Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #19
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Hm. I suppose the Playstation will show you the lines alright (never having tried it), but the stability aid required most is the ass of your pants: EVERY mistake makes itself felt there! Practice, guys, practice...
:lol: learning to drive on a playstation.

if you're going to learn to drive it should be on a real simulator.

driving lines are alot harder to see when you're really out there.

the best thing to do is LOOK AHEAD!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #20
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
WAY ahead! Often I will set up my line long before I get to the corner, and concentrate on what I CAN'T see as it unravels in the corner. Practice...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #21
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
"Getting an idea" of cornering lines doesn't mean you're a pro because you've earned all the licences in Gran Turismo. Its arguably the most realistic driving video game that you can buy.

Of course, if you're talking sit-in simulators, yeah they can be more realistic but they cost a whole lot more coin too.

At this stage where the threadstarter is learning just to drive a corner properly, it only takes one kerb to wheel interface that bends the front suspension to equal the cost of a gaming console and a few weekends racing a go-kart around a track.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #22
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
Playstation 3 and Gran Turismo game.
I want!
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
:lol: learning to drive on a playstation.

if you're going to learn to drive it should be on a real simulator.

the best thing to do is LOOK AHEAD!
i learned to drive a racing line on gran turismo. i think its good for the fundamentals. when i started autox'ing when i got my first car, i think it reduced the learning curve some. then when i stepped up to track days, and it was a natural progression (all the while still playing massive amounts of GT :D )

but your right in the fact that it cant replace real life. good tires and some autox will do you alot of good. ride with people who are faster than you, talk to them, they will help! dont mess around with your car. my biggest mistake early on was having too many mods on the car. i actually got alot faster when i got rid of some of them :rofl:

good luck!
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #24
thepoche

Drives: Toyota Yaris CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russelt3hPirate View Post
For me it was the opposite. I play rFactor and played Laguna Seca a lot. When I went to the real track, I tried the line I was using in the sim and it didn't feel natural.

I improved my line in the real world much faster than in a sim and when I applied that line in the game, I was much faster.

And as PK said, sims will help you learn the track but not how to drive.

Just go to a track day and get an instructor with you, thats the best learning technique and it's cheaper than a PS3!
thepoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:56 AM   #25
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
I have to say all I've ever learned from video games is practice makes perfet... lol

Yea I know about lines and stuff but I'm talking about on a road making like a hard turn yet keeping speed. I prefere touge, I'm not one for tracks but then again I've never been on one. I touge'd with a 06+si 4dr the other night and somehow he couldn't shake me... it was kinda funny cuz he was taking the corners so wrong (I don't get why people trick out honda's for drag when theya re ment for curcuit ) . It was the first time I really pushed the car that hard and I was suprised it hadled so well with snows and with just a center brace, lol.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #26
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
I have to say all I've ever learned from video games is practice makes perfet... lol

Yea I know about lines and stuff but I'm talking about on a road making like a hard turn yet keeping speed. I prefere touge, I'm not one for tracks but then again I've never been on one. I touge'd with a 06+si 4dr the other night and somehow he couldn't shake me... it was kinda funny cuz he was taking the corners so wrong (I don't get why people trick out honda's for drag when theya re ment for curcuit ) . It was the first time I really pushed the car that hard and I was suprised it hadled so well with snows and with just a center brace, lol.
Learn to drive properly for a start. I highly suspect that people have been asking you to go to a track or autocross so that you wouldn't hurt yourself and/or take out an innocent bystander when you're "touge-ing".

Its one thing to stay on the tail of the car in front and another to drop him when he's on your tail. If you actually know as much as you think you know, then you would know that a centre brace does SFA especially with snows and nothing else. I'm not impressed and I don't think anyone else is.

And lastly if you want to be able to turn corners hard and still keep your speed, the critical thing is the speed you're talking about and how sharp the corner is. Get it wrong and you could roll the car.

I don't think PK198105 would have much to salvage.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #27
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

lol... i love comments like these. No one asks me to track my car. Why do you care so much about other people... especialy when you have no idea of the roads. Also I said that i was suprised it handled with snows, meaning snowsdon't make your car handle.

Well i mean like lets say i wanna take a 90 degree turn and i'm doing 60 and i slow down but i don't really wanna drop below 30. I have to say with practice i've gotten the car to not bog down and slide but it still feels like the suspension is jellow. I think i'm more likely to just spin the car around and wreck it or just fail, lol.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #28
TLyttle

Actually, we care about "other people" because they is us. The "other people" who you hit when (not if) you screw up on one of your experiments on the road. Take it to the track (all the traffic is going in one direction), or onto a very large parking lot to find out where the limits are on your car, whether it has snowtires or gummybands.

Have a look at some of he other threads and posts in here: there is lots of advice about proper handling and proper driving techniques. Study them, and try to learn from them. We DO have an idea of the roads, as many of us have driven in most parts of the continent, under every condition.

I would also suggest that C. Leong's comments are really nothing to "LOL" about; perhaps you should pay attention...
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #29
kou

Drives: 08 lb
i have seen first hand how this KID drives on the way to a show once, he was passing people on the shoulder even got a wheel in the dirt in a stock yaris. his driving will only change with age,accidents,or the police.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #30
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
i have seen first hand how this KID drives on the way to a show once, he was passing people on the shoulder even got a wheel in the dirt in a stock yaris. his driving will only change with age,accidents,or the police.
who was that NY PUNK????

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #31
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
who was that NY PUNK????
racerfreakxxx.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #32
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
racerfreakxxx.
good to know for next trip....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #33
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Quote:
lol... really? I drove that agressively down to that show? I had no idea where we were going half the ime so I'm sure I made some risky maneauvers to catch up. Also I dont' think i'm the only one who was driving like that, lol.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Holy smoke . Everybody missed the fact that the yaris has no LSD . Which means your inside wheel is spinning in the air when exiting the turn .

Ultimately the best advice is to get lessons . Also let someone else drive your car at the Autox .
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #35
TLyttle

Somehow, I don't really think he would let anyone else drive his car, it would be too much of an embarrassment for him.

We used to get hotshot tire-spinners out to our events, and it was fun to rub their noses in it by posting times that were 10% faster than their best. My ex used to REALLY make them blush when she was able to cadge a run "just to try", and on one run only, set a time they couldn't match for the rest of the day.

Sounds like this kid is still a long way from learning to drive smart to drive fast.