PDA

View Full Version : DIY: TACH INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Leenis24
06-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey all, i installed a tach today. It was reletively easy. The longest part was finding where to put the wires. I have pics(cell phone, sorry for quality) for the installation process.

Sorry i didnt get the Red tach wire pic, but i just input it into the ACC fuse under the driverside dash. This way when the key is turned on and car started, the tach will also come to life. Its in slot #24 in the fuse box housing and is a 7.5 amp fuse. This will power the tach at 12v. I just put the wire right to the fuse, i choose to do this cause i didn't know where else to put it. Im sure you could hook it up more properly on some wire somewhere nearby.

Hope this all helps.

UPDATE: (6/11/06) Dont hook the illumination wire to the Greenish-blue wire on the dimmer as in the first picture shown, try hooking it to either the stereo illumination or some other dash lighting.

eight_heads
06-09-2006, 06:14 PM
looks pretty good except for the dimmer wire... you usually don't want to run anything extra off of the dimmer switch plug because it can burn out the switch...

Leenis24
06-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Ya but its just the illumination wire, to light the tach. Not like its the red power wire, should be fine.

swng
06-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Kind of cute tach!

Supa Lao
06-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the how to. I'll be adding one when mine comes in here. I'm debating if I want to put it on the steering column or on the a-pillar like you guys.

eight_heads
06-10-2006, 03:34 PM
also, you could probuably hook the illumination wire to the illum wire for the stereo....all it does is makes it come on brighter when your headlight are on...

Leenis24
06-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Umm ya found a little problem with hooking the illumination wire to the wire that i used on the dimmer. Either the tach light is on fully, or the dash lighting is on fully. I put the dimmer half way so that the dash and tach have half lighting. Im going to fix this liitle problem as soon as it stops raining up her in NE. Other than that it all work fine, i love my new tach.

suzu
06-16-2006, 01:01 AM
guys, i know that its great to get help in installing a tach. BUT i must say for some of the experienced stick sh. (manual) drivers, like myself, the tach is not necessary. i drive by hearing the engine and i can tell you it works perfectly OK. i am just curious....how many of you are actually gonna use the tach for the purpose of changing gears.

Supa Lao
06-16-2006, 06:31 AM
I'll be adding one to use for autoX

eight_heads
06-16-2006, 04:18 PM
i like to have them because they tell you alot about how the engine is doing if you know what to look for... plus, if you are listening to the radio loud you may not be able to hear or feel the engine as much.... i've never needed one, just like to have one

why?
06-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Yea, its definately not necesary, but I like having it, and if I ever do decide to do some type of racing, it will come in very handy.

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
06-17-2006, 01:43 PM
sorry to say but i don't like the looks of that tach. way tooo small for me.....

eight_heads
06-17-2006, 04:13 PM
sorry to say but i don't like the looks of that tach. way tooo small for me.....
i personally HATE those 5" tachs in anything other than a drag car... maybe it's just me... i personally just ordered a 2" tach for my car

Young-Adolf
06-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Shoulda got a 5" with a 4 inch shift light :biggrin:

Leenis24
06-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I love having a tach, like eight_heads said, when listening to music i cant hear the engine and stall sometimes or rev out to much. A tach is not necesary for some, but i love having one. I think i look at my tach more than the speedo :tongue:

Oh and huge 5" tachs are ugly. Way to big, they look like there used on a huge ship or a cargo plane or some other big machinery, to big for a car i think.

spacemanoeuvres
06-20-2006, 06:19 PM
when listening to music i cant hear the engine and...rev out to much.

same here, I accidentally laid wheels at a light on the way home from work today :burnrubber:

hope to install the tach this weekend. I'll def use your instructions so thanks again :thumbsup:

why?
06-21-2006, 11:06 AM
I like mine. I'm too blind to see the smaller tachs, lol. The big one reduces eye strain.

eight_heads
06-21-2006, 11:37 PM
well i got my tach in today, just waiting for the universal gauge pod to try out... then i will post some pics

Leenis24
06-26-2006, 06:59 PM
good luck with the install

spacemanoeuvres
06-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Installed my $160 nordskog yesterday (thanks again leenis)

Digital readout wasn't as bright as I'd hoped but it still looked cool as hell, and actually worked!!!

...for a while.

After about 10 minutes of driving I noticed the readout going nuts (picture slot machine) between 2600 and 3000 rpms :thumbdown:

Figured I'd leave it in for the drive to work the next day, but did the same thing! Worked just fine for like 10 mins. then slot machine :mad:
Thank jeebus I didn't drill the mounting holes before testing it out.

So I picked up a cheapy sunpro tach ($45) at pep boys on the way home, and it works fine :laugh:

Guess you don't always get what you pay for!

Now I have to find someplace to hookup the illumination wire (poop!) and ship the nordskog back to cali

I'll post pics of the sunpro when it's thoroughly tested and mounted.

eight_heads
06-26-2006, 09:18 PM
well i've got my tach installed, but not mounted... i had ordered a universal a-pillar pod, and it arrived today smashed to bits, so i'm trying to either get my money back or rma it... anyway, it looks great...i went ahead with the glow shift 2-1/16" gauge like this http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/ProductImages/tinted7color/GS-T710_TINTEDTACH.jpg
there is a color that matched the stock liftback gauge perfectly... will post pics once it's mounted

eight_heads
06-26-2006, 09:57 PM
here's a quick picture of what it looks like dark
http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/9128/dash4pa.jpg
sorry for the blur, battery is low... will take a better one soon

eight_heads
06-26-2006, 10:03 PM
and one of the speedo just for fun :p
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/6818/dash25rr.jpg

spacemanoeuvres
06-27-2006, 08:23 AM
here's a quick picture of what it looks like dark
http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/9128/dash4pa.jpg
sorry for the blur, battery is low... will take a better one soon

Dag, I'm a stickler for matching parts and I have to say the glow shift gauge looks pretty close to the stock speedo. I'm starting to get interested in this bad'bwoy

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/ProductImages/tinted7color/GS-T709_TINEDTACH.jpg

But what does it look like during the day? That's one thing I really didn't like about the nordskog; it wasn't very bright with the sun out.

Also, which wire did you use for illumination???

Thanks in advance and good job :thumbsup:

eight_heads
06-27-2006, 01:06 PM
it's a little hard to see when it's bright out, but i plan on tinting the windows so that should take care of that... and there is no illum wire, there is the tach, ground, 12v constant, and 12v ignition(switched)... the gauge itself is tinted so that it's black when it's off, so when you turn the car on it lights up automatically whether it's night or day so you can see it

KSIbucky
06-30-2006, 02:20 AM
where would get a tach like this

eight_heads
06-30-2006, 07:04 PM
glowshiftdirect.com or ebay... it's the same people and product

spacemanoeuvres
07-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Pics of the 3 3/4" model installed here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10938&postcount=139

KSIbucky
09-10-2006, 10:11 PM
this needs to become a sticky:evil: :drinking: :help: :eyebulge: :bow: :headbang: :thumbup: :wub: :bs: :needpics:

KSIbucky
09-10-2006, 10:52 PM
how do you remove the dash panel

spkrman
11-19-2006, 06:07 AM
thx for posting! I'll definitely be doing this asap :)

spkrman
12-28-2006, 11:11 AM
bump because I'm doing this shortly :)

Tamago
12-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Heads Up display FTW!!!
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/fatherdutami/PIC_0671.jpg

spkrman
12-28-2006, 12:17 PM
wow whats goin on there lol

ChinoCharles
12-28-2006, 12:23 PM
What kind of HUD do you have and how is it Tamago?

Tamago
12-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Defi Basis

spkrman
12-28-2006, 02:19 PM
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44589#post44589

w00t :)

KSIbucky
01-01-2007, 02:27 PM
i was wondering i have a seven color tach and every time i start the car it goes back to the default color
the problem is i need to connect to the battery i think i was wondering what wire should i tap or whatever

spkrman
01-02-2007, 08:04 PM
i was wondering i have a seven color tach and every time i start the car it goes back to the default color
the problem is i need to connect to the battery i think i was wondering what wire should i tap or whatever

I tapped the wire from the cd player, thats always an easy/foolproof way to get ignition/illum/power.

I've fixed/created way too many noisy grounds... so I just used the ground location detailed in this DIY, although you could obviously tap ANY location on the body, and the A pillar would have been the shortest path, but doing it this way I didnt have to take it all the way off.

To do the wiring in another yaris would take me about 5 minutes.

For future reference, don't power anything off the illum wire, wire up a relay if you are doing more than, well, powering a relay :headbang:

slothman86
03-07-2007, 09:55 AM
anyone know where the #24 fuse is for red wire is? I've been looking for it all day. Also, so the white wire goes some where else? The green tach wire still goes to the far left green-blue wire that is part of the underdash neon plug? thanks

MrJester
03-07-2007, 10:10 AM
the #24 fuse is located under the dash on the drivers side. Look all the way up under there adn there should be a small black cover over the fuses. :)

slothman86
03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
the #24 fuse is located under the dash on the drivers side. Look all the way up under there adn there should be a small black cover over the fuses. :)

yep found it thanks...now for the next question, how'd he get the power wire attached to that fuse?

MrJester
03-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Try one of these

http://grote.com//cgi-bin/goc/goc.cgi?product_number=82-2212

slothman86
03-07-2007, 11:40 AM
hey, thats a big help thanks alot!

slothman86
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM
I found the green tach wire works great with the one prescribed.

I bought a wire tester thing (the pen one) it helped me find the wires I needed. I ended up not putting the illumnination on the same as the power. That ground spot is ingenious tho! :)

I ran every thing from the underdash wiring with the splice clips. On the dimmer switch, I connected illumination to the brown wire. Where the under dash lights are s'posed to plug in, there is a light greenish blue wire that runs the Tach feed (ECU splice your tach control wire to that. The black ground wire from your tach goes to any grounded bolt you want. The Power (red) feed from the tach splices to a green wire on the lower right plug. this in all under the drivers side dash. You basically only have to remove the left kick panel and the storage compartment. Don't forget to test your ground!

Good luck!

PS put your fuses back in the right holes as well!

Lafiro
03-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Better pictures, maybe daytime?

I can't see anything clear except your face......

wagoneer
04-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I installed my tachometer today.

Glowshift 7 color tach with universal gauge pod.

Installed at A pillar as others.

Wired Red Tach wire to the #24 fuse as described (utilized a mini add a fuse as also described in this thread)

Wired the Black Tach wire to the bolt at bottom of A pillar as described in this thread.

Wired the Green Tach wire to the far left blue green wire at the OBD scan port as described in this thread.

I wired the Yellow "Illumination" tach wire to the brown wire at the dimmer switch.

However, my tach cannot remember which color it was on when I turn it off and back on. It also doesn't brighten/dim with the dimmer switch.

Directions say to "connect the yellow illumination wire to the positive side of the battery". So it needs to be something that is always powered, even when key is off.
Where the heck should I be putting this yellow wire????:iono:

uncleyaris
04-21-2007, 11:40 PM
ouch! good luck

wagoneer
04-22-2007, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=spkrman;45391]I tapped the wire from the cd player, thats always an easy/foolproof way to get ignition/illum/power.

QUOTE]

Specifically, where at, what color, and how do you get to this wire? I need to hook my "Illumination wire" to a constant source of 12V so the Tach will remember which color is selected...

wagoneer
04-23-2007, 06:53 PM
O.k.

Here is the definitive way to do it for a Glow Shift tach that changes colors.

Buy 2 Mini Add A Cicuit Fuse things described in this thread. There are two sizes, Mini and Regular get the Mini, 2 of them.

Attach the tachometer "12v IGN" (Red wire) to one of the add a fuse circuits. Attach the add a fuse to terminal #24 in the fuse box located where described in this thread.

Attach the tachometer "Illumination" (yellow wire) to the other add a fuse circuit. Install this add a circuit at terminal 8 or 9 (the red 10amp circuit across from #24 location). This will ensure that the tachometer "remembers" what color it was last on after you shut the car off.

Attach the tachometer "signal" (green wire) to the OBD scan port far left blue/green wire as described in this thread.

Attach the tachometer ground (black wire) to the bolt as described in this thread.

Working like a champ and it remembers what color it was last on when I start the car back up.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/wagoneer12/Yaris008.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/wagoneer12/Yaris007.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/wagoneer12/Yaris006.jpg

yrsdrgn
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Some one should install it into the vent thingie!!!!!! haha i think that'd look pretty nice

wagoneer
04-23-2007, 09:10 PM
I seriously considered it. It is perfect.

However, I noticed that the windows on the driver side were fogging up the other day while driving in the rain, even with the vent pointed that way. I can't imagine how bad it would be without an air vent.

yrsdrgn
04-23-2007, 09:19 PM
true. o so very true. I noticed that the windows tend to fog up relatively fast compared to other cars.

barebonedvitz
05-01-2007, 03:13 AM
how about in the compartment? :P just in case u wanted to go sleeper :P

KSIbucky
05-15-2007, 11:57 PM
where did you hook up the illumination wire and HOW did you do

im new to the hole wiring thing and a step by step diy for just hook the two wires would be cool

joey1320
05-16-2007, 08:21 AM
where did you hook up the illumination wire and HOW did you do

im new to the hole wiring thing and a step by step diy for just hook the two wires would be cool

Attach the tachometer "Illumination" (yellow wire) to the other add a fuse circuit. Install this add a circuit at terminal 8 or 9 (the red 10amp circuit across from #24 location). This will ensure that the tachometer "remembers" what color it was last on after you shut the car off.

KSIbucky
05-16-2007, 10:49 PM

how do you find a terminal # and how do you add a number go to page 11 (http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/EWD.pdf)

yariSB86
05-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the DIY!
just installed my glowshift 7 color tach.
gotta love wire testers :)
posting pics after i make the wires invisible.

woot woot:thumbup:

Ran Kizama
05-29-2007, 07:35 AM
I installed my Speedhut gauge this weekend with the help of this DIY. However, my gauge has two Illumination wires and two grounds. I guess one for the gauge and one for the shift LED. The LED's light up fine and so does the needle, but the backlight is very very dim. Any advice?

Ran Kizama
05-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Bumpity Help Me!

drifto
06-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Bumpity Help Me!

i just got my speedhut guage in the mail today :biggrin: im installing it tomorrow. ill let you know what i find :thumbsup:

cali yaris
06-04-2007, 12:07 AM
glowshift coming next week, will post install pics also. I want mine on the other side of the steering wheel if possible though, that's where I'm used to looking on my other cars.

Sway84
06-04-2007, 07:40 AM
you know i was just thinking that and i had a thread posted for it under cosmetics and in the a-pillar guages thread

rwseattle
06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes, post pic. I'm interested in the speedhut tach.

kapo
08-02-2007, 06:46 PM
one small question.. how do you guys attached the green tach wire? I know where it goes, but how is the best way to attach it? cut the blue-green wire from the ECU, then attaching all 3 ends together?

thanks!

drifto
08-02-2007, 07:43 PM
best way is to soldier it/ shrink wrap together, but they also sell 3-way t-type crimp connectors that will work good too. whatever you prefer. just dont twist it and elec. tape it :frown:

kapo
08-04-2007, 12:24 PM
well.. i followed the instructions and the tach is not working.. one stupid question, the fuse (#24) i took from the box i need to attach it to the "add a fuse".. right? (i did it), is any special direction the fuse goes?

another question.. for the ground I needed to add some wire... but the wire is thicker that the tach black wire... that is a problem?

I tried everything... and nothing, the needle doesnt move, and no ilumination also.. Im using the glowshift. Any has this problem?

cali yaris
08-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I've sent one glowshift back already, but yours is probably not the unit. Shouldn't be a problem with your ground wire size.

Have you hooked up 12v to the tach to make sure it lights up?

Do you have a way of testing a wire to see if there's juice in it?

kapo
08-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Red wire in #24.. with the 7.5 amp.
Yellow wire in #9 with the 10 amp.

* what happen if i do a wire jump in the "add a fuse" instead of puting the fuse?

i guess i will need to buy a tester to see what is going on..

kapo
08-04-2007, 02:24 PM
finally! is working! My mistakes, I didn't put the fuse in the slot B of the "add a fuse".. and then, I had to turn 180 the "add a fuse"..

It looks great!!!! I will post pictures later..

kapo
08-04-2007, 03:05 PM
well.. the radio now is not working.. ggrrr.. i need to read the other thread about the radio.. :/

meteoriteyaris
08-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Those Grote add-a-fuse things are $22 each here at NAPA. I'd need two and I didn't pay that much for the tach. Anybody know of any place to buy them for a reasonable amount?

meteoriteyaris
08-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Still gotta mount and wire the Tach yet (Glowshift white-faced 7-color 3 3/4" one). The instructions say "Red wire to Battery, Black to ground, Green to tach wire and white to lighting" But my tach has 3 long wires in a harness (Red,Black,Green) and 3 short (6" long) wires, Red, Black, and Yellow. Trying to find out where they all go, but Glowshift isn't answering their email. Why in heck would the short lighting wires need a separate hot and ground, and if they do, why not just tie them into the long red and black? Anyone got a clue? Please PM me.

US Model 2007 Yaris Meteorite Metallic
Fogs, Tach, Altezza black tail lights, side graphics, tinted windows, shorty antenna, sport shifter, short-throw shifter, hood gas strut, pedal covers, woodgrained dash, outside temp gauge, cruise control, chrome spoke hubcaps, rear spoiler, clear grill bra/rockshield, mud flaps, TRD muffler, K&N and re-routed air intake, retracting windshield sunshade, sirius radio, GPS, trailer hitch, Rocky Mountain Radar detector.

rwseattle
08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Drifto do you have a side view picture of your speedhut gauge. Thx.

drifto
08-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Drifto do you have a side view picture of your speedhut gauge. Thx.

ill try to post it up tomorrow

Meteorite Man
09-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Finally put the tach in. First I want to thank everyone for their imputs and help. Man oh man that was a big help. The installation was a piece of cake but do not use the owner's manual to reference the fuse slot numbers. Use the diagram on the fuse panel door/panel. If you go with the numbers as reference from the owner's manual the neighborhood kids will be learning a whole new language by the time you are done. #24 in the book is totally different than on the panel. Good thing for wireless internet, I took the laptop outside and kept referring back to this thread for details, photos and imput.

I used a Sun Super II Tach 3 3/8" WhiteFace. Looks good and should be easy to see in any light. As for the Add-A-Fuse. Don't pay big cash for the Grote's. AutoZone has the LittleFuse brand for $6.00 and it comes with spare fuses. Green and black package. Can't miss them.

I mounted it on the little air-vent hump on the driver's side just inboard of the A-pillar. I used a stainless steel self-tapping screw (figured with temp.changes and condensation could be a rust-bleed issue). I stayed far enough back to keep the screw from interfering with the twist action of the vent. (need that vent to defog the inside of the window).
Maybe an hour total time of install. Make it two with parts gathering and rereads of the instructions and the YarisWorld thread.

I used the #8 slot on the fuse panel and the light works just fine. The ground was perfect, thanks for the suggestion there. I ended up twisting and bending the metal tach mount a bit inboard to bring it into a favorable view for me. Mounted straight away on the hump made it appear that the tach was too much of a line of site at my left shoulder. Now I have it perfect in my peripheral.

I ran the wires between the pillar panel and the dash. I used a rat-tail file and filed a nice half circle to allow the wires to route without pinching them. As someone here had mentioned, take your time popping off the panels. The clips will break if you have goriila fingers.

uncleyaris
09-03-2007, 07:33 PM
great job.

KSIbucky
09-04-2007, 10:01 PM
pictures coming either today or tomorrow

KSIbucky
09-04-2007, 11:30 PM
here it is your going to have to wait for in the day sorry

the car under want to race me

um ya this car also broke a record in utah

lgcharlot
09-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't usually need a tach for just driving around town, but I want one in the mountains to avoid over-revving on long steep downgrades. Gas engines don't have much compression braking ability compared to the Cummins diesel in my truck, so it's pretty easy to exceed redline in second or third gear on a 7% downgrade in a 5-speed Yaris or Scion.

I like the look of the AutoMeter model 2306 - it's a 2.5" pedestal mount, 6000rpm tach. I want to install one, but I have not been able to determine if it is compatible with the Yaris tach signal. I have tried emailing the manufacturer for tech support but no response after 10 days. Datcon also makes 4000 and 6000 rpm tachs with the plain black housing style that I want, but again I have not been able to determine if they are compatible.

tomm9050
09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
does anyone have or know of any more detailed install instructions?
same sunpro II

with photos

THanks!!

GrassrootsMS
09-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Sorry, this might be a bit unrelated, but can the instrument panel from a Yaris sedan be swapped into a Liftback?

KSIbucky
09-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Sorry, this might be a bit unrelated, but can the instrument panel from a Yaris sedan be swapped into a Liftback?

I would start a new thread on this one I think so

sanityassassinv2
10-19-2008, 06:47 PM
I recently installed a Sunpro Powerline Tach (CP2010/2012 type) and installed it on the steering wheel column. I also put in a blue LED to match my blue A/C controls. I am very happy with it, but these tachs are getting hard to find. Found mine on clearance for $20 at Pep Boys.

sportin83
10-22-2008, 11:33 PM
thats a nice looking sunpro. can u find more of these?

sanityassassinv2
10-23-2008, 08:11 AM
thats a nice looking sunpro. can u find more of these?

You can still find them on Ebay and Amazon, and maybe at a local auto parts store on the clearance shelf. The one I have is the CP2010, they also a have a white face model called the CP2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-1-Performance-Tachometer-CP2010/dp/B000CS98MQ

yarisugi
11-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Sorry, replying to an old thread.
How is the reliability on these GlowShift gauges?
I see them pop up every time I enter "yaris" and "gauge" in Google.

sanityassassinv2
11-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Sorry, replying to an old thread.
How is the reliability on these GlowShift gauges?
I see them pop up every time I enter "yaris" and "gauge" in Google.

I think the general concensus is that "they look pretty cool." Personaly, I found the Tach needle response time barely acceptable--that's why I went with the Sunpro. I don't have any personal experience with any of the other Glowshift guages (water temp, oil press, etc.), but I have heard that they work just fine.

Revsson
11-08-2008, 10:19 PM
I recently installed a Sunpro Powerline Tach (CP2010/2012 type) and installed it on the steering wheel column. I also put in a blue LED to match my blue A/C controls. I am very happy with it, but these tachs are getting hard to find. Found mine on clearance for $20 at Pep Boys.

I bought one of these in 2004, but with the white face. I was going to
install it in my Geo Metro, but never did. Only used it to check the idle
settings, but temporarily hooking it up under the hood. It was great, and
I bought it mostly because it was compatible with the 3 cyl engine.
I paid $40 for it back then.

I do like that it is flat in the back, allowing you to open the driver's glovebox.
Not sure the white face would look good in the Yaris :frown:
plus my 2009 has the amber lit speedometer.

Did you mount it with sticky tape or drill through the steering column cover?

sanityassassinv2
11-10-2008, 06:59 AM
I bought one of these in 2004, but with the white face. I was going to
install it in my Geo Metro, but never did. Only used it to check the idle
settings, but temporarily hooking it up under the hood. It was great, and
I bought it mostly because it was compatible with the 3 cyl engine.
I paid $40 for it back then.

I do like that it is flat in the back, allowing you to open the driver's glovebox.
Not sure the white face would look good in the Yaris :frown:
plus my 2009 has the amber lit speedometer.

Did you mount it with sticky tape or drill through the steering column cover?

Drilled through the cover.

XYaris
12-25-2008, 08:51 PM
My brother and I did the install yesterday on my 2009 LB and I just wanted to note a few differences.
1. Tach wire on the OBD is tan but in the same bottom left location.
2. The dimmer wire that I used was one of the two brown wires. I chose the darker one and it works perfectly with the light switch (on with the headlights, off without).
3. I used an add-a-fuse with the #22 slot.

Thanks for the info on this thread!

Revsson
12-26-2008, 01:59 AM
My brother and I did the install yesterday on my 2009 LB and I just wanted to note a few differences.
1. Tach wire on the OBD is tan but in the same bottom left location.
2. The dimmer wire that I used was one of the two brown wires. I chose the darker one and it works perfectly with the light switch (on with the headlights, off without).
3. I used an add-a-fuse with the #22 slot.

Thanks for the info on this thread!

Congratulations on the install of the tach, but hey, let's see a pic of that installation ! :tongue:

XYaris
12-27-2008, 05:13 PM
all ive got for the moment. i was obviously psyched/suprised to see it working.

auxmike
12-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Does anybody market a really small tach? One with an analog (needle) display?

XYaris
12-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I bought this at autozone for 30 bucks...2 and 3/8". thats as small as i think would be practical. Any bigger would also be a little "boy racer" for my taste. In my online research i think i saw some watch-like tachs selling for way too much.

ddongbap
12-28-2008, 06:07 AM
all ive got for the moment. i was obviously psyched/suprised to see it working.

LOL OMG U HAVE TEH SAME TACH AS ME.

My hair isn't as curly though.

AlexNet0
12-28-2008, 08:39 AM
same as mine too

LOL OMG U HAVE TEH SAME TACH AS ME.

Revsson
12-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Does that interfere with the driver's glovebox at all?

XYaris
12-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Does that interfere with the driver's glovebox at all?

i actually did not drill through the steering column cover and used a velcro strip to attach it. (kinda lame but effective) this way i can access the glove box if necessary.

mikenacarato
12-29-2008, 01:20 AM
definately not the same wire colors as my '09. good writeup though, it did help me get to where i needed to get to. the new tach signal wire is in its original location but is now light brown

TickleTimeTim
01-15-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm excited to get a tach and put it in now, but am missing one last detail. What do I set the redline at? I just want to know how high in the rpms that I can ride up into without redlining. I have an 07 liftback 5 spd if that makes a difference.

TickleTimeTim
01-15-2009, 11:31 PM
nvm, just saw on toyotanation that the yaris has a rev limiter somewhere around 6200. anyone know if this is accurate?

PETERPOOP
01-16-2009, 02:35 AM
pretty sure that is correct. i wouldn't go no higher than that.

33OH
01-16-2009, 08:12 AM
nvm, just saw on toyotanation that the yaris has a rev limiter somewhere around 6200. anyone know if this is accurate?

Yeah it's around there. I've only done it once since I've had my tach installed.

MR. CANTON
01-22-2009, 11:25 PM
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/images/funkygarage/553/car%20008.jpg

33OH
01-23-2009, 08:06 AM
^ Now that's just awesome.

frownonfun
02-03-2009, 07:54 PM
my first mod... i had to share. anyway i'd like to say this thread helped but i guess i'm just not that handy with this type of stuff. paid someone to do this... i think it turned out well. i didn't realize how much overkill an 8000rpm tach would be but oh well it's on there now.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9310/img3141wj2.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8799/img3140gu1.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/698/img3139dk4.jpg

auxmike
02-03-2009, 08:03 PM
my first mod... i had to share. anyway i'd like to say this thread helped but i guess i'm just not that handy with this type of stuff. paid someone to do this... i think it turned out well. i didn't realize how much overkill an 8000rpm tach would be but oh well it's on there now.

Did they change the guage colors to orange for '09?

frownonfun
02-03-2009, 08:11 PM
i'm guessing so. its not just the pic if that's what you mean. it's pretty orange in person. i had an 07 sedan and i could have sworn the gauge lights were whiter but couldn't remember since i sold it not long after i bought it.

Thirty-Nine
02-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Okay ... I think I need to get a tach. Someone makes/made a thin tach (I think) that would still allow you to use your driver's side glove box. Anyone knows who makes that slim tach?

auxmike
02-03-2009, 09:29 PM
I have an A/T, so I use the Scanguage tach.:cool:

TickleTimeTim
02-11-2009, 11:08 AM
stuck. got the glowshift 7 color with shift light. red in 24, grounded, and illumination in fuse 31 (meter and gauge) it is lit up (red) can't change color and can't figure how to connect ecu cable. don't know wether to jam the cord down in the port or to cut and tie?

TickleTimeTim
02-11-2009, 11:19 AM
so, back light flickers on tach, but when i rev the color stays solid. ( still can't get needle to move) what's going on?

33OH
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
If the light is flickering your illumination wire must not be hooked up securely, or you have a bad tach. The vibration from revving must be knocking it into place? :iono:

Just a thought/guess.

TickleTimeTim
02-11-2009, 11:32 AM
had the green and yellow mixed up...ha. magic.

33OH
02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
All good now then?

TickleTimeTim
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
hah. yeah, thanks for quick reply

33OH
02-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Np, post a pic of it. =)

TickleTimeTim
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
took some crappy pics off of my black berry, will have them posted soon.
only two problems:
1. tach not very well lit during day (like i said, i used fuse 31, meter and guage)
2. after puting it in, i gave it a rev or two and right before reaching idle again the car slightly shakes. not sure if it always did that or if i'm just nervous that i might have screwed something up.

other than that, thanks everyone for the help. thanks thewifesyaris for the glowshift.
crappy pics will be up shortly.

frownonfun
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM
hey so i have my tach installed but how can i be sure it is giving me the right reading? i hear people talk about hitting 2500rpms and up to like 5000rpms and this makes me wonder if something isn't hooked up right cause i am not getting anywhere near that on my tach. my engine sounds like it is going to explode at around 2600rpms so i really haven't gotten much higher than that. i just assumed 3000 was redline from the way it sounds when i rev that high.

any thoughts?

1NZYaris1
02-12-2009, 02:01 AM
hey so i have my tach installed but how can i be sure it is giving me the right reading? i hear people talk about hitting 2500rpms and up to like 5000rpms and this makes me wonder if something isn't hooked up right cause i am not getting anywhere near that on my tach. my engine sounds like it is going to explode at around 2600rpms so i really haven't gotten much higher than that. i just assumed 3000 was redline from the way it sounds when i rev that high.

any thoughts?
Has your Tach got pre set cycliders 2,4,6,8
if so set it too 2 and it will read properly.the yaris has twin coils
and you are only taking the reading from one of them. :thumbsup:

frownonfun
02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
i don't think it can be set at 2... only 4, 6, and 8. and it is on 4 right now so idk.

Revsson
02-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Okay ... I think I need to get a tach. Someone makes/made a thin tach (I think) that would still allow you to use your driver's side glove box. Anyone knows who makes that slim tach?

Maybe you are thinking of the SunPro as shown in posting #84 ?
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=148442&postcount=84

I have a white one, but haven't installed it. I like the looks of the black one.
They are hard to find now. I got mine on eBay a long time ago for use with
my Geo Metro, but never installed it there, either. I paid about $40 several
years ago. I've seen them on eBay now and then.

CP2010 is black face, CP2012 is white face.

Here is one place it is listed, but not sure if in stock:
http://www.tradervar.com/3-1-2-Performance-Tachometer-CP2010-Sunpro-P35409.htm

I've been contemplating a ScangaugeII installation.

expo2
02-15-2009, 08:11 AM
8000 rpm tach is right. The engine redlines at 6400 (I think). Set your shift light at 5000.

Altitude
02-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Speedhut Tach. Mounted with 3M tape (the good stuff). Yes, it clears the glove box behind the wheel - no problem.

Pricy but perfect for the need IMHO. Build your own here: http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Tachometer-auto_number-694.htm

frownonfun
02-15-2009, 04:26 PM
thats looks nice and clean... i like that one.

daf62757
02-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Why didn't you just buy a center cluster with a tach in it?

Altitude
02-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Why didn't you just buy a center cluster with a tach in it?

They are expensive ($600) and there was much unresolved debate on this forum as to whether or not it would be a simple swap.

On that topic though - it still boggles my mind how Toyota reasoned that not including a tach in all MT Yarii - while including them with the AT's - was a good decision. So, yeah, I wish mine had come with the tach cluster, but it didn't so I bought one and installed it.

Revsson
02-20-2009, 10:22 AM
thats looks nice and clean... i like that one.

I agree, it looks great. Didn't realize that 3M tape was that good for
that type of installation. Being that my car is new, I am leery of drilling
holes, though if I took my time, I could do it right. :tongue:

A-tron
03-23-2009, 06:01 PM
im diging the center mount.

mackie421
03-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Finally got around to installing my Sunpro tach in my '08 today. Thanks to all of you for your information! Couldn't have done it without this thread.

I used all of the same connections, except that the bottom left wire coming out of the OBD port in my '08 was orange, not blue-green. I think someone mentioned that his '09 was orange as well.

Sorry no pics, but it looks pretty much the same as everyone else's 2 5/8 inch tachs..

FallingSakura
04-13-2009, 06:53 AM
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/images/funkygarage/553/car%20008.jpg

What tach is that? does it clear the glove box?

schleppy
04-13-2009, 07:57 AM
I also installed my tach last week using this thread. The only thing I did differently was run the lighting wire to the power wire so the gauge is always backlit.

GnomeBody
04-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Here's My tach install

I used the instructions on this thread with one change (I hooked the dimmer to the stereo dimmer seeing as the new head unit didnt use it anymore)

I also chose to mount it in the upper glove to try to make it less noticeable. In hind sight, I wish the Tach itsself was a little larger and easyier to read, but hey, I can always get a bigger one later

Here are some pics
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/DIscoGnome/Yarimus/Tachinstall2.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/DIscoGnome/Yarimus/Tachinstall.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/DIscoGnome/Yarimus/Tachinstall4.jpg

The Ground Wire
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/DIscoGnome/Yarimus/Tachinstall6.jpg

The Tach signal Wire
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/DIscoGnome/Yarimus/Tachinstall7.jpg

The power Wire
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/DIscoGnome/Yarimus/Tachinstall9.jpg

Im still a little unsure about how safe it is to be running the power wire from the fuse box like I did I gess I can always change it later too.

Thirty-Nine
05-28-2009, 01:30 PM
I just received my 3-3/4" Autometer Autogage tach. Let the installation melee begin! :-p

FYI, I found a video on "How to install a tachometer on a Toyota Echo."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVWD98_nHd4

Is this similar to installing on a Yaris?

DevilGirl
08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm trying to understand how to install a tach. I've been attempting to research on here, read through this thread, and find what will be best for me (as I'm sure most of you have seen my different posts on this subject by now).

My question is this, can this be done without drilling holes anywhere in either the dash or other places? I'm sure I can mount the actual tach to the steering column using velcro or a strong doublesided tape. However, I am concerned about the wire routing. Is it possible? Has anyone done something like this?

Truthfully, being as I don't know that much about these kinds of wiring (I've done stereo installs only), the pictures that are here help, but I don't completely understand their orientation to the vehicle itself. Can someone help explain?

Altitude
08-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm trying to understand how to install a tach. I've been attempting to research on here, read through this thread, and find what will be best for me (as I'm sure most of you have seen my different posts on this subject by now).

My question is this, can this be done without drilling holes anywhere in either the dash or other places? I'm sure I can mount the actual tach to the steering column using velcro or a strong doublesided tape. However, I am concerned about the wire routing. Is it possible? Has anyone done something like this?

Truthfully, being as I don't know that much about these kinds of wiring (I've done stereo installs only), the pictures that are here help, but I don't completely understand their orientation to the vehicle itself. Can someone help explain?

I didn't have to drill any holes for mine. If I ever remove it all I would have to do is clean up the 3M tape residue and no one would ever know it was there.

DevilGirl
08-12-2009, 08:51 PM
So I was just showing this thread to my boyfriend. He doesn't like how in the pictures people have tapped into the OBD port for the rpm readout. As he put it, "it voids the warranty like a sunofabitch." Is there a way to create a OBD plug-in for any regular aftermarket dial tach, so that no wires are actually snipped in this process?

CTScott
08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Warranties are voided by tapping wires, unless something is damaged by doing so. The tach signal on the OBDII connector is there for diagnostic purposes.

You could purchase a J1962 male connector to plug into the OBDII port to grab the tach signal, but you'd still need to grab power and an illumination from wires under the dash.

cali yaris
08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I've done mods like that and never ever had a problem with dealer servicing, never been questioned about things like tachs etc. This is something for each person to choose what is comfortable for them, and depends somewhat on their relationship with the dealer.

On my Yaris, I know a dealer is never going to see it for servicing again, so my choice with this one is easy. :smile:

RedRide
08-13-2009, 03:11 AM
It's relatively easy to install a tach in the Yaris as all the wire connections that are required can be made in the same general location, right near the steering column.

No drilling, etc is nessary if you use double sided tape to mount the tach.

Personally, I installed a "Speed Hut Revolution tach" (after seeing Altitude's post and pics) and really like it. :smile:

Altitude
08-13-2009, 04:06 AM
So I was just showing this thread to my boyfriend. He doesn't like how in the pictures people have tapped into the OBD port for the rpm readout. As he put it, "it voids the warranty like a sunofabitch." Is there a way to create a OBD plug-in for any regular aftermarket dial tach, so that no wires are actually snipped in this process?

I didn't tap the tach wire. I left the end of the signal wire from the tach bare and twisted (tinning it with solder would probably have been better) and just stuck it into the tach wire hole on the OBD connector and put a small drop of glue on it to hold it in place. It can be easily removed.

There are a couple of options for the power and lighting but you'll likely have to tap the lighting unless you want to wire the tach's backlight as always on with the 12v. You can use one of those fuse taps that connect at the fuse box.

fmicle
08-13-2009, 05:43 AM
Just finished installing my tach, but I haven't connected the illumination wire. I don't know which way to go, the brown wire from the dimmer or the #9 fuse?

I'd like to have dimming for this one, but I guess I can live without it, I prefer connecting it to the fuse even if that doesn't give me dimming. Can anyone confirm?

RedRide
08-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Just finished installing my tach, but I haven't connected the illumination wire. I don't know which way to go, the brown wire from the dimmer or the #9 fuse?

I'd like to have dimming for this one, but I guess I can live without it, I prefer connecting it to the fuse even if that doesn't give me dimming. Can anyone confirm?

I connected my tach's illumination wires to the #2 fuse (Panel1).

I also added a "dimmer" that you might be intetresed in.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20341&highlight=dim+tach

fmicle
08-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Finally got this project done. Cutting the hole in the glove compartment with only a 1/8" drill and sand paper was a bitch... Quite happy with the result though :thumbup:

I also connected the illumination wire to the illumination fuse in the fuse panel. Don't remember the number by heart, but it's in the owner's manual. So I get the tach light on whenever all other instruments are lit.

http://pgu4qw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pvV70MgV6ry6pe8buih2ri_PH27IY4gZkgeLceW1_NylxARr-Wy8WXFxjwS-XH1jCMCq0A2l5lOMUD9bZglwxNQ/IMG_1720.jpg

http://pgu4qw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p-vOtkW_0Jm-j8LeNDeL5FAkxlo8h1SpRoi4a9oOZZq_Pg6NbOSElXRj9U6Uw1 VNYg2EjZgqt4mZWDGVWN_vGcw/IMG_1723.jpg

http://pgu4qw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pso95ldRtX4tvoD9_4YV-UBWE6EFaBBTSdBCm6y8_xsyOJo7EROfHS4OMvPVmhUM7YbCnaO zJDck8K156wo1cBVAtzbvpvxD9/IMG_1724.jpg

darkMINI
07-05-2010, 07:00 PM
So what if your tach signal wire on the OBDII plug is orange instead of greenish-blue? I have an '08 3-door M/T.

RedRide
07-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Later models do no have the greenish-blue wire for the tach.
My '09 for example has a brownish wire for the tach.
Just use the wire that is in the correct position regardless of what the color might be.

darkMINI
07-05-2010, 09:05 PM
WILCO, thanx

darkMINI
07-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Ok, next question, got the tach mounted and hooked up. Its an 8,000 rpm tach and it for reads perfectly up to 3,500rpm, but it for some reason won't budge any further. Ant ideas? Thanks

fmicle
07-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Defect? Can you see any obstruction that would prevent the needle from moving?

darkMINI
07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
I guess it could be a defect. I have everything hooked up except the Illumination wire, and I don't believe that matters.
Its a 4,6,8 cylinder model and the switch is set on 4.

fmicle
07-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Yeah, if it doesn't want to move past 3500 rpm, there must be something wrong inside...

darkMINI
07-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Yep, went back to the auto parts store and borrowed a brand new one to compare it right in the parking lot. It turns out I had a bad tach, so they swapped me for the good one on the spot. Now I'm in business!

fmicle
07-16-2010, 01:45 AM
Haha, sounds familiar, I had the same problem with my tach, got a new one, worked fine, so I returned the bad one.

RedRide
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Yep, went back to the auto parts store and borrowed a brand new one to compare it right in the parking lot. It turns out I had a bad tach, so they swapped me for the good one on the spot. Now I'm in business!

Glad you got it workin'. :thumbsup::smile:
Where did you mount your tach? Is is a panel mount or a pedestal mount?

CueBall
09-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Fmicle, did you mount your tach in the glovebox? I cant see the pics.

sleey0
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Wish some company would come out with a nice A pillar guage pod already lol.

I am not a fan of drilling thru the driver's side compartment like that.

I suppose even using guage pedastals and drilling them into the A pillar would work (garm had a pic and he did this with his tc IIRC).

maxxman420
09-22-2010, 03:10 PM
i really need to do this. i have the same tach but in white. mine is just sitting where that johnson and johnson thing is sitting in the side cluster. haha

fmicle
09-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Fmicle, did you mount your tach in the glovebox? I cant see the pics.

OK, try to click on the links directly...

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pOLY99BkNRZkeBbJc6db7NXUqOOlRQFkfKNr2KR29XkDLHsD sZeogGrdDbwjnzrt_bUO3bLWtKicWLohbCz6z9Q/IMG_1720.jpg?psid=1
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p979icoUP6PSlvcQLFTikS7sXfe2oQKSz385gBq4z13XJUmA PJ6AnPSCz3NybEVS-hgvedy33iD4ar0kJY5nlgg/IMG_1723.jpg?psid=1
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pqH-0G9BOGONzg-9mTU0IfQenAIDoGDVQ4rNSdgP7iJ2VNZt5mx5hb1niyIvRbHri yk1kjQX8W8xQwZ9-JAyQDA/IMG_1724.jpg?psid=1

RedRide
10-12-2010, 10:41 PM
guys, i know that its great to get help in installing a tach. BUT i must say for some of the experienced stick sh. (manual) drivers, like myself, the tach is not necessary. i drive by hearing the engine and i can tell you it works perfectly OK. i am just curious....how many of you are actually gonna use the tach for the purpose of changing gears.

Granted, you can drive a car without a tach.
However, have you ever seen a race or performance car without one or ever heard of a race driver etc who does not insist on one?

Besides if you got your sys turned up, you can't hear the engine that well can you.:wink:

Anyway, one really does not use a tach for changing gears as a matter of routine. A tach is simply just one more way of monitoring an engine

BTW I have been driving a manual for the last 45 years! :smile:

fmicle
10-13-2010, 12:41 AM
BTW I have been driving a manual for the last 45 years! :smile:

Wow, that would make you at least 61 years old! :bow:

RedRide
10-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Wow, that would make you at least 61 years old! :bow:

Actually, I am 63 years old! :biggrin:

Just abouit every car I ever owned was a manual because I enjoy going through the gears and driving in general.

BTW, my very first car was a '57 Chevy and my second one was a "55 Chevy. Back then, they were not yet considered classics. They were just cheap older cars :smile:

metalshark
10-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Tach dreamer update: I've finished the 33 LED analog display installed in the display trim similar to my earlier BS2 tach. Those of you from the LA basin may have seen the only operational prototype of the gen 1 tach. I've finished the firmware (with the help of Prallax.com forum members) on a breadboard for a digital readout. It's running in my Yaris today. I'm changing the 4x7 segment display from red to green. I had a setback learning to solder surface mount chips for the analog display.
I'll have to do a version 1.1 layout before it's kit ready. I love the headrest video camera mount I found here. When success is apparent watch for the video coming soon to a forum near you.

OTB
12-06-2010, 06:37 PM
A question for this installation....

Could you also tap the tach and illumination wires that plug into the main speedo panel? There is a tach signal even for cars without a tach display. I know becuase I plugged a canadian panel into an american liftback and the tach worked fine.

cheers

jrsyaris
01-07-2011, 12:27 AM
i would like to put the instrument cluster w/ tach, in a us spec, 2007 hatch back.
will the cluster physically fit, and how much of the wiring to the cluster would
have to be re done? has any body tried this before? thanks for any help in this
area. bob smith, ohio

CTScott
01-07-2011, 06:37 AM
i would like to put the instrument cluster w/ tach, in a us spec, 2007 hatch back.
will the cluster physically fit, and how much of the wiring to the cluster would
have to be re done? has any body tried this before? thanks for any help in this
area. bob smith, ohio

It is plug and play, as long as you purchase one from a comparably equipped car (i.e. if you have ABS it has ABS, if you don't it shouldn't). There are many threads on here about people having done so, or desperately searching for one to do so. The hardest part is finding one, since so few Yaris in the US have had them.

dumb0
02-21-2011, 03:43 PM
hey guys! i just installed my tachometer yesterday!
special thanks to mr. CTSCOTT for the wiring suggestions!

will post pic soon. orayt!

next stop, suspensions! :))

Ron Powley
04-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Tach is important to me. Hearing aids, and excess road noise make it impossible to hear the little hum of the engine.

Brianr4
04-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Just installed my tach and wanted to compare RPM's to make sure it is accurate.
2008 3dr, 5 sp manual.

Turning 3000 at 70 mph.
2500 at about 60.

RedRide
04-09-2011, 10:12 PM
That sounds right
Mine reads about 2800 @ 65mph in 5th

Yours is callibrated/configured properly for a 4 cylinder.

BIGTAZ351
04-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Brainr4
There isn't much diff between the Auto and 5 speed, (I imagine thats why the epa guesses we'll get nearly the same) I'm running about the same "R's" with my auto...a drop to 3rd puts me at 4300+/- @ 70.

Brianr4
04-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks!
I didn't think I would be turning so much at 70mph.
If we had a 6 speed gas mileage would be close to the Prius.
Ha, I guess that is why they would never put a 6sp in the Yaris!

Who_Is_SB
07-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Just installed my tach, 3 3/4" Glowshift Elite 10 Colour. Behind the steering wheel with full access to the glovebox behind it c:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/283438_10150253397793225_630763224_7540264_6925098 _n.jpg
[Taken with Nikon D3000 w/ 10.5mm Fisheye]

Betrivent
08-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Followed this DIY, works fine. You can actually use any of the "top" row of the OBDII connector for ground.

KSIbucky
08-08-2011, 03:14 AM
why would you though when there's a body ground right there

RedRide
08-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Right where?

KSIbucky
08-10-2011, 01:48 AM
There's ground right by your left foot. read the diy. why would you want to ground to a obd2 rather than a factory ground point

RedRide
08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
There's ground right by your left foot. read the diy. why would you want to ground to a obd2 rather than a factory ground point

Yeah, behind the left kick panel (by your left foot) is where I grounded mine.
I did that out habit more or less as most all Toyotas have factory ground pont there.
However, the OBD2 is closser so why not use it?

KSIbucky
08-12-2011, 02:40 AM
The factory ground is better. Why tap into a wire thats a foot away from a ground point? The factory ground is exactly that a ground its not a obdii point it has a purpose use it.

RedRide
08-12-2011, 09:08 PM
The factory ground is better. Why tap into a wire thats a foot away from a ground point? The factory ground is exactly that a ground its not a obdii point it has a purpose use it.

Not really, If something has a positive ground and can more than handel the current load imposed on it, that is all that is required or ever needed

A tach is a very low current draw item and the OBD2 ground is more than adequate.

Don't loose site of the fact that if you are getting the tach signal frome the OBD2 to begin with, it will also be good for the ground. All modern tachs use LED/low current lighting.
Otherwise, it would be like runninng a perfectly adequate 24ga wire for an item's positve and then, runing an 8ga wire for the ground for example. There would be simply no need for a 8ga ground.

CueBall
08-27-2011, 06:00 PM
I installed my tach today. The light works, but the tach doesn't. :mad:
I know I have power and ground because I can test those with my test-lite.
Is there any way to test the tach signal circut?
I am useing the tan wire furthest to the left on the OBD connector, as shown in this thread.

I get no lite with a test light on that wire, but my volt meter reads about 6.8v.

CTScott
08-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Never use a test light on a "signal". Test lights draw current and connecting one to an ECM signal could potentially damage the ECM.

That being said, it is hard without an oscilloscope to verify a pulsed signal.

Lil Abner
08-28-2011, 09:33 AM
I installed my tach today. The light works, but the tach doesn't. :mad:
I know I have power and ground because I can test those with my test-lite.
Is there any way to test the tach signal circut?
I am useing the tan wire furthest to the left on the OBD connector, as shown in this thread.

I get no lite with a test light on that wire, but my volt meter reads about 6.8v.

Well, the tach signal needs a solid ground in order to work. That being said, are you sure you don't have your positive and negative wires flipped? Also, HOW did you tap into the tach signal wire? Did you use a BLUE t-tap or scotch lock?

CueBall
08-28-2011, 04:37 PM
I hope I didn't hurt the ECM. :frown: It seems to be running ok so far.
Turns out I had a bad tach. Wireing was fine. Works good now with new tach.
I actually put a pin in the port (for tach signal). I hate to splice into wires if I can avoid it. Thanks for the replies.

isra
09-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Is there some other place i can get tach signal from???

CTScott
09-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Is there some other place i can get tach signal from???

Yes, on the cluster connector or ECM connector. All three locations are tied to the same signal.

KSIbucky
09-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Why do you want some where else?

Strider199
12-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Ok I think it's time those with a 2012 yaris without a tach start posting their installs.
I cant believe my 5 speed manual doesn't come with a tach. I'm looking for a good spot to mount a tach which is close to the connections needed. Air bags in the a-pillar make me nervous.

Who's first? :wink:

CTScott
12-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Ok I think it's time those with a 2012 yaris without a tach start posting their installs.
I cant believe my 5 speed manual doesn't come with a tach. I'm looking for a good spot to mount a tach which is close to the connections needed. Air bags in the a-pillar make me nervous.

Who's first? :wink:

For the 2012, the Tach signal is still on pin 9 (light green wire for 2012) of the OBD connector.

The pink wire on the key switch is still ignition switched power for the 2012.

Strider199
12-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the info CTScott.
I went out today to a few stores looking for a tach I like. Did not find one. I bought a new horn which I will install when it warms up this weekend but I'm still looking for a decent tach. Auto Zone and Canadian Tire just don't have the selection. On-line they have a ton of gauges but I hate the extra duty I have to pay being in Canada. Any stores around the Hamilton - GTA area which have a decent selection?

avlisk
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
What about a Toyota tach from the SE model? I'm considering buying a Yaris LE automatic, but I want a tach, too. So, would an SE replacement tach be an easy installation? And fit right in the dash where there's a big, round space for one? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Ken S.

CTScott
02-11-2012, 10:21 AM
What about a Toyota tach from the SE model? I'm considering buying a Yaris LE automatic, but I want a tach, too. So, would an SE replacement tach be an easy installation? And fit right in the dash where there's a big, round space for one? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Ken S.

Yes it will work, but finding one will be very difficult until the 2012 has been out long enough for some to make it to junkyards. Per your other thread about buying one from the dealer; You may have a hard time getting the dealer to order a cluster for you, as they often will not let you order a cluster that doesn't match your VIN configuration. If you are buying a 2012, you can try to make your sale dependent on them ordering the cluster (just make sure you get it in writing on the contract).

RedRide
02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
On the '09, it the light brown wire for the tach signal.
The brown wire is in the exact same position as the blue wire.

It had me stumped for short while when installing my tack as I also have an '09.

ijose 845
07-31-2012, 07:17 PM
hey im having problems with the greenish blue wire for the rpm read outs. do i stick the wire in the same slot as the greenish blue one? or do i splice the green and the greenish wire together?

CTScott
07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
hey im having problems with the greenish blue wire for the rpm read outs. do i stick the wire in the same slot as the greenish blue one? or do i splice the green and the greenish wire together?

Always make a good connection with wiring. Either use a tap splice connecter (that crimps onto the two wires cutting through the insulation to make contact with both wires) or solder and heat shrink the connections.

ijose 845
07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
oh okay i got it thanks! and as for the light wire is it okay if i put it on the ingition fuse?? it works pretty well for me now! will it hurt anything?

CTScott
07-31-2012, 10:40 PM
oh okay i got it thanks! and as for the light wire is it okay if i put it on the ingition fuse?? it works pretty well for me now! will it hurt anything?

That's fine if you do it with an add-a-fuse or tap the pink ignition wire on the ignition switch connector. Shoving the fuse in with the wire under it is not a good way to do things.

ijose 845
07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
That's fine if you do it with an add-a-fuse or tap the pink ignition wire on the ignition switch connector. Shoving the fuse in with the wire under it is not a good way to do things.

ahh thats what i did....but its in their really snugg. im just afriad to cut any of the factory wires cause i dont want to cut too much or mess up and ruin the car completely :/

guy2can
11-26-2012, 10:25 PM
2004 Echo RS H/B: Installed an Equus Tach from Canadian Tire, picked up power via add fuse (7.5a)at the "ACC" fuse, and also spliced it for he display power. The tach wire on this card on the OBD2 plug was black with a silver band.

cdilmore
11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Sharrrp!

xavivolcom
02-13-2013, 12:39 AM
hey i just install my tach but it have some delay and when the engine is in neutral de reading goes under 1000 rpm.. can any one help? or

YarisAddict
08-29-2013, 11:19 PM
I Spliced the green wire into an orange wire that is on the far bottom left on the ecu port. I've read online that that was where I'm supposed to do it since I have tire pressure monitor. The orange wire is in replace of the greenish blue wire your talking about in cars with tire pressure monitor. It has been driving me crazy that it wont read rpms. Lights work and it has power, also I put my ground exactly where you have yours. Any Ideas?

Thx

09 Yaris3drhatch

CTScott
08-29-2013, 11:22 PM
I Spliced the green wire into an orange wire that is on the far bottom left on the ecu port. I've read online that that was where I'm supposed to do it since I have tire pressure monitor. The orange wire is in replace of the greenish blue wire your talking about in cars with tire pressure monitor. It has been driving me crazy that it wont read rpms. Lights work and it has power, also I put my ground exactly where you have yours. Any Ideas?

Thx

09 Yaris3drhatch

The orange wire is the correct one for your car. Double check your splice, particularly if you used a tap splice, as that wire is only about 24 AWG, so the tap splice needs to be a tiny one to make a proper connection.

YarisAddict
08-30-2013, 12:45 AM
I used the one that came with the kit. Is there any other way to splice the wires together? I'm just afraid now that the orange wire is basically in half once I remove that little plastic connector. Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to the wiring side of things.

CTScott
08-30-2013, 06:53 AM
I used the one that came with the kit. Is there any other way to splice the wires together? I'm just afraid now that the orange wire is basically in half once I remove that little plastic connector. Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to the wiring side of things.

The best method is to strip insulation off both wires and solder them together and then tape or heat shrink. But, crimp on splices are fine as long as they are the correct size for the wires. If you remove yours and find it did cut the wire, it is actually not a big deal, since the tach signal to the OBD connector is really not used by anything.

Punishdln
12-20-2013, 08:51 AM
I've got a yaris 3 2011 and i want to instal a tachometer but where i can find a guide ? Or it is the same things than i have to do ?
Also do you think i have to put off the steering wheel ?

CTScott
12-20-2013, 11:50 AM
I've got a yaris 3 2011 and i want to instal a tachometer but where i can find a guide ? Or it is the same things than i have to do ?
Also do you think i have to put off the steering wheel ?

Bonjour!

For your 3rd generation French-built Yaris it is similar.

The Tach wire is still in the same place on the diagnostic connector. The wire color may be light green or beige, but the position is the same:

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo163/ctscott329/TachWire.jpg

For ignition switched power, if you have a key (instead of the Smart Entry system) you will use the pink wire on the ignition switch connector.

For ground you can use a bolt into metal under the dash, or any white wire with a black stripe.

For illumination, it looks like your French Yaris does not have the dimmer rheostat for adjusting the brightness of the speedometer, so you would instead use the sky blue wire in pin 18 of the headlight switch connector. Pin 18 has a pink wire on one side of it and a violet wire on the other side of it.

Punishdln
12-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Okey thank you very much for informations i'm french so after a traduction i will try to find the needed wire and ask you :)

TDR
03-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Hey guys. Did not want to make a new thread so i'll just ask here.

I bought used Autometer Cobalt Tachometer. It got calibration loops for 8 - 6 - 4 cylinder engines. It was installed on some 6cylinder Nissan Skyline from 90's before. So after wiring it according to manual it started mooving. But... like completely wrong. Was not even climbing up to 4k rpm when engine was almost hitting the redzone.

We played around with calibration loops (there are two pairs of wires at the backside of tach which need to be connected according to the manual) and we tried every possible combination but tach was showing bullshit instead of real rpms. Funny thing is accidently i took two wires that were supposed to be a loop for 6cylinder engine in my hands and it actually started showing correct rpms. So it's like was sending signal through my body. Even though it was showing pretty correct rpms the pointer moving was really ugly and twitchy. When we just connected those two wires together the tach started to show bullshit again. I have no idea what does that mean.

The guy who helped me assumed that this tach is for older cars which, as he said, give "dotted" signal and modern cars are like giving "chart" signal.

I don't know what to think, Maybe it's just a broken tach? Or maybe it really is made for old cars?

jesus43block
03-07-2015, 11:59 PM
de donde sacastes la seņal del rpm ? la puse en el cable azul y no me llega completa

SirDigby
09-21-2015, 12:15 AM
hello. so if anyone read through all this and still has questions, i'm going to post what I did, and tomorrow I will post pictures of my install:
first, I tapped into obdII plug, light green or brown wire, for tach signal, ground is at kick panel. those are great places. for my power I ran it to the 7.5A by itself by the 15A fuse in previous post pics. and for illumination I ran it to the "accessory lighting" fuse, another 7.5A fuse, in second position. it should be noted, and it was never mentioned, that if you go the fuse plug route, you should remove the fuse and test which side of the circuit is hot when energized. wire goes on the "ground" side of the fuse plug so the circuit is protected from added load. hot side can cause wire overload/fire condition. on my testing the side of the fuse closest to the driver's seat was the hot side, but I urge you to use a volt meter/test light for testing circuit.
also when running ILLUM. wire to lighting circuit fuse it is not in the dimmer circuit but it is the "parking lights" circuit and remains constant, but not too bright to strain the eye.(imo) I like how if you crank the dimmer all the way down/off, the tach is the only lights!

SirDigby
09-21-2015, 09:22 PM
http://yarisworld.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1168&pictureid=6076
http://yarisworld.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1168&pictureid=6075
http://yarisworld.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1168&pictureid=6074
http://yarisworld.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1168&pictureid=6077

SirDigby
09-21-2015, 09:24 PM
I made my own gauge pod using "Testors" contour putty and lots of sandpaper.

ojgang
10-21-2015, 03:29 AM
Hello.
i just order a digital tachometer. Has anyone used this one?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvthu2whcdg48jp/tacho%20meter.jpg?dl=0

im waiting for it to deliver soon.

ojgang
11-03-2015, 02:01 AM
i recieved my digital tachometer. i have connected it but its alway on even if the switch is off.
can anyone tell me where to connect the power wire ?

CTScott
11-03-2015, 05:52 AM
i recieved my digital tachometer. i have connected it but its alway on even if the switch is off.
can anyone tell me where to connect the power wire ?

The pink wire on the ignition switch connector is switched power.

ojgang
11-09-2015, 12:52 AM
oh thnx.. i will try it today

SirDigby
11-10-2015, 12:13 AM
I wired mine into the cig. lighter fuse.

Eagle
01-22-2016, 02:52 AM
Thanks man. I got mine in today and if it wasn't for you I wouldn't know where to connect the tach wire.

Eagle
01-22-2016, 03:02 AM
To the original post of course.

greenskull
03-04-2016, 08:13 PM
I want to install a tachometer in to 2000 vitz, can any one advice on one to buy.

littlecars
04-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Hi, fairly new member, long time Car Guy. 2007 Yaris MT Hatchback. I need a tach!!! Factory fuel saving idle = 450 rpm. Toyota quality = really quiet idle. Cannot hear engine at all with radio on. So, low factory idle combined with unhearable engine = overrevving to start out, or you kill it when the light turns green. This is the first car that I've truly needed a tach for.

littlecars
04-17-2019, 05:24 PM
Thanks, Yaris friends. I am looking at aftermarket tachs - the '07, MT Hatch is so quiet that I occasionally kill it, or over-rev at a light, and I've driven stick for decades... I just didn't know where to get that RPM signal from. Now I do. Thanks!

laobo
04-29-2019, 09:58 AM
Any body for me link to buy Tach device, my yaris 2011

littlecars
02-10-2021, 05:12 PM
Thanks all! I drive an '07 stickshift hatch back Yaris. Problems: 1.The engine idles so quietly and smoothly that I cannot hear it, especially with the radio on. 2. Toyota electronically idles the car at around 450 RPM to save gas...
These problems cause me to occasionally over-rev when starting out in first gear, or kill the engine! I've driven stick for 50 years, have several stick shift vehicles, but when you have no tach, a silent engine and a very low factory set idle, an aftermarket tach is a requirment!!