PDA

View Full Version : Auto Headlights?

randydid
06-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Just before I traded my 2011 Prius, I was investigating a confirmed hack that allowed auto headlights to operate on it. In other countries, it is a standard feature but disabled in the US. Basically, it involved running a ground wire and a switch to ground-people got fancy and would change out the stalk on the steering column as well but I just want the functionality. That is simplifying it greatly but it was easy for the most part. My 2007 Matrix XRS had this feature enabled as standard and I really miss it.

Now, I noticed on my 2012 Yaris SE that there is a similar photocell in the dashboard-at least I think there is one there. Basically, two questions: 1. Do Yarii come equiped with auto headlights enabled in other countries? and 2. Does anyone have the wiring/pinouts for that harness?

I would pay for the Techinfo if I knew that it was even possible.

The whole process should be pretty easy if the capability is there (but just not wired).

Here is the thread over on Prius Chat: http://priuschat.com/threads/automatic-headlights.64812/

CTScott
06-11-2012, 10:09 PM
That photo cell on your dash is the sunlight sensor for the A/C. The Yaris does not have any of the necessary equipment to do it, but there are plenty of inexpensive aftermarket kits for doing so.

CTScott
06-11-2012, 10:16 PM
I just checked the European EWD's and the French made Yaris does have auto headights as an option. The headlight switch has an extra position for "Auto". They also have an "Auto Light Control Sensor" that talks over LIN BUS to the Main Body ECU (which is different than ours).

randydid
06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
I just checked the European EWD's and the French made Yaris does have auto headights as an option. The headlight switch has an extra position for "Auto". They also have an "Auto Light Control Sensor" that talks over LIN BUS to the Main Body ECU (which is different than ours).

Yes, I was afraid that might be the case. In the case of the Prius, you have to find a pin left of the steering column and also run a wire from the photocell. You could buy the stalk with the auto position or, you could wire it up with a manual switch and tuck it under the dash. People reported that dealers would go on for hours troubleshooting why the lights were 'stuck' on in their shop bays. You could just flip the switch when you went into get service. Thanks for your insight!

JayGee
06-12-2012, 04:15 AM
The local 1.3 XR has auto headlights. The sensor is on the windscreen, not the dash though.