Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Dangerous Driving and Road Rage

This afternoon as I waited at a red light, a minivan was in the marked right-hand turn lane while I was in the straight through/left turn lane. The light changed and we both started moving - straight through the intersection. The guy almost hit me and I slammed on the brakes to make it through behind him. I honked and gave him the appropriate salute, and he meandered over to the side of the road (without signaling). I didn't know what he was doing, so I drove around him.

He pulled back out and tailgated me for the next 5 blocks to my house. I didn't realize he was following me until he pulled into the laneway behind me and blocked my car as I tried to back out and straighten into my spot.

He then berated me for giving him the finger, saying "I pulled over to let you go. What's your problem" to which I replied "You almost hit me in the intersection. You didn't use the marked lane properly, and you didn't signal. You're the one breaking laws". He followed up with a long string of curses detailing what I should do with my finger in the future (won't repeat incase anyone's kids read over their shoulders) and took off as I was asking him why he followed me and if he lived off the laneway.

I'd write this off as just another moron Toronto driver but I feel violated that he followed me and knows where I live. I don't think he'll come back because I didn't really escalate it any further than he did, but I also didn't get a photo of his vehicle/licence plate. I know the colour, make, and model, but that's it. I'm also not satisfied in letting idiots get away with being idiots, because they'll just be idiots again.

Anyone else have any stories of road ragers and dangerous drivers? Where do you draw the line and call the police? Do the police actually care?

Weather's warming up. 'Tis the season. Try to keep a cool head in the car.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
QR25DE_SpecV

Drives: 2006 Sentra SpecV
I like to adopt the hit now, ask later approach. Far less bothersome. I have tones of road rage experiences. I'll give two stories.

I was teaching my best friend (no longer) how to drive a manual transmission. She was getting fairly decent at it, so I decided to let her drive.

We were only headed a couple miles down the road, and it was fairly late at night. I figured there wouldn't be much traffic, so why not?

Things are going well, then about half a mile from our destination she inevitably stalls at a light. The gentleman behind us obviously wasn't too happy, and begins yelling and honking. He pulls up to our passenger side and starts cussing her out in spanish. She's like wtf? I'm thinking, okay you're a complete dumbass, fuck off. Give him the one finger salute, and that pretty much did it.

He starts throwing shit at my car (dented it in two places), and now my driver is freaking the hell out. I didn't notice this asshole was still following us.

She pulls off the road, and then the guy follows us and blocks us in. We're both already out by the time we see him coming, and then he charges at me with a gun in his hand. I just yell run, and we both take off running. I'm much faster than the short legged fuck so by the time he sets off I'm well ahead.

He quickly gave up, and then starts hitting my windshield. Isn't that nice? Thankfully didn't do any more damage to the rest of the car, just glass. Phew! Scratched my drivers side window a little too (how the hell do you do that?).

He takes off in his car, and I quickly dive in mine. At that point I have no idea where my lady friend is. I launched my car so hard I broke an exhaust hanger It took me all of 100 yds to get right up on this ass clown. I took his plate number, and let him run.

Within seconds of calling the cops, I was surrounded. I told the guy what happened, and he told me to follow him to where they had the guy. I get there and his car is being tossed by like 5 APD officers They found a gun, some crack, and a knife. What a fucking night.

Story 2:

One time I'm on my way home from class, and we're approaching a traffic circle. There are two lanes leading up to the traffic circle, and the traffic circle is intended to be wide enough for two vehicles to enter side by side, for those that want to turn off on the first exit.

We turn onto the street that leads to the traffic circle, and this pickup truck is literally doing 10-15mph, so I accelerate around him in the left hand lane of the two. He obviously didn't like that.

I did not slow down at the yield sign because obviously if there is nobody to yield to, you just proceed as normal, which I did. As I entered the traffic circle, the truck comes up on my right, and tries to ram me into the curb. Big mistake. My initial response is a blurr, so I won't speculate.

Right after the traffic circle is the parking garage for my apartment complex, which the pickup truck just happens to turn into. Isn't that nice! I follow him to his parking space, park behind him, slip my taser in my back pocket, and approach his drivers side.

From what I remember, the conversation went a little something like this:

Me: Are you completely retarded? You almost rammed me into me.
Him: You blew through a yield sign!
Me: Well dumbass, do you know what yield means? It means GIVE WAY! No other traffic to yield to, NO YIELD! Learn the fucking Texas highway code.

We exchange a few more words that I can't remember, and I head inside. I have a wee temper

Quote:
It's not what you drive, but what drives you

Last edited by PK198105; 03-19-2010 at 12:50 AM. Reason: language
QR25DE_SpecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
silver_vios
Banned

Drives: yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
1st off if you were that close to be in a scrap inside the circle shows you DIDN'T YIELD to traffic. People in the circle always have priority and you're suppose to slow down when approaching a circle, just for the simple reason of having more time to prepare for any unexpected traffic.
Can't tell if you have poor reading comprehension or you are flaming... The person that *tried to hit him* wasn't in the circle.

And using a taser for protection from crazy people is completely appropriate
silver_vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by QR25DE_SpecV View Post
I like to adopt the hit now, ask later approach. Far less bothersome. I have tones of road rage experiences. I'll give two stories.
Whoa, that's two scary stories you got there my friend. And I noticed you're from Austin, so please, you gotta give me your viewpoint on my poll Here it is:
http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26487
Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_vios View Post
Can't tell if you have poor reading comprehension or you are flaming... The person that *tried to hit him* wasn't in the circle.

Flaming.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
QR25DE_SpecV

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_vios View Post

Wow, I read this after I posted my response. I don't think I could have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
1st off if you were that close to be in a scrap inside the circle shows you DIDN'T YIELD to traffic. People in the circle always have priority and you're suppose to slow down when approaching a circle, just for the simple reason of having more time to prepare for any unexpected traffic.

2nd of all not sure that you almost tazing someone is appropriate
I had passed him probably 100 yards ago, he was nowhere near me, and I entered the traffic circle ALONE doing an appropriate speed. He came on the right (which you're supposed to yield to the inside lane) and cut me off.

I didn't 'almost' tase anyone. I had it in my back pocket in case I needed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Whoa, that's two scary stories you got there my friend. And I noticed you're from Austin, so please, you gotta give me your viewpoint on my poll Here it is:
http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26487
Get the hell out of that state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105
Dear QR25DE_SpecV,

You have received a warning at Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site.

Reason:
-------
Inappropriate Language

Watch your language please as per forum rules
Anyone provide a link to said forum rules?

Quote:

Last edited by QR25DE_SpecV; 03-19-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Funny what kind of trouble a little old finger can get you into.

Although I am partial to having dealt the bird, I normally ignore retard behavior from other drivers, whether it's bad driving, honking, or fingers.

They're not worth getting worked up over, and besides it's way funnier watching them get even more frustrated like when you drive real slow on purpose when they're behind you to force them to go around and then laugh at them as they pass you by. I do this A LOT since I hypermile.
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Angry

I had one happen to me about a year ago.... pulled up to gas station and some guy jumped out in front of my truck like an idiot without looking. He yelled profanities at me and I just waived (not one finger but all of em) and said "sorry bro". Which I was actually was and it didn't sound sarcastic. So I filled up my truck and go back in for some smokes.... Guy is comming out and slammed the door after him (dick move sir). Comming back out I see him near my truck. He looked like he was about to do something to my tires so I went around the back and his back was turned to me but I could see him pulling out a knife. I walked up slow grabbed the door handle and yelled "WTF are you doing asshole?" He turned around to a door to the face. He stumbled up and I told him to back off and lets all just go home (opened center console out of eyesight to him). Yells profanities once again. Comes towards truck with knife out...... *worst possible idea*

*tat tat*..... Man on back with two shoulder shots. Looked over to gas attendant and he gives me the thumbs up and has phone. Man gets up and goes towards his car (which by the way was running the WHOLE time), told him to stop and wait for the cops. More profanities and he popped in his car and *tat tat* now two tires are knocked out. Man tries to pull out still while I finally hear cops in the distance about mile and a half away. Unload weapon and lay it all on the cement. Stand next to my truck with my hands on my head. Cops show up and did there job. Followed procedure to the "T" and I was not offended in the least to be momentarily handcuffed. Gas station attendant came out locked the door and told the cops what happened. I got uncuffed and was asked the usual... Is this gun registered to you? Do you have a concealed license? We went through all that and I asked if I could have the rounds that werent spent back before they impound my pistol. They ok'd it and I was given a card and told to call him next day to come down and do all the paperwork. Wen't and did that on a sunday. Then all in all it was quiet for 3 months then i got a subpoena for his case. Went in and found him guilty and now hes serving 20+.... Turns out hes a repeat. Anyway got a ticket number to go to evidence that day and picked up my gun. The guy there cleaned it and actually fixed my extractor on my 1911 and we talked about guns for an hour (shit was soooo cash). All in all wasn't too bad.
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
QR25DE_SpecV

No worries dude.

How in the hell can people abide by rules that they have no way of reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post

Although I am partial to having dealt the bird, I normally ignore retard behavior from other drivers, whether it's bad driving, honking, or fingers.

They're not worth getting worked up over, and besides it's way funnier watching them get even more frustrated like when you drive real slow on purpose when they're behind you to force them to go around and then laugh at them as they pass you by. I do this A LOT since I hypermile.
I usually have the ability to out accelerate pretty much anyone, so if I think you're trying to follow me, I'll just leave you in last week.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by QR25DE_SpecV View Post
No worries dude.

How in the hell can people abide by rules that they have no way of reading?

When you sign into the forum, it gives you a set of "standard" rules (I think it's a boilerplate, seen the same thing on other forums) most people don't bother to read them, though.

Just use common sense. No flaming, no personal attacks, no racial slurs, you know standard, common sense stuff
Old 03-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
As to road rage and bad drivers, yeah, there is a lot of that around.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Seems like a lot of angry people live in Texas. Tasers, knives, guns... oh my.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Seems like a lot of angry people live in Texas. Tasers, knives, guns... oh my.
Hmm, looks who's talking... Remember Columbine? That's in Colorado, isn't it? There are crazy people all over this world and there isn't much we can do about all of them, I just hope to never be in the wrong place at the wrong time...
Old 03-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Hmm, looks who's talking... Remember Columbine? That's in Colorado, isn't it? There are crazy people all over this world and there isn't much we can do about all of them, I just hope to never be in the wrong place at the wrong time...
Yes, Columbine happened in Colorado, but the topic is road rage and I found it amusing that aside from the OP, the two that responded with crazy incidents of road rage were from Texas.

I would post my experiences, but in the 27 years that I have been driving I haven't had one any worse than flipping the bird.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #15
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Yes, Columbine happened in Colorado, but the topic is road rage and I found it amusing that aside from the OP, the two that responded with crazy incidents of road rage were from Texas.
LOL, I know, kinda freaked me out a bit too
Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
that is why I carry a .45 ACP in my ride
Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post

That's a good philosophy to live by, and I never get too excited over idiots other than a honk and a gesture. But, like I said, I'm not content in letting idiotic behaviour slip by unnoticed. That said, I've never gotten out of my car, followed someone, yelled, or motioned to hit them. I also try not to drive like an ass, including driving around a block and taking another turn instead of making erratic lane changes if I realize I'm in the wrong spot. What bothers me about my situation is that the other guy was the one in the wrong and HE followed ME to my house to try to intimidate me. I guess there's two types of people in the world...
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #18
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
the worst experience ive had was on the way to burlington coat factory. we were in the left hand lane to get ready to turn left into the shopping center. in the mirror you see this car flying down the road(30mph is speed limit here) he was going maybe 50 approaching a red light. he is in the far right hand lane. he then cuts over into the middle lane cutting off a SCHOOL BUS of kids. so now were all stopped at the red light. us in left. him in middle. w bus now behind him. the light turns green and we get our arrow and we start into the intersection to turn left and the guy in the middle lane decides he wants to turn left too and turns left from center lane and missed our car by about two inches. my husband had to swerve car to left which almost sent us into a u turn. then he went into the shopping center and stopped at a BK and we followed him. my husband rolled down his window and the man opened his door and my husband asked him what the hell is wrong with you? you just cut off a school bus of kids and us. the guy just kept saying im so sorry im sorry sorry sorry sorry and he was shaking really bad. i think he was on something. he looked really messed up. i kept thinking once we went inside the store that i should call the cops but i didnt kno if the guy was at bk parking lot anymore so i didnt. i thought i was going to have a heartattack.