PDA

View Full Version : Unable to order options?

Epyn
05-01-2006, 02:53 PM
The wife and I test drove the liftback this weekend and I plan to order one the beginning of next year. Dealers seem to believe that such a large purchase cannot wait more than 30 days. Feh.

Anywhoo, my problem is when i asked about specific options they brushed it off and stated that it's not possible to order it the way you want, and that there were only 7 available in the 5 state area...we had to reiterate that we didn't 'prefer' an automatic, but 'required' it for those less merciful inclines around town. I assumed if buying new I would be able to be a little picky.

Were they just playing a 'you'll be lucky to get one at all' card; does toyota not build them based on orders from dealers?

Goose
05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Currently, the dealer is somewhat correct. While you wouldn't be "lucky to get one", Yaris hatchbacks are relatively scarce right now. I'm sure supply will catch up to demand pretty soon, though.

Your dealer is quite right regarding custom orders. Please refer to the post I made on this very subject not tooo long ago:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4501#post4501

Your Toyota Regional Office determines what it thinks will sell in your area, and configures option packages they'll carry. Dealers can get cars from outside your region, but I wouldn't count on it with such a low-margin car. As far as I know, only the California Region (for example) has the Power Package - even though these options are listed in the national Yaris sales brochures.

why?
05-01-2006, 10:14 PM
By the beginning of next year you should be able to get any options you want. Right now there are so few Yarises that dealers are selling every single one of them.

Goose
05-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Actually, if Toyota continues their current policies, "any option you want" may not be quite accurate. Toyota doesn't like to incur any costs that they don't have to; accomdating special order option combos is such a cost. Just like the Tundra I saw that took eight months to be delivered(!), you may be able to order any option combo, but it may take a l-o-n-g time to show up at your dealer. I don't think this situation will change as the Yaris becomes more common.

I had the same situation with my '04 Tacoma, a model that had been around for a while. Even though I wanted a basic 4-cylinder/manual/two wheel drive truck, I wanted the bucket seats instead of the bench. To special order this combo would have meant waiting for a slot to open in the production run - to make a long story (wait) short, I went with the bench seat. Since the Yaris is currently built in Japan instead of California, shipping would add still more time to the delivery time on a special order... if you could do so.

As I've noted in the other thread, it appears that special orders can be done if you really work at it, but actually getting the car could take a very long time. I'd advise being somewhat flexible in what you're looking for, and you'll be happier.

Epyn
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Mmm, sweet sweet good info.

We're fairly flexible on options but probably not so much on things like the transmission, color, and perhaps one package. We don't plan on buying for almost a year anyway, at which time I'll likely have more than half the cost saved up, optimally.

I'm thinking after I have 5k down I'll see if I can put myself down for the specifics I want, and if after 3-6 months I hear nothing I'll start flexing :p
Perhaps, as you said, by next spring they'll at least have some additional packages available, maybe even oem cruise control.

Thanks all.

why?
05-02-2006, 05:02 PM
The salesperson will be able to tell you right away if they've seen what you are looking for.

Like at my dealer a lady wanted a Yaris with the CQ package and side airbags, and that was it.

Of course, to get side airbags you need a fully loaded lb.

They actually have a list of the options packages that the region gets, so they'll be able to tell you exactly what you can and cannot do.

Epyn
05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
That makes things easier, I'll have tos ee what we plan on getting and check with them again. And possibly check CA as well, in case they get the power package I want, I'm looking for a reason to drive down the coast anyway :p

foober
05-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Right now your going to have to aim for one that is closest to what you want. Get to be good friends with the allocation guy at your dealership. He'll get an allocation of yaris's coming to his dealership and other dealerships in his area every week to two weeks. You tell him what you want. And if you get to be good friends with him he'll go over with you each allocation if one is close to what you'd want.

I kept going back to my allocation guy once a week checking out with him on his computer the invoices of allocated cars that were coming to my area. Finally after a month one was available in my area and I said thats the one. STill didn't get the exact one I wanted. But close enough.