Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #19
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I used my Kappas briefly with the stock HU and they sounded fine. When I upgraded my HU, I also installed an Alpine 4.100 PDX amp..

Dunno if the Kappas just don't sound good or what, but to me the stock speakers on my new Yaris sound better than the Kappas ever did. The Kappas were kind of harsh sounding. Also, I always had this hiss coming from the passenger side tweeter. Did everything I could to try and stop the hissing. I replaced the tweeter w/ a replacement from the manufacturer, etc. and the hiss never went away. I even went as far as running a 4ga. ground wire direct from the battery to the cabin and then grounded all of the electronics to that.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #20
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
the problem is not the speakers... you just need an amp stable at 2ohm.

but as far as for the hissing sound.. it could be a combination of many things.. so, i can't help.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
The PDX 4.100 is stable at 2ohms. As far as the hissing, it doesn't matter anymore since that setup stayed wit the 3-door '07 LB which I've already traded in for my 5-door '09 LB.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #22
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
I'm running:

Focal K2P 165KPS Front
Focal Polyglass 130CVX Rear

** Beware of counterfeit Focal products. Only purchase from authorized dealers.

Speaker Sizing - Hatchback
You can mount 6.5" in the front and 5.25". I have also seen 6.5" in both the front and rear with modified spacers.

If you are using high end components, you will need a spacer to raise the speaker so the window doesn't hit the speaker's magnet when you open your windows. I used 3/4" MDF for spacers - see the template in my sig or the sticky at the top.

Another potential problem.. the inside of the door panel has some contours and extruding plastic that might make contact or touch the speaker when you put the door panel back on. A dremel and some sanding will remove some of these extruding plastic so the door panel can fit on properly.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #23
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
I installed the front pair of Polk db651 speakers and they fit with the supplied thin rings with plenty of room to spare and sound awesome. I'll tackle the rear speakers later.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #24
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg570lvr View Post
I installed the front pair of Polk db651 speakers and they fit with the supplied thin rings with plenty of room to spare and sound awesome. I'll tackle the rear speakers later.
I just put the rear pair in and it was really easy with the same pair of rings and now my car sounds so much better even with the stock deck. I ordered a Sony CDX-GT630UI to replace it, just hope I made a good choice.