Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
TheJames
Banned

Drives: 2006 Hummer H3
Looking to get a YARIS!

Hey guys. I'm getting married in a few months so the hummer has to go. Time to be economical I'm looking at these cars and for some reason i really like them. I've always liked "cult cars'' like jeeps, mini coopers, and of course... the yaris. I love the sense of community and not just having another generic car. Anyways I race bikes so I'm a bit of a speed/performance junkie. 90hp sounded about as cool as cancer at first, but looking at the bolt ons and suspension components available, low weight, and extremely good mileage, it looks like a yaris could be the perfect blend of room, trackability, and efficiency. I've got to have 4 doors and I like the liftback more than the sedan... i think I'm wondering if any of the models here come with rear disc brakes, and what all the interior options are. I've seen the current models on toyota's website and i guess they havent changed much but I could be wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as the maximum performance model of a 4d (5d i guess?) liftback? Thanks! Hope to be buying some trick parts soon

Edit: Also, is the 5d liftback available in manual?
TheJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Can't answer your questions -not much of a gear head - but I'm a bit shocked at the transition: from a Hummer to a Yaris, are you sure?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The 5 door is automatic only in the U.S. for 2009. Dunno about the 2010 models.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
TheJames
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Can't answer your questions -not much of a gear head - but I'm a bit shocked at the transition: from a Hummer to a Yaris, are you sure?
no i'm not sure. but i do like them. they fit into my economical, fun, and sometimes sporty category but i'm looking at a few different cars right now.

hilton thanks for the info
Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

what are you looking at? Just curious.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
TheJames
Banned

the yaris, civic, mini cooper, mazda 3 series, nissan sentra, vw tdi's, etc. i was looking at toyota tacomas, ford rangers, and larger sedans, if i could find a killer deal, but i decided that the huge gap of FE wasn't worth the extra room. whatever i get will have a trailer hitch, and i have a small open trailer if i ever need to really move some stuff.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

I looked at a few of those, and eventually narrowed it down to 4 or 5, with the Yaris and the Fit ahead. Yaris was more suitable to my immediate needs, plus it was cheaper, so I got it. If you have a family, you might want to also look at the Toyota Matrix as well. It has a bigger engine, is huge inside, a bit more car than the Yaris I think (a couple of my neighbors bought the Matrix and totally love it).

Don't know if you'll find a lot of help in this forum because the vast mnajority here have already been through the selection process and pretty much think the Yaris is the best car for their needs.

Take your time, go on test drives, and see what feels good, would be my advice. There is a LOT of cars out there. If you get a Yaris and need more Yaris-specific advice, we'll be here.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

I forgot something. If you're still in the comparison stage, you might want to check this link. Lots of info on a subcompact cars there.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/
Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
TheJames
Banned

awesome man. thanks for the help! definitely in the comparison stage. i haven't found anything to rule out any of the subcompact, except i cant stand the look of the fit unfortunately. it's probably going to boil down to finding the best bargain. i'm going used for sure. i really appreciate the info. that supcompact website looks like it'll be a ton of help and alot easier than registering for 8 different forums :D
Old 09-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
i might be a little biased, but YARIS > ANY CAR. Ok just joking, but yah, happy hunting. Hopefully you come back with a yaris.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
TheJames
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
i might be a little biased, but YARIS > ANY CAR. Ok just joking, but yah, happy hunting. Hopefully you come back with a yaris.
haha i hear you. i'll keep all of you posted for sure!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJames View Post
awesome man. thanks for the help! definitely in the comparison stage. i haven't found anything to rule out any of the subcompact, except i cant stand the look of the fit unfortunately. it's probably going to boil down to finding the best bargain. i'm going used for sure. i really appreciate the info. that supcompact website looks like it'll be a ton of help and alot easier than registering for 8 different forums :D
I know what you mean about the FIT.

Well, the best bargain is the Yaris, IMO. I come from Honda, so I'm not saying that lightly.

There are cheaper domestic cars, but they're not historically as reliable as any Toyota or Honda. As to the Mazda, Mini=Cooper, etc., they're more expensive to run. My opinion, of course.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
TheJames
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I know what you mean about the FIT.

Well, the best bargain is the Yaris, IMO. I come from Honda, so I'm not saying that lightly.

There are cheaper domestic cars, but they're not historically as reliable as any Toyota or Honda. As to the Mazda, Mini=Cooper, etc., they're more expensive to run. My opinion, of course.

Good luck with your decision.
i agree completely. despite wanting to help the US companies out, i just can't sacrifice reliability, and knowing that the manufacture could go out of business or be taken over by the gov't and lose any quality care that they had doesn't sway me in the domestic direction. i also agree about maintaining a mazda or mini bmw, but i like working on my own stuff and not that big of a fan of dealer/warrenty work
Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

I'm not selling Yarii or anything ;) but as far as I can tell there is tons of DYI stuff here and pretty good support / camaraderie when members try to do stuff and run into difficulty doing it. Check out the DIY threads and other areas of the forum, you'll get a better idea.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJames View Post
...Anyways I race bikes ...

What are you racing?
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote