Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Those of you who have "tweaked":

With lowering springs and/or removing the back seat for increased fuel efficiency, have the results been worth it? I realize most of you do this stuff yourself, but I would be paying a shop (no can do, no handy boyfriend).

Thx!
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
anomoly40
Depot Damager

Drives: '08 Liftback
Buy a set of sockets at your local Walmart. The backseat is easy. Just make sure you have the same Torx socket in the diy. Springs require special tools and attention.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306
Bought back in '20 with 270k

Currently collecting parts for the 2zr swap
anomoly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Removing the rear seat is a 5 minute affair. I didn't do it so much for fuel efficiency but for increased braking power and acceleration, as well as to reduce rubbing in the rear (I am indeed lowered with NF210 springs). In my case it was 100% worth it.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
the only specialty tool needed for the springs is a spring compressor. you can "borrow" one from autozone, advance auto, or oreileys using the "loan-a-tool" program. an impact gun helps but is not absolutely needed.

honestly, anything that costs money to save gas usually doesn't pay for itself. there are exceptions. a good fuel economy gauge (scangauge, ultragauge, ecometer) I think is a good investment.

If I lived closer, hell I would change your springs. it was kind of fun. I learned a lot.

you may want to take some smaller steps first with fuel economy like airing up tires and working on your driving style.

it is a long read but you may pick up a tip or two from it.

http://www.gassavers.org/article.php...ps-to-save-gas
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Thanks, Beef; never thought of removing the seat before, but I always keep it down for carrying bike, kayak, or groceries and wouldn't mind a "two-seater"... I DO try to keep my 14" tires at 40 psi; otherwise, my mpg is tooooo depressing!
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
my only thing about taking out the back seat is if you ever do need to take someone along (I'm a parent so my daughter's car seat has a permanent place back there) and the looks factor. the ones I have seen without the seat look a little rough though I figure you could put something in its place like a blanket or small carpet just to cover the ugly.

you have 14" tires? mine are 15s.. wonder what the difference is? (I know, an inch)
Old 07-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Took mine out and never looked back. Gas mileage has remained steady at around 35-40 if I don't stand on it. I am lowered but with backseat removal it kinda gives it a mild raked look which I like.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I have my entire rear gutted and I love the result. It brakes better and you can feel a nice difference on hard pulls. It really is not that hard I am sure you can do it yourself. Just buy a basic socket set at your local hardware store as a shop doing this free mod is going to be $$$.

Springs are going to be harder so you may want to get professional help.

If you need help with any diy pm me i will do my best to assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Removing the rear seat is a 5 minute affair. I didn't do it so much for fuel efficiency but for increased braking power and acceleration, as well as to reduce rubbing in the rear.
exactly what i did and why

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote