PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see this garbage on BusinessWeek?

fnkngrv
07-03-2006, 12:35 PM
This is a sad little man that doesn't deserve the right to be paid to review:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/jun2006/bw20060613_092155.htm?chan=globalbiz_asia_companie s

BLKYRSSDN
07-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah I saw this a couple weeks ago, I especially like the line about the compartments for coins and such...Maybe the idiot should've thought, hey those have a round shape on the inside, maybe they are the cup holders. Yeah, I read it, and immediately discredited it.

fnkngrv
07-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah I posted a 1000 character reply and I am waiting to see if they post it.

weeze-dog
07-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah I like the quote:

As one post on a message board for Scion owners put it: The Yaris "looks like a VW Bug and a [Scion] xA had a kid."

Yeah maybe if you were reviewing THE LIFTBACK model, you dolt. How the hell do you get that analogy with the sedan, it looks absolutely nothing like the bug or xA. Apparantly it was adopted.

mikeukrainetz
07-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Even if you look at a brochure it says those are cupholders...
Rather a biased opinion considering he only drove the sedan for 180 miles.
Of course the more money your willing to spend the more car your going to get... you can keep saying 'for only 2g more I could get this...' until your up to a 60k Jag or something...

fnkngrv
07-03-2006, 01:16 PM
I got a really big kick as well on him saying that the corolla is a bigger car...apparently he doesn't pay attention to cabin space either...it is obvious that the sedan has more room than a corolla and in all honesty the Yaris looks a hell of a lot more stylist than the corolla....as far as I am concerned you get more bang for your buck with this car...I have owned 2 corollas and they don't have that "fun factor" that this one does....you don't need another 10-20 hp to have fun with the weight ratio the corolla has...definately a few fries short of a happy meal.

sroberts
07-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I agree with you guys. The reviewer did a very poor job of analyzing the Yaris. He compared apples to oranges in most cases. If I could afford a 20k car I probably would have bought a corolla, duh!

fnkngrv
07-03-2006, 01:28 PM
But why?
It just isn't that appealing...If I had the 20k then I would already have decked out my Yaris as best as possible.

But that is just an IMO.

suzu
07-03-2006, 03:21 PM
I think certain points that the BW reviewer says are right. But he, like many others, missed the whole point of Toyota introducing Yaris and they still do. This is what I posted.

Again, most of you got it wrong. With Yaris, Toyota's aim was to bring an inexpensive, not cheap like others, and reliable commuter car to the US market. A car is not just to be judged/rated based on the superficial cup holders or the dashboard but should be on the quality of the engine, transmission, ride quality, safety and reliability. I think Toyota passes with flying colors in all these except for not providing with the side airbags and ABS as standard on the base model that I hope Toyota would on future year base model.

bigsky2
07-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Come on you guys...

How can you read a review from BUSINESS WEEK about an automobile without a constant smirk on your face?

The author probably owns several stock of North American auto manufacturers, and clearly has it for TOYOTA :tongue:

I don't trust auto reviews from financial advisors and the like, so this article doesn't really bother me at all :wink:

boxerboy
07-03-2006, 07:20 PM
I am always amazed what people will say in car reviews as well as on car forms.:iono: He did say it is a safe little car that rides and drives fairly well and will probably run forever. With the gas mileage, what else is there left to say? You could whine about cupholders, coin holders, lack of rubber burning power or what ever it doesn't do compared to other more pricey cars. You bought the car or will buy this car to save money. I belive it will do that and I think it is easy and fun to drive. That is what I think you will get. Toyota is right on the money.:thumbsup:

swng
07-03-2006, 07:30 PM
I am always amazed what people will say in car reviews as well as on car forms.:iono: He did say it is a safe little car that rides and drives fairly well and will probably run forever. With the gas mileage, what else is there left to say? You could whine about cupholders, coin holders, lack of rubber burning power or what ever it doesn't do compared to other more pricey cars. You bought the car or will buy this car to save money. I belive it will do that and I think it is easy and fun to drive. That is what I think you will get. Toyota is right on the money.:thumbsup:

Well said, boxerboy :clap: :thumbup:!

fearturtle44
07-03-2006, 08:42 PM
This guy is a joke. I think many reviewers and not kicking at Toyota cars because they are on top. Real MPG from everyone is running around 38-42 mpgs which is better than the Corolla, etc. To complain about minimal stuff means the car must be pretty good. He can have his Kia and Hyundai and I will gladly keep my Yaris.

Kevin

foveon
07-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Lets consider this from his end. He writes reviews for business week. Obviously a cheap, reliable care with good MPG are probably the 3 things at the bottom of his list. $$$ isn't the factor for him that it is for a yaris buyer. I bought one today, but will likely resell it. Mine's an automatic sedan...certianly not for the performance minded and my initial impression is i would rate it a lot closer to my 98 elantra wagon than my 05 Matrix. The automatic is sluggish at best (which is what I assume we drove) and yes the useable interior space is obviously smaller than the corolla. The front seat is ample on either but backseat (of the sedan)on the yaris couldn't fit 2 adults as comfortably as my matrix could fit 3 (I tried it, all 3 people agreed). It's a great car for the purpose it serves, but although I dont agree with a good bit of what he said I certianly understand where he's coming from.

slvryaris
07-04-2006, 12:15 AM
This is a sad little man that doesn't deserve the right to be paid to review:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/jun2006/bw20060613_092155.htm?chan=globalbiz_asia_companie s

He sounds like a peter head anyway...:iono:

Dawn Eshelman
07-04-2006, 05:06 AM
I only wish I was seeing 38-42 mpg. I've had my car almost 2 months, and have only seen 32 mpg. I drive a mixture of city and highway, but do go from sea level to 1,500 ft. at the end of each day...

BTW...my auto liftback struggles up the hill. First auto I've had for 20 years or more. It's nice not having to shift, but really a dog compared to my other 4 cylinder sticks. We have some stiff trade winds too, and it's the first car I've owned that really gets buffeted and knocked around by the wind.

I still love it though!:thumbup:

TRD_Yaris
07-04-2006, 06:04 AM
I agree with you guys. The reviewer did a very poor job of analyzing the Yaris. He compared apples to oranges in most cases. If I could afford a 20k car I probably would have bought a corolla, duh!

umm..the civic and Corolla are both about $15K (15,110 for Civic DX coupe and about the same for Corolla). The yaris liftback CAN't BE HAD for less than $12,200 with the standard option Convenience Package..if you get powerpackage or any options you're in over 13K BEFORE TTL...as opposed to just 15,110 for civic coupe?! plus the civic coupe and corolla get 40 mpg (according to EPA) and 30 mpg city..only 4 mpg in a BIGGER car. I don't understand how my 1992 civic hatchback with upgraded 1.6L DOHC motor / short gearing could get the same gas mileage as this 2007 YARis which is about the same weight (2200 lbs) and WAY LESS Powerful (106 crank hp opposed to my civic/B16 w/ 172 crank hp). My civic ran 13.1-13.4 seconds in the quarter mile...
bottomline is that the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris were marketed STRICTLY to get people into the dealership, where they are quickly "upsold" to the Civic / Corolla.
bottomline, the Yaris ISN'T THAT cheap when compared to other economy cars, nor is it much more gas efficient. :thumbdown:

eight_heads
07-04-2006, 03:41 PM
The yaris liftback CAN't BE HAD for less than $12,200 with the standard option Convenience Package..
i got my 5spd liftback w/convenience pkg for $12k even... $13,200 after tt&l :iono:

TRD_Yaris
07-05-2006, 01:00 AM
i got my 5spd liftback w/convenience pkg for $12k even... $13,200 after tt&l :iono:
yeah, and my brother got his 2006 Civic Coupe DX with Air Conditioning for $14,300, but we're not talking about the FEW enlightened car buyers here, we're talking about the people who pay "20K for a Corolla". Hell, most of you spent more than $15-16K for your Yaris Sedans..some of you spent that much on the liftbacks..
Bottomline, you can spend about $2000 more and get a MUCH NICER car..and this comes from somone who drives his yaris everyday and loves it. But, i still can't deny that the Civic was a better deal for 99% of people.

Have any of you driven a Smart car? how about an Ariel w/ MidEngine/RWD Integra motor? These cars aren't anything special, and to justify spending MSRP was a LONG stretch for me.

Btw, i didn't pay MSRP either, i got mine with convenience package for $11,585..basically free convenience package since i told them "not only will i NOT pay for the package, but I would PAY to NOT HAVE IT INSTALLED!!"..they got the point. Most of you don't know how to bargain with scumbag salespeople. I used every tactic I know to destroy them and their fragile egos..:evil:

fnkngrv
07-05-2006, 09:15 AM
To this day I still cannot see how people care for the Civic....I will take a Toyota EVERY day of the week over a Civic....it is funny how much the Civic is being talked about in a Yaris forum...makes you have to wonder. I believe that the Civic is the buzz word like the VDub Beetle back in the day...I think that it is tragic, but to each their own...not to mention that a lot of people that I have seen make some complaints about their Yaris owns the 2 or 4 door hatch...you made your choice to buy a hatch and of course even though I find a Civic to be blah they have had the corner on the hatch market because that is what they really pushed for a good amount of years...really the only competition there would be to it would be the Focus and that is one of the few cars that Ford has gotten right in years. As for the Corolla I have not been impressed with it since the late 80s...and that is the reason why I have been driving my 96 Tercel since I bought it new 10 years ago is to wait for something that I felt fit me better than a Corolla and now it is here and I bought it. You all might see Corollas as cheap as well as Civics as you are saying where you live, but in my neck of the woods the 20k is right....they are both between 18-22 depending on trim and packages....they rape you around here for a foreign car. Bottom line like I posted earlier is I would put the extra cash into my Yaris or after further thouht I would upgrade to a Camry.

fearturtle44
07-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey, I love my Toyotas but it is hard to knock the Honda brand. The Civic is just like the Corolla/Yaris in that they are cheap and will go forever (hopefully).

Kevin

foveon
07-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Btw, i didn't pay MSRP either, i got mine with convenience package for $11,585..basically free convenience package since i told them "not only will i NOT pay for the package, but I would PAY to NOT HAVE IT INSTALLED!!"..they got the point. Most of you don't know how to bargain with scumbag salespeople. I used every tactic I know to destroy them and their fragile egos..:evil:

Sounds like you're not too far off :)

TRD_Yaris
07-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Sounds like you're not too far off :)
hahah, yeah..not like i saved much :laugh: but i had to justify it somehow. Plus, i see so many people on here spending WAY over MSRP..just make a trip to texas or have them deliver it to ya and save a few $Grand$..

as far as Civics go, I don't have any bias since I drive both. Toyota engines (VVTi) are EXTREMELY hard to tune (Air/Fuel) and as a result their 4 cylinder TunerMarket has been limited since the death of the 3SGTE , etc.
Honda has many engine platforms that allowed almost endless swaps between chassis / engines..but this has nothing to do with the Toyota Yaris and the "non-Tuner" crowd. Most of us who bought this car decided long ago that Cost and Efficiency were more important than "Identifying with your Car" or decadence (unneeded stuff, like bachelors who drive HUGE sedans <raises hand>

I'm not trying to sell Civics, nor do I wanna get rid of my Yaris, but I can accept that this car is not for most people. I'm not really fond of the Corolla, either, but they are GREAT cars and get GREAT gas mileage for their overall weight and size (4 door sedan, 2700+ lbs??). And being Toyota just assures reliability in most cases.

Get use to hearing people compare this car to a Civic. heck, that should be taken as a huge compliment, the civic is a VERY refined car for WAY cheap.
My 1992 Civic hatchback ran low 13's in the 1/4 mile , had AMAZING braking and handling, got 34 mpg city, and only cost me $3000 to fully assemble (plus was cheap as heck to fully insure)....but most people don't have access to a full garage nor have the patience/dedication to fully build a car. That would be tough with a Toyota (ooh..except the MR2 Spyder, AKA MR-S in japan with 2ZZGTE/6 speed!!!).
Until they stop "watering down" the japanese cars that we get here in the US we will be stuck with just a few competent cars..and the civic will usually be on top of that list.

rstb88
07-12-2006, 05:43 PM
i've seen the interior of a sedan once(i had to peer through the window before the owner came) i understand that there is no change holder above the steering wheel like the hatch but didn't the cupholders have cup designs on them to demonstrate what they are for.

weeze-dog
07-12-2006, 08:27 PM
They really should call that magazine BusinessWEAK......

fnkngrv
07-13-2006, 03:31 PM
i've seen the interior of a sedan once(i had to peer through the window before the owner came) i understand that there is no change holder above the steering wheel like the hatch but didn't the cupholders have cup designs on them to demonstrate what they are for.

Nope....they just say "open" with an indentation for your finger.

captainzerocool
08-07-2006, 11:39 PM
This is almost as bad as the Cnet review.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2007_Toyota_Yaris/4505-10867_7-31861400.html

dbaxter
08-11-2006, 09:24 AM
I really don't like reviewers anyway, just like movie critics they are to removed from the actual people that will buy the car or go see a movie thier opinions are not worth reading.
I got my little liftback for gas milage first, and mod'abillity second. I have a nice long drive in the morning across north Atlanta so high MPG was my first concern. So far its getting 33mpg city so I am happy. I am sure once I put in the CIA and lighten it up some it will be even better.

Like other replies I wanted something I could get cheap and modify the death out of it and still have a total cost less then other cars with lower MPG. I could have afforded much more, but really didn't see anything out there for this price range and mpg, and most important reliability. I had a tercel I just beat the hell out of and after 186,000 miles with no tune ups and NEVER changed the oil it died, just added oil when the light came on :D So I figure if I actually take car of this one 300+ is not an issue.

swng
08-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Another review to enjoy/stomach: http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/Reviews/Gerry_Malloy/article.aspx?cp-documentid=635582[/
:tongue:
I think my Yaris meets my requirements. More features would be nice but the price would understandably be higher and reliability could decline. I have no further comments whatsoever:frown:.

Jem_hadar
08-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Esp for us Canadians, www.canadiandriver.com is the fucking BEST site to check out!

Absolutely love it... and since its Canadian, it's always OUR models it reviews, and prices in cdn $$$!

Its so nice to see a well fucking done, informative Canadian site for a change, esp on this matter, for cars!

Plus, besides the in depth reviews, they always have lots and lots of pictures, all which can be enlarged to a good large size, another thing i love. Because if you havent test driven the vehicle yet, this is a truly EXCELLENT way to a sense for how it looks, if you think you'll enjoy its interior or exterior styling/appearance.

And they have many photos, of most all aspects of the car, which is so nice.

First Drive - 2006 Toyota Yaris http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/06yaris.htm

Test Drive - 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/07yarissedan.htm

Winter Test - Toyota Yaris: Tractionasaurus? http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mc/06yaris.htm

Test Drive - 2006 Toyota Yaris CE 2-door http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/06yaris2.htm

First Drive - 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan - http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/07yaris_sdn.htm

^^ Check them out. Excellent, informative reviews and pictures! I really recommend this site guys!

Jem