PDA

View Full Version : Question about Toyota's shipping system

Goose
04-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Okay, I'm now going through my second waiting period due to a dealer foul-up. I've been told my car is at "A-Status" in the delivery system - I'd like to think this is being-loaded-onto-the-car-carrier status, but I'm not sure.

Anybody care to guess? Better yet does anybody know the various status levels?

Here are mine (these are total guesses):

D-Status = Order accepted into system
C-Status = Car scheduled for build
B-Status = Car built and waiting to be shipped to the Regional Distribution Center
A-Status = Car at Regional Distribution Center waiting to be shipped to Dealer

Just passing the time while I wait...

jah
04-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Kevin, bummer...
I picked my hatch up last week, ended up getting a auto-tran because no 5-speeds had the power package. I started researching my purchase two weeks ago, going to Toyota.com and plugging in my zip code allowed me too see the inventory of Yaris in the Southeast (950+ last week). You could tell the delivery dates for all the cars if you dug hard enough. My wife wanted the power package, so saw a Red Hatch with deliver date of 4/25, so jumped on it. Got it two days later (which was before the 4/25 date :) ). I just went to Toyota.com, plugged in 43215 (Columbus, Ohio), totally different format of the website. I for the life of me could not get to the inventory part of the website :( . Bottomline, in the southeast they now have 728 Yaris, so they have sold over 200 in the last week)
Good luck, sorry I can't help
Later
Jerry

YotaYarisUSA
04-30-2006, 12:45 AM
I 've been trying to get a Yaris for over a month now and my dealership can not get them off inventory. The one I wanted was sold before he could get it,and he thought he had one the next day and it was sold to? He tried to sell me one of the ones they have coming in and I 'm like ,no I want the car that I want my color,etc. So,he told me that the computers update on Thursday with the new stock info,and he will try and find me one then.If not they will order the car for me. The weird thing is I go one southeast inventory and still see the car I want and see more coming in May? Way in the hel$ can they not get me this car? Are they just trying to make me cave in and buy the cars they have on the lot? Is the Yaris the hardest car on earth get right now? It seems that way for me at least. Or maybe I should go to another dealership?

YotaYarisUSA

jah
04-30-2006, 09:10 AM
With gas at 3 bucks a gallon, and the Yaris just now entering the states, they do look like they are selling well. Now the Toyota SE inventory is showing 636 cars (a little over 12 hours ago it showed 728 of which only 89 are hatchs :cry: ). My dealer did try to explain the inventory system, and would not gauranty the sale would go thru until they had it on the lot. It sounded like with the 636 cars now showing, some have been allotcated to dealers as part of thier normal allotment, then some would be specifically picked by the dealer based on how its equipped, then the rest went into a pool. Seemed like the pool was just cars with later delivery dates. I asked the same question over and over, because I was willing to bend some things and absoultly would not give on others (IE: I was not paying for "scotchgard" carpet protectent and paint sealers :mad: ). Never really got a straight answer, or at least one that I fully understood :confused:

Bottomline, I do think some of it was the salesman trying to determine how bad I wanted it, and set the price accordingly. I do not think, at least in my case, they would delay a car because I made it clear that I was talking to other Toyota dealers, and was looking at other cars. If they yanked me around I would go elsewhere, and buy from another dealer, or a different make entierly. (I had GM discounts, could have got a Averio for cheaper than the Yaris, with better financing).
I think you are just running into the "supply and demand" thing, new car in short supply, gas being $3 a gallon driving the demand.
Later
Jerry

Goose
04-30-2006, 11:03 AM
The "supply and demand" situation depends alot on where you are. My experience has been that hatchbacks are out there, although the dealer may have to either trade or order a car. This assessment does not apply to the west coast, as it seems any interesting car either has long waits or high markups. I can't believe California MINI dealers are still getting over sticker on the MINI (or so I've been told). Silly...

The situation you describe sounds like the dealer is jerking you around a bit, hoping you'll panic and cave-in. Although there is the standard "new model demand" for the Yaris hatch, it doesn't seem too bad and you shouldn't have to take dealer add-ons. I've noticed that my local Honda dealer is trying the "piling-on the-extras" stunt with the Fit.

Patience is the key. If you're willing to make a token deposit and wait a few weeks or so, you should be able to get exactly what you want.