Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Anyone knowledgeable about fiberglass?

I'd like to know if I can attach fiberglass to metal.
If it's possible, I'd like to know how to prep the metal for fiberglass and how to make it adhere to each other.
What I'm afraid of is that if I'm able to lay fiberglass to metal and later paint it,
I don't want the area where fiberglass meets metal to start cracking on me months down the road.
Any advice appreciated. :)
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Check out the Plexus adhesives by ITW. We use MA310 to bond angle iron mounting brackets to the vacuformed ABS shell on one of our products. Once it is cured the metal brackets can't be removed without severe damage to the plastic.

http://www.itwplexus.com/UserFiles/F...ectorGuide.pdf

Here's an example of a place that sells it for carbon fiber to metal bonding on race cars:

http://www.jerrybickel.com/specialty...hesives-1.html
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Epoxy resin will do it and it is far superior the fiberglass.

Google West System

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
SailDesign

Drives: .
The Plexus is the best bet. BUT- use the primer they sell, or go home! It is a VERY good product (use it all the time in boatbuilding) but it must be used correctly.
Is your joint going to be in tension, compression, or shear/torsion? It makes a difference.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
mmmm the Bondo stuff at advanced auto is probably all you ever need, don't need to bust ass tracking down some epoxy resin and fiberglass. I personally shop at USComposites.com and fiberglast.com But yeah i had to cut out some rust spots on the rear fender of my mothers accord and fiberglass a new part of the panel its came out fine... you just need to rough up the metal a bit with some 80 grit or something so it has something to adhere to. Of course the proper way to do it would be a new piece of metal then filler it..
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Is your joint going to be in tension, compression, or shear/torsion? It makes a difference.
Hmmm... none of the above? Shear maybe? As I don't want it to shear off if someone bumps into it.
I just want to lay fiberglass fender flares onto my car, but without riveting it to the metal fender.
There isn't much material to contact from flare to fender, so I'm hoping to find a strong bond.
Thanks for your advice all!
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
if youre going to flare it your going to have a lip regardless, and then youre going to have to use filler, you might as well rivet them to make life easier on you actually and then filler over it and paint and it will look fine
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Well if they are pre-formed fenders use the 2 part body epoxy available at parts stores. You might have to "rent" the caulking gun but it will hold forever. It is the same methods used to assemble fighter jets.

Look up 3M™ Automix™ Panel Bonding Adhesive.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Hmmm... none of the above? Shear maybe? As I don't want it to shear off if someone bumps into it.
I just want to lay fiberglass fender flares onto my car, but without riveting it to the metal fender.
There isn't much material to contact from flare to fender, so I'm hoping to find a strong bond.
Thanks for your advice all!
If you are doing that, then you need a mechanical fastener, IMNSFHO. To do it with a 'poxy product, you will need to strip the paint, and then you'll have to fair/paint the whole thing anyway.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote