The only way to remove bird drop etching is to wet sand and compound/polish. Best done by a reputable body shop. You can use over the counter stuff until the cows come home but you'll never remove it.

I carry a detailer spray and towels in all of my cars and check my car 2X/day for droppings when it's hot and sunny. It only takes a short time before it eats through the clear and....depending on what the bird ate, the results can be immediate.

RedRide
08-20-2009, 12:57 PM
..........I carry a detailer spray and towels in all of my cars and check my car 2X/day for droppings when it's hot and sunny. It only takes a short time before it eats through the clear and....depending on what the bird ate, the results can be immediate.

I do the same thing with my cars. I found out the hard way that you must remover any bird droppings ASAP.

Another paint killer in the summer is tree sap.

mrbond
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Dude, use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, followed by a good clay bar, and then wax. I had some of that crap on my rear bumper, couldn't get it off with anything else, not even the clay bar by itself.

tomato
08-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Another paint killer in the summer is tree sap.

+1

I had that on the side of my Honda, could NEVER get rid of it. Careful where you park :frown:

TheRealEnth
08-20-2009, 02:44 PM
If you get tree sap and bird poop, you are clearly deciding to park under trees and other objects that sit above your car, try parking in the open =p less chance of everything

Slick
08-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I highly recommend Meguire's Scratch-X! I literally Scratch-X 'd my entire '99 chevy truck. I did the whole thing, minus chrome, glass and rims :) The product is designed with micro abbrasives that diminish as you use it. So the odds of you rubbing a worse blemish in your clear coat is slim but could happen with over exposure. So, medium-ish elbow grease will get the job done. Maybe a few applications, but it should come out great.

shaneeezy
08-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Aw, that sucks! I have bird poop stains & dead bug stains ):

tomato
08-21-2009, 12:19 AM
If you get tree sap and bird poop, you are clearly deciding to park under trees and other objects that sit above your car, try parking in the open =p less chance of everything

Sometimes you're lucky you can park at all around here, so you take what you can get, you know :iono:

JumpmanYaris
08-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Dude the first bird that pooped was airborn just flying by but the second one made the mistake of landing in front of my porch so i got the BB gun and injured the bird, later on that day i felt bad for the bird but the more I looked at the car the guilt was less and less lol. It sucks specially if u have a BLK car

red_rims
08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
well i never had a hard time cleaning off the poop. but my clear coat is gone for good. the poop ate it.

counterfiend
08-24-2009, 01:33 AM
I highly doubt just claying or even a light by hand compound is going to remove the etching in the clear from the poop. Its literally in the paint. And the easiest most effective way to remove the etching is going to be having that area professionally buffed, even then it may not come out completely. In that case have the area wet sanded. Only bad thing about that is you will have one area that looks AWESOME and the rest is swirled to crap. heh

Goose
08-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Although hand polishing is a bit labor intensive, I would still give it a try before employing a pro with a buffer. The pro will probably take care of the etched-in stain, but will probably remove more clear than is required. Straight-cut buffers can be pretty aggressive.

I've been pleasantly surprised on several occasions by what Scratch-X can do. To me, it's more satisfying to have solved a problem myself (cheaper, too) instead of paying a pro. :smile: