Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Honda's Turn

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/consumer...commended.html

Consumer Reports decided to pick on Honda this time.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
CR says it gets 47 mpg on freeway....? I call bs.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Sounds like Honda missed their regular payola to CR this time around.

47 miles per gallon highway!? Must be a typo.

Gas Mileage: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ic-gas-mileage
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
The Civic is a joke. Honda is a joke. To completely redesign a car and manage to make it nearly identical to the 6 year old previous gen while degrading it is unacceptable. And this is suppose to go another 5 years?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I believe the 47 mpg on the highway. If you drive as slow as the people at cr do, and you only do highways speeds with no city driving, you can get 47 mpg. I am sure honda followed the trend of an extreme overdrive gear for gas mileage.

Heck, there a couple of people that can reach that mpg on a full tank in the yaris.

btw, I hate honda with a passion, so this is a good thing to me.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I believe the 47 mpg on the highway. If you drive as slow as the people at cr do, and you only do highways speeds with no city driving, you can get 47 mpg. I am sure honda followed the trend of an extreme overdrive gear for gas mileage.

Heck, there a couple of people that can reach that mpg on a full tank in the yaris.

btw, I hate honda with a passion, so this is a good thing to me.
Well, it is a misprint in this particular article. Should read 37 MPG highway (regular model ).

The hybrid is rated 44/44.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
shhhh, don't tell PK
Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I believe the 47 mpg on the highway. If you drive as slow as the people at cr do, and you only do highways speeds with no city driving, you can get 47 mpg. I am sure honda followed the trend of an extreme overdrive gear for gas mileage..
..like they prob did in this 2010 Civic commercial in Canada:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLbR0VO1-yc

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
LOL they also said some complained it downshifted too easily when descending a hill!!??
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Kal-El

Honda's response

Our Perspective... on Consumer Reports Review of the Civic LX

John Mendel
Executive Vice President of Sales
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

In life, sometimes you disagree even with those for whom you have the greatest respect. And it seems as if that is what has occurred with the Consumer Reports review of the 2012 Honda Civic LX.

We have great respect for the magazine and its editors, but we fundamentally disagree with their suggestion that Civic doesn't rank among their recommended small cars. As for Consumer Reports, well, the magazine has named Civic as the "top pick" in its segment six times over the past 15 years. So, they are definitely finding fault with someone they have shown a lot of love in the past.

Interestingly, even using Consumer Reports own results, consumers can find ample reason to purchase a new 2012 Civic. The new Civic truly excels in areas that matter to small car customers, including fuel efficiency, safety, and reliability.

- Consumer Reports own testing found that Civic's smooth and efficient powertrain returned "... an impressive 30 mpg overall on regular fuel and 47 mpg on the highway." Only one other compact car the magazine tested did better.
- In the area of safety, the magazine pointed out that Civic has earned a class-leading 'Top Safety Pick' rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Further, as noted in Consumer Reports findings, the Civic excels with a long list of important safety features that are standard on all trim levels.
- Civic has a stellar reliability history with Consumer Reports, and we have complete confidence that the new Civic will be a reliability leader as well. In fact, one of our plants building Civic (in Indiana) earned the top "platinum" award in the 2011 J.D. Power & Associates Initial Quality Study. So, Civic's quality and reliability story has a solid foundation.

It is also important to point out that Consumer Reports reviewed only one Civic model - the Civic LX Sedan. There are actually six different versions of Civic - the Civic Sedan (in DX, LX and EX trim levels), Civic Coupe, sporty Civic Si (Coupe and Sedan), Civic HF high fuel economy model, the Civic Natural gas, and the Civic Hybrid. Consumer Reports has indicated they also plan to test the Civic Hybrid. Customers can literally find a Civic model that meets a variety of needs and interests.

Finally, among many other very positive reviews of the Civic lineup, Motor Trend magazine recently tested eight compact cars, including Civic. The respected auto enthusiast magazine - which knows a thing or two about ride and handling - ranked Civic second among eight compact cars in the comparison drive. Many would be thrilled with this result. However, we disagree with Motor Trend as well - we think there is no better compact car than Civic.

Is the small sedan segment more competitive than ever? Without question. But in virtually every way, the completely redesigned 2012 Civic is a step forward that our customers will value and enjoy. So, while we will continue to have great respect for Consumer Reports, regarding their editors' review of the Civic LX - we will just have to agree to disagree… strenuously.

LOL.

At least they're listening. Doesn't seem to be doing any good though. This bad press and internet negativity has been going on for at least 4-5 years now with Honda/Acura. It only continues to get worse.