Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Toyota...We're Number....Two???

VW has passed Toyota as the Number One automaker in the World!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Not number one in quality....VW makes one of the worse cars in regard to dependability, reliability too. They sell a lot more in Europe then in the USA because American's are more picky about good cars. Even the Korean brands are better cars then the VW's.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
Not number one in quality....VW makes one of the worse cars in regard to dependability, reliability too. They sell a lot more in Europe then in the USA because American's are more picky about good cars. Even the Korean brands are better cars then the VW's.
WHAT?!?!?! americans will buy whatever crap the automaker will sell them.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
Many do, but what I think he means is that a good portion of Americans place quality/reliability at the top of their list of important attributes when buying a car hence the huge success of Toyota and Honda in America.

In Europe, the #1 quality people look for seems to be driving dynamics which is why VW does so well there even though they are constantly in need of repair.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
+1
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
That is some of the most inaccurate comments ever posted on this forum! First, Volkswagens are tied with Toyota in terms of reliability...both got an 86; and Volkswagen's increase of 5 points, or 6.2 percent, marked the biggest jump from the year before (source).

Secondly, I wonder if you have even set foot in Europe as the comment that American's are "more picky about good cars" is the biggest bullshit statement I have ever heard in my life! Dude, I was born and lived numerous times in Germany, as well as Belgium and the UK. Cars are taken much more seriously in Europe than the US, as not only are they more expensive to buy but also maintain. I go back to Europe several times a year, and never see as much pieces of junk on the road as I do in the States (and I also travel throughout the country, so this isn't specific to any particular region).

Lastly, I had two VW Passats (B4) that I put over a quarter of a million miles on without any considerable problems! Sure, they aren't as maintenance-free as some Japanese brands; but I would never buy an American car over one, nor are they unreliable or overly expensive to maintain.

Next time do a little research...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
First, Volkswagens are tied with Toyota in terms of reliability.. Sure, they aren't as maintenance-free as some Japanese brands;
Oh you tricky wordsmith you....

VWs are POSs

deal with it
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
That is some of the most inaccurate comments ever posted on this forum! First, Volkswagens are tied with Toyota in terms of reliability...both got an 86; and Volkswagen's increase of 5 points, or 6.2 percent, marked the biggest jump from the year before (source).

Secondly, I wonder if you have even set foot in Europe as the comment that American's are "more picky about good cars" is the biggest bullshit statement I have ever heard in my life! Dude, I was born and lived numerous times in Germany, as well as Belgium and the UK. Cars are taken much more seriously in Europe than the US, as not only are they more expensive to buy but also maintain. I go back to Europe several times a year, and never see as much pieces of junk on the road as I do in the States (and I also travel throughout the country, so this isn't specific to any particular region).

Lastly, I had two VW Passats (B4) that I put over a quarter of a million miles on without any considerable problems! Sure, they aren't as maintenance-free as some Japanese brands; but I would never buy an American car over one, nor are they unreliable or overly expensive to maintain.

Next time do a little research...
I have spent years working in Bulgaria, Germany, Spain, England, Italy, Holland, and France.

Europeans don't maintain their cars as well as Americans do, nor are they as picky as Americans about quality, nor do they have the choices Americans have nor do they have the buying power we have.

Americans are the absolute most picky fickle and descerning consumers in the world.

Only an idiot would by a VW because they are over priced, suck gas big time, unreliable, undependable, and the cost of ownership is huge compared to most Japanese cars.

However to be fair, VW's drive fantastically.....when they're not in the shop.

Last edited by PK198105; 11-15-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: no need for flames
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Kal-El

Hopefully the personal attacks will stop so this thread doesn't get closed.

It's an interesting debate.

There is a reason that VW's market share is less than 2% in the US. Some here seem to argue in favor of VW's supposed quality. But it is undeniable that they are nearly the worse cars in terms of quality. I work at a car dealer where I see first hand how all car brands hold up. I cannot believe the condition (not from abuse) that VW's come in. The interior hardware in particular is a joke. Really sad.

VW's have great driving dynamics. That's it. And that is what Europeans favor most hence their success.

If Europeans cared so much about maintenance, why are their oil change intervals like 15,000 miles (for example)? While Americans are meticulous about 3-5K oil changes?

Hopefully, VW is straightening things out as of the last 2 years and maybe they are. Before that though, stay clear.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

Europeans don't maintain their cars as well as Americans do, nor are they as picky as Americans about quality, nor do they have the choices Americans have nor do they have the buying power we have.

Americans are the absolute most picky fickle and descerning consumers in the world.
don't take it personally but that's a pretty poor comment (and I'm being nice)

I usually look the other way these days when I disagree with someone, especially when I believe their opinion comes from deeply seated political beliefs, but that is possibly the most inaccurate comment I've read on this board in a while.

I only wish I had some of the choices Europeans have. And to say that they're not picky consumers is just complete and makes me wonder what exactly you saw in Eruope if you actually set foot there in the first place

Last edited by tomato; 11-15-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: clarity
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
bronsin

True dat! But is Toyota following GM and Chrysler into the Abyss?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
ha

friend got a new diesel VW for the mileage

I got the Yaris

same month

already his has been to the shop 3 times for problems, fitment...new car stuff

mine...I just drive it. zero problems.

HAR
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I have a friend who has a late 90’s VW Golf and that car is in shop at least once or twice a month for repairs.

She still loves the car death even though it cleans out her savings every month.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
ha

friend got a new diesel VW for the mileage

I got the Yaris

same month

already his has been to the shop 3 times for problems, fitment...new car stuff

mine...I just drive it. zero problems.

HAR
And I can just imagine how much less you paid than he did...
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Kal-El

I was quite surprised by this news today. But it will be short lived.

There's only a couple of things that lined up just right for VW to take the volume lead from Toyota and the main one being the European and Asian (China) auto stimulus packages (like our Cash for Clunkers). Thing is, those areas prefer VW's over Toyota's and launched VW past Toyota slightly.

VW's new acquisition of Porsche helped their numbers too not to mention that VW owns many other companies as well while Toyota only has it's own 3 divisions (and only one division in many countries).

So while VW's sales in the US suck, they do very well in Europe where customers just care about that German driving feel while completely ignoring quality. China's market is growing really quick and unfortunately for Toyota, China is still holding a grudge against anything that is Japanese (from the past).

Anyway, Toyota will retake the lead next quarter and keep it.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
bronsin

Yeah people are attracted to the "character" of the VW. They say Toyota has no "soul". They have no clue which end is up. If you want to see even more extreme examples of this, look at BMW motorcycle owners. They love their bikes to death, even as the bikes bleed their wallets dry and spend weeks in the shop.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I've owned a couple Vw's and they were very nice to drive, the cost of repair was stupid high, and very often.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #18
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
maybe if toyota made interesting cars, they'd sell more.

its funny, this post was made on matrixowners.com and not one person mentioned reliability....they were just interested to see vw passed toyota....no hate

i guess its a difference in age group