Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Am I correct that the Yaris has an inredibly stiff chassis?

Just comparing to my last four go-carts - 328i, EH Civic, EG Civic, and MkII Golf.

For a lightweight car, and mine is still all stock it just feels like the chassis is very stiff which is good. Maybe's its because it was engineered to have good crash ratings, but I think a side effect is that the chassis is stiff which should mean good handling/track potential.

I don't even know if there is a spec for chassis flex that prove me right or wrong, but does anyone else notice this?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
yeah, i noticed...
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I have a confession...

I haven't had an alignment done in 60,000 miles.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Yes, it is quite a stiff chassis.

There's a spec for "torsional rigidity", something like weight/degrees of chassis flex or something like that. It's pretty darned small on most modern cars.

The increase in stiffness has more to do with the market's desire for/expectation of less NVH in a car. Toyota is trying to build a small car with the appeal of a bigger car. Those of us who grew up in the 70's-80's think of small cars as being cheap and rattly little things. Toyota (and others) is trying very hard to defeat that reputation.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
. Those of us who grew up in the 70's-80's think of small cars as being cheap and rattly little things. Toyota (and others) is trying very hard to defeat that reputation.

I think the chassis impresses me the most, to bad they have it floating on absolute crap shocks/springs. The stock shocks/springs are so bad it makes me question investing in TRDs, both made by the same company/engineers, in my mind they could have made the same mistakes.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

No problems with my springs and shocks.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
No problems with my springs and shocks.
Your screen name just cracks me up I picture you in your Yaris with a chiuaua perched behind your headrest.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Hanging there in its little Dooney and Bourke handbag, of course. Life in "The Real World."
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #9
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
The other day I stopped on a side slope, after I opened the hatch, it would not close properly, I'm not sure if the hatch uupper mounts shifted or if the chassis flexes big time I was not impressed.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I think the chassis impresses me the most, to bad they have it floating on absolute crap shocks/springs. The stock shocks/springs are so bad it makes me question investing in TRDs, both made by the same company/engineers, in my mind they could have made the same mistakes.
wellll the TRD shocks are apparently just rebadged Eibachs (as is most "TRD" stuff, a lot of badge engineering there)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
wellll the TRD shocks are apparently just rebadged Eibachs (as is most "TRD" stuff, a lot of badge engineering there)
TRD springs may be manufactured by Eibach (many brands are) however the drop is 1.2" compared to Eibach's Pro-Kit with is advertised at 1" only. This would suggest that TRD set the spec. for whomever wound and painted the steel.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Are you 100% sure they are the same?
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote