Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
YW Header Skin Competition

I think that it would be good for the site if we held a skin design competition every now and then in order to keep the look fresh for people that visit YW all the time.

Something even cooler would be to have a way to choose the skin from within the control panel. The available range of skins would be from all the past contest winners.

In order to get this idea started, we need to have some guidelines in place as to what will/will not be accepted as a valid skin entry.

As far as the guidelines for creating a valid vBulletin 3.8 skin, I found the following: http://www.vbulletin-faq.com/skins-styles.htm

In regards to the YW rules of skin design, I would require a moderator (or even an admin) to write a list of rules to follow. A few to get us started (off the top of my head):
  1. No explicit content allowed. PG material only.
  2. Very limited animations only
  3. Must meet size requirements
  4. ???

Last edited by tk-421; 01-10-2009 at 06:29 PM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
YarisBueller
Administrator

Making a full fledged skin will be near impossible IMO, its a tremendous amount of work. Something more reasonable would be to make a varrying set of headers for the site.

This is how it would be done:

style.jpg

The orange box in the example above would be the main title graphic which should conform to the size of 496x112 pixels.

The cyan box would be a repeating background of any pattern or size that you want and a height of 112pixels.
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
tk-421
Super Moderator

Well, here's the thing: There are already prefabbed vBulletin skins out there that we could base our designs on. So it should be much simpler to just tweak an existing skin and add the header.

The link that I posted above has a few free themes, and there's tons more on other Interwebz.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
YarisBueller
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Well, here's the thing: There are already prefabbed vBulletin skins out there that we could base our designs on. So it should be much simpler to just tweak an existing skin and add the header.

The link that I posted above has a few free themes, and there's tons more on other Interwebz.
Yes but the themes have to work with the given site, noone is going to be able to integrate the themes with all the little modifications we have here for example the garage, the blogs, etc.. it doesn't work the way you think it does. It takes alot of work and knowledge of the sites inner workings
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
tk-421
Super Moderator

OK, I understand... On the flipside, I'm sure a lot more people will be comfortable doing just the header.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
tk-421
Super Moderator

Hey is Flash allowed for header?