Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
0w-20 wight oill

Hey guys,
I've seen in the owner's manual in my yaris (1.33L 1NR-FE engine) that they also recommend 0-20 weight oil,since 2009 (the year the manual was published).
But the dealership's mechanic in Israel told me that this would damage the engine (although the manual specifically recommends it,even over 5w-30 oil).

has anyone experienced side effects?bad start up?cranks?anything related to the low viscosity of the oil?
and another thing-why has it taken so long (over a year) to approve the 0w-20 oil in the US,while it was authorized in europe and Israel in the toyota manual?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
I just took my Yaris in again for its 2nd 0W-20 oil change on October 16, 2010.

And still - there is no written documentation stating that it's recommended - or even approved for the Yaris.

I just remember hearing somewhere that synthetic oils are better than fossil fuel oils.

So - I'm at a 50-50 - I put about 200-230 KMs a day on my Yaris - and with 0W-20 it seems to run fine - so I'm thinking maybe just switch to reg oil and see what happens?

I should mention that I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined so I'm at the mercy of the stealership.
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #21
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliwackGuy View Post
I just took my Yaris in again for its 2nd 0W-20 oil change on October 16, 2010.

And still - there is no written documentation stating that it's recommended - or even approved for the Yaris.

I just remember hearing somewhere that synthetic oils are better than fossil fuel oils.

So - I'm at a 50-50 - I put about 200-230 KMs a day on my Yaris - and with 0W-20 it seems to run fine - so I'm thinking maybe just switch to reg oil and see what happens?

I should mention that I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined so I'm at the mercy of the stealership.

you put 200-230 KM on your yaris daily?that's 5600 Km approximately in a month! My yaris is only 10900 Km after a year..
anyway,
If there is no written documentation or TSB on the subject,I think you should keep up to your owner's manual and stick to synthetic oil only.
The reason for synthetic oil is that it's less prone to shear and oxidization under extended perios of time and mileage.

what is your manufacturer's recommendation?
Old 10-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #22
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai_Dang View Post
Go to walmart, get a 5 quart jug of "Mobil 1 0w-20 advanced fuel economy" for $21, its fully synthetic. Follow the pictures on this DIY: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=oil.

Changing the oil is the easiest thing you can do to a car, you just twist open the oil pan screw and let the oil leak out, put ~3.3 quarts of oil in, replace oil filter, and voila you're done. Good for 15k miles or 1 year, and use the extra $40 to buy steak.
Um..You put in 3.3 quarts of oil in your yaris? Although i drive the Yaris sedan, but i think we have the same engine. My owner's manual states 3.7 quarts of oil with the oil filter change and 3.4 without the oil filter change.

Also i don't see the point buying a 5 quart jug of oil when our car takes less than 4 quarts of oil. i just buy 4 bottles of oil.
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #23
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007yariz View Post
Um..You put in 3.3 quarts of oil in your yaris? Although i drive the Yaris sedan, but i think we have the same engine. My owner's manual states 3.7 quarts of oil with the oil filter change and 3.4 without the oil filter change.

Also i don't see the point buying a 5 quart jug of oil when our car takes less than 4 quarts of oil. i just buy 4 bottles of oil.
Either way 3.7 or 3.3 will still be in operating range. I always buy 5 quart jug of Mobil1 Synthetic because if you buy 4 single quarts. You pay a much higher cost per quart. I save the extra and about every 3rd change I dont need to buy any oil. Last time I bought oil it was the same or more for 4 quarts as the 5 quart jug. Plus they are great for taking my used oil to AutoZone in.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #24
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
I'd rather have more oil than less oil(less lubrication)

I don't drive as much as you do. I can barely rack up 3k miles in 6 months, so i change it twice a year, that extra quart of oil might get contaminated somehow. I really like the placement of the oil filter in our yaris, there are no wires or reserviors around it:) it's so easy to wrap it around with an oil filter wrench.
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote