Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2006, 03:40 AM   #1
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Yaris Track Review

I had a chance to take the Yaris out to an open track day this past Sunday at Willow Springs Raceway "Big Willow" track. The event was run by Speedventures who always run a great event with LOTS of track time

It was my first time out in this car (only had ~850 miles when I got to the track) and had been "breaking in" the car up till the time I got there. I always like to take any new car out to the track at least a few times, just to get to know it better and fully realize its potential. As for mods I just have DF210 springs, OEM 12.4mm front camber bolts (-1.2deg camber), Tanabe axle back exhaust (so I can at least hear if it's on!), and some lightweight 15x7 wheels with DOT R tires (195/55/15 Bridgestone RE555/540S)

I was most impressed with how EASY the car is to drive! It was so much fun getting back in such a lightweight FWD car and being able to just cruise it near the limits without feeling like your pushing that hard. The car got a lot of funny looks and gained a lot of respect once people realized it's capable of keeping up with (and passing!) a lot of higher dollar machinery I went up with a good friend who drives a Lotus Elise (which I got to co-drive ) and was actually faster than him, though he is fairly new to track driving... some of the other "slower" cars included:

BMW E46 M3 (street tires)
Nissan 350Z (stock on street tires)
Masserati (all stock)
Mini Cooper S (modified with race tires)
NA Miata (race tires)
etc...

Now I realize a lot of these drivers probably don't push their cars as hard as they can, but it still feels great to pass some of those cars in a $10K econo-car

Overall, I felt it was a worthwhile experience, and though track duty is not the primary purpose for this car, I think I'll end up taking it out at least a few times a year The only upgrades that would really be nice to do for track use would be:

LSD
shorter gearing
stiffer suspension (coilovers/sways)
seat (more support)
harnesses (safety and support)
rollbar (safety)

Everything else held up great including brakes, clutch, power, etc.. I hope to see more Yaris owners taking their cars out to their local tracks!!!

Pics:

the Elise on track

Last edited by 03Z33; 12-25-2006 at 11:25 PM.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:08 AM   #2
jmew0ng

Drives: Scion FRS
hmm streets of willow... have you seen the black echo there?! XD
from echodrivers.com?
jmew0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:09 AM   #3
badhabitz

Drives: yaris
Send a message via AIM to badhabitz
just wait till i get my suspension and wheels and tires ill go with u to the track
badhabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmew0ng
hmm streets of willow... have you seen the black echo there?! XD
from echodrivers.com?
This event was at the "big track" but yes, I have seen the black echo with work wheels! very nice car and very original! I think he was chosen for the Best Motoring Touge Challenger right? Last I saw the car was at a meet at BTune
Old 09-07-2006, 04:13 AM   #5
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabitz
just wait till i get my suspension and wheels and tires ill go with u to the track
For sure Ken! I'd love to see more of us out there. Are you going to pick up the Cuscos from BP? You should! Don't waste money on the C-One stuff, it's nice but they're not coilovers and probably won't be any different than the Cuscos performance wise...
Old 09-07-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Do you guys want a link to see how the 1.3lt Yaris runs at Megara track in Greece?
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #7
03Z33

Sure, is it uploaded to youtube or something?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
Katana

I have this problem.The Video is on .mp4 format.Do u want to upload it in this format or not?
Old 09-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
Katana

Guys I cannot upload the video on Youtube.After it reaches 2%, nothing is happening dammit!
Old 09-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
Great report!

As a member of the ALFA Owners of SoCA in late 70's, I spent several Sundays out at now gone Riverside Raceway during the five times/yr club Time Trials. (One of those usually took place at Willow Springs, but never got there myself.)

A few observations and a question: See the full face helmuts, but looks like long sleeeves, 5-point harnesses and Roll-bars was not required by this group? These were Club required items back then and part of the pre-tracktime Tech Inspection. Would think Insurance requirements would beeven stricter now. (We had a spider flip after sliding into the dirt on Turn 1 - sort of a high-speed "S" - and the driver was not really hurt.)

What about oil? Back then, drivers would drive out to the track on their normal 20-50W and then change to straight 50W because of the added heat of running at high speed (like about 110 MPH thru turn 9). I did a couple of sedate laps around the track at lunchtime - when we were allowed to do so - and my '74 Spider got might hot by the end due to the higher speeds and operating temps. (By the way, I got boo'd by the Boy Scouts setting up camp in Turn 6 for my speed and poor line through there - sort of brings you down to earth.)

Two nights ago, much to my wife's protest, I chased a new Mustang thru a 270 Degree freeeway on-ramp - first time I had really pushed the car, It did very well, especially the stock tires. After driving small cars much of my life you learn to stay close and "race them in the curves", they're going to beat you on the straights.

I also agree, the LB should be geared a little lower - 2nd is too tall and 3rd, 4th & 5th are too close together, IMO.

Like the Pics, too. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:50 AM   #12
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana
Guys I cannot upload the video on Youtube.After it reaches 2%, nothing is happening dammit!
Sorry I'm not much help with the videos... hopefully someone else can better assist? Maybe if you email it to someone who can host it?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:00 AM   #13
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Somethings
Great report!

As a member of the ALFA Owners of SoCA in late 70's, I spent several Sundays out at now gone Riverside Raceway during the five times/yr club Time Trials. (One of those usually took place at Willow Springs, but never got there myself.)

A few observations and a question: See the full face helmuts, but looks like long sleeeves, 5-point harnesses and Roll-bars was not required by this group? These were Club required items back then and part of the pre-tracktime Tech Inspection. Would think Insurance requirements would beeven stricter now. (We had a spider flip after sliding into the dirt on Turn 1 - sort of a high-speed "S" - and the driver was not really hurt.)

What about oil? Back then, drivers would drive out to the track on their normal 20-50W and then change to straight 50W because of the added heat of running at high speed (like about 110 MPH thru turn 9). I did a couple of sedate laps around the track at lunchtime - when we were allowed to do so - and my '74 Spider got might hot by the end due to the higher speeds and operating temps. (By the way, I got boo'd by the Boy Scouts setting up camp in Turn 6 for my speed and poor line through there - sort of brings you down to earth.)

Two nights ago, much to my wife's protest, I chased a new Mustang thru a 270 Degree freeeway on-ramp - first time I had really pushed the car, It did very well, especially the stock tires. After driving small cars much of my life you learn to stay close and "race them in the curves", they're going to beat you on the straights.

I also agree, the LB should be geared a little lower - 2nd is too tall and 3rd, 4th & 5th are too close together, IMO.

Like the Pics, too. Thanks.
I attend Alfa Club events as well... they actually had a school event this same weekend at the "Streets Course".

The safety equipment depends more on the event organizer. Most organizers will allow you to run with the following:

closed toe shoes
long sleeve pants
M rated or higher helmet
roll bar (for convertibles only)
gloves recommended but optional
long sleeve shirts recommended but optional

The Alfa Club, BMWCCA, and PCA/POC are usually the most strict though and usually also require:

Long sleeve cotton pants AND shirt
fire extinguisher
gloves
five point harness
SA rated helmet (no M)

As far as oil goes, most modern cars won't see more than 200-230 deg. oil temps which the standard weight oils are more than capable of handling. For extended track use, or higher HP cars, it doesn't hut to run a heavier synthetic oil for some extra safety margin.

I always see videos and hear about the old Riverside Speedway, wish I could have been there back then! You should come check out the next track day if you're free, we can usually take passengers for ride-alongs if you're not interested in getting out there and driving yourself.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #14
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Somethings
... my '74 Spider
droooool.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #15
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
Here's what those two are looking at (circa 1996).

The green one is mine (still own it - in storage right now), and the red GTV was my daughters - she sold it after their son was born. She grew up riding on the Pkg Shelf of the Spider, she drove our '76 Alfetta around Laguna Seca in the parade an lunchtime during 1985 Monterey Historic Auto Races, and she LOVED her '74 GTV (which she bought herself). As she says, she has already owned her dream car!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #16
03Z33

Very
Old 10-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #17
jdmkenji

Drives: Black Liftback Yaris
Glad to see someone racing their Yaris. I've ran Willow Springs Raceway, Irwindale speedway, Button Willow and various tracks here in Nevada... both for time trials and drifting. Definitely fun to do... hope to see more Yaris enthusiasts taking the Yaris to the next level.
jdmkenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:26 AM   #18
Katana

How did you manage to drift your Yaris???

I need advices!