Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Yakker

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma
Considering the Yaris

Been looking at this car for a year now, finally considering jumping in. Looking at an 07 LB, auto, power windows/locks, 14,400 miles. One owner. It is with a dealer listing it at $10,875 but we have currently agreed to $10,200.

Couple of questions if anyone is willing to provide advice:
-I am buying it for a daily commuter. Drive 50 miles round trip per day, all interstate at 75mph. Have read the road noise can be bad at highway speeds. Is the road noise significant?

-I drink coffee every morning on the drive. Is the cupholder in the dash as akward as it seems?

-Am I paying too much at this price?

Appreciate any input. Am pretty excited about this little car, will be keeping my truck also though!
Yakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakker View Post
-I am buying it for a daily commuter. Drive 50 miles round trip per day, all interstate at 75mph. Have read the road noise can be bad at highway speeds. Is the road noise significant?
It depends on the kind of cars you're used to. The road noise is significant if you compare it to a Mercedes or a BWM. Otherwise it will only be slightly louder than what you're used to.

Quote:
-I drink coffee every morning on the drive. Is the cupholder in the dash as akward as it seems?
The cup holders are brilliant! You'll fall in love with them quickly.

Quote:

Appreciate any input. Am pretty excited about this little car, will be keeping my truck also though!
14,400 isn't a whole bunch of miles, so the price isn't bad. The fact that you got the power setup justifies the price. You should know though that a manual LB without power will run you around 9,400, possibly less.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Been looking at this car for a year now, finally considering jumping in. Looking at an 07 LB, auto, power windows/locks, 14,400 miles. One owner. It is with a dealer listing it at $10,875 but we have currently agreed to $10,200.

hello and welcome to the forum !

The road noise doesn't bother me, but you should definitely test drive it yourself to see if it's something you can live with. The car I drove before was noiser so the Yaris seems quiet to me by comparison.

IMO the cup holder is the kind of stuff you get used to really quickly. At first I thought it was weird having my coffee sitting up so high, but now I like it just fine where it is and haven't yet spilt anything, knock on wood, so it's become a non-issue.

Can't comment much about the price b/c it depends largely on supply and demand in your area. The car is basically new (very low miles) so that's a good thing. I got mine used, too, but with more miles and have no complaint.

Keep in mind that this is a "Yaris enthusiasts" board, though, so you're bound to get a lot of positive feedback on the Yaris but it is my opinion that you can't go wrong with a gently used Toyota
Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I haven't really been distracted by road noise at highway speeds, and I've done some significant drives in mine (Massachussetts to Florida). Especially since you are coming from a Tacoma. I drove one of those a few times, with a slushbox. Wow, I couldn't do it too much more.

Do you have the radio on during your commute? If so the road noise won't be noticeable.

You should check kbb.com, edmunds.com, & nada.com, to see what they say about that price for your location. Check all 3, because they can vary quite a bit.

I like the cupholders, except they are too small for some of the largest of sodas, well ok, the ones normal peoples would never get, like the 64 ounce insanity at 7-11.

Definately take it for a test drive on the highway though. And find out why an 07 has such few miles.

The Yaris isn't the usual econobox. It likes cruising at 80 mph or more. quite amazing, really.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Get decent tires and that will cut down on road noise.... the amount of noise also depends on your city's ability to keep the roads nice... my city does a crap job.... the surface is terrible thus lots of noise.... but then the city next to mine does a wonderful job and its like a dream driving on their silky smooth new roads, LOL<3

The cup holders are awesome, they keep your drinks cold when the AC is on and warm when the Heater is on..... becomes problematic when you have a hot drink in hot weather or cold drink in cold weather. But who really drinks a hot coffee in boiling weather and a nice icy smoothie in the middle of winter? Not THAT often to worry about it.

I paid 11,000, one year ago for my Power Package AUTO LB with 35,000k miles..... so Yes, you are getting a great deal, IMO.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I found the road noise somewhat bad when I first got the Yaris, but I was coming down from a Toyota Camry LE into an entry level car. After few months of driving the road noise was less noticeable and got use to it.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Get a better sound system for the road noise. Has for a daily commuter I find it perfect. In the long run it is probably the cheapest way you will get back and forth to work. The price seems ok to me.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Yakker

Drives: 04 Toyota Tacoma
Thanks for the input all! I did test drive it and loved it, but not on the interstate. Good point about the Tacoma though, it's not like that is a very quiet vehicle. I think I'll go give it one more test drive on the interstate and assuming no major issues, I think I'll be getting it.
Yakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
advocate

Drives: car
Great to hear Yakker!!

Should you choose to pick one up and the road noise is something you'd like to work on, there is great news!!

You can insulate the Yaris very easily and for not a large amount of money. The matting isn't too expensive and the Yaris' interior is easy to take apart (even for beginners!).

Here's to hoping you make the right choice
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Get a better sound system for the road noise. Has for a daily commuter I find it perfect. In the long run it is probably the cheapest way you will get back and forth to work. The price seems ok to me.
I agree. I don't mind the road noise, but I don't much care for the factory radio's performance on the highway. It's an easy and inexpensive fix, though.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
i love the cup holders! they are at eye level so you wont have to look down to get your drink...which is how my mom got rear ended bcuz a lady was looking down to get her coke and the light had turned red, whoops. lol. i drive highway to and from work everyday and i dont have any problems whatsoever and the noise doesnt sound any different to me than any other car ive been in. you will love this car.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
It's a great lil car I have the manual 2-dr 07 1.5 ltr hatch.

Yeah the road noise is noticeable.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote