Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #37
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

Tell your mom to buy the Apple bluetooth keyboard, it mates with the iPad perfectly and makes a nice little desktop system.
Actually, I have another suggestion. If your mom and her iPad never leave the house, then great.

But if you are like me and you take the iPad everywhere, and like to toss it in the backpack, etc., and portability is important, then you might want to look into getting the ZAGG bluetooth keyboard instead of the Apple KB.

I saw it at MacWorld about a month ago and was completely blown away by its functionality. It actually works better than the Apple KB IMO, and doubles as a(n excellent iPad) case.

Also, the Apple bluetooth KB is an "either / or" kind of deal, whereas Zagg has worked it so you can use the virtual and the bluetooth KB at the same time, just by pressing a Function key.

Check it out

http://goo.gl/w2RES

(ZAGG also makes the best "military grade" tough skins for all kinds of devices, including the iPad.)
Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #38
tomato
Super Moderator

PS. I don' t work for ZAGG ;)
Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #39
tomato
Super Moderator

@frownonfun No one *needs* anything, except food, water and shelter, clothes (the kind that keep you warm, not the kind that have designer names on them ;)

You don't need cable, Netflix, a certain color Yaris (why don't we all get grey cars, after all, all we need is to get around, right? ;) , certainly not the mods on the car, or the vast majority of objects that surround us. However, we still get these things because they fill another "need" or want, even if only a need for pleasure.

I know it's hard for some people to wrap their head around it but tablet computing is going to stay. I'm willing to bet we'll all have tablets 5 years down the road, max (and BTW, I would be shocked if the iMac of the future doesn't operate by touch as well, but that's a whole other conversation for some other time. ;)

I bought a bluetooth keyboard so I could work on my iPad. I wouldn't work on it 24/7, 7 days a week, but I can definitely work on it several days (with the help of a touch keyboard). So to me, it's not just a luxury object. It's also helpful.

The tablet's strong point (besides the touch screen) is, for me, portability and long battery life. Its weak points for me is lack of Flash, and it would be nice to have a USB port or three.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #40
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
@frownonfun No one *needs* anything, except food, water and shelter, clothes (the kind that keep you warm, not the kind that have designer names on them ;)

You don't need cable, Netflix, a certain color Yaris (why don't we all get grey cars, after all, all we need is to get around, right? ;) , certainly not the mods on the car, or the vast majority of objects that surround us. However, we still get these things because they fill another "need" or want, even if only a need for pleasure.

I know it's hard for some people to wrap their head around it but tablet computing is going to stay. I'm willing to bet we'll all have tablets 5 years down the road, max (and BTW, I would be shocked if the iMac of the future doesn't operate by touch as well, but that's a whole other conversation for some other time. ;)

I bought a bluetooth keyboard so I could work on my iPad. I wouldn't work on it 24/7, 7 days a week, but I can definitely work on it several days (with the help of a touch keyboard). So to me, it's not just a luxury object. It's also helpful.

The tablet's strong point (besides the touch screen) is, for me, portability and long battery life. Its weak points for me is lack of Flash, and it would be nice to have a USB port or three.
Yes, yes. Needs and wants. Food, shelter, oxygen. I assumed that'd be the argument. But somehow I draw a distinction between say, indoor plumbing and a device that let's you play angry birds anytime you want in the palm of your hand. Neither are things you NEED but one of the two greatly improves your life while the other well, I guess some people seem to think so.

Like I said though, it's not iPad specific. I feel like all these over hyped gadgets are turning us all into these people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZAAZ7iXN-o

and these people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHlN21ebeak

and this lady...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg11glsBW4Y

And the funny thing is the first two are just ads to get you to buy MORE GADGETS!! Wow. We've become tech zombies.

But anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. Just my opinion.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #41
tomato
Super Moderator

Hahaha, those videos are hilarious!!!

Last edited by tomato; 03-06-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: changed my mind
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #42
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
To buy or not to buy, that is the question
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #43
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I'm a bit cheesed at the lack of pre-ordering. I read an article last week that claimed that Apple is not allowing people to place orders prior to release day to prevent a lack of lines at the stores. They like to get the publicity of the long lines and they didn't with the Verizon iPhone 4, since most people pre-ordered them.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #44
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
ill give you a hint...

DONT!
lmao come on man I know your opinion on Apple lol
Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #45
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Hahaha actually I am a PC lol but I would like to try it out tho, I could always sell it. Dani has a big ol MAC its alright but the PC its easier for me
Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #46
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
My only gripe with apple is two things. For one, they come out with a new update every few months on something that someone spends a ton of money for. That's very frustrating and I'm very surprised that alot of apple customers have not raised hell over it. My other gripe is the fact that apple is very limited on what they let you do. Like with the osx on the computers, they give you all the apps from the factory out of the box that they want you to use. Trying to find and add additional applications and programs that did not come pre-installed from apple, good luck. A very 'what you see is what you get and nothing more" sense of thinking from apple.

I enjoy all of the programs I have on my windows pc such as the youtube to mp3 converter, alot of the free online multiplayer games and a multitude of other programs
that are completley non-existent on macs. I really love the ibook g3 that lasted me
a whopping 8 years of constant use. Apples are built to last, no denying that. But
they just do not let you change a damn thing about them. They really need to update
the two choices that you get to color the borders and boxes...blue or grey/silver? Come on Steve. We all know apple is about minimalistic views but don't be a communist.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #47
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I'm a bit cheesed at the lack of pre-ordering. I read an article last week that claimed that Apple is not allowing people to place orders prior to release day to prevent a lack of lines at the stores. They like to get the publicity of the long lines and they didn't with the Verizon iPhone 4, since most people pre-ordered them.
Just order it online after 3/11

It's OK if you don't get it on Day 1, you know

I'm not sure I understand why people feel the need to stand in line to buy an iPod or whatever when they could just wait a week or so I mean maybe the first iPhone or the very first of a very new product, limited edition, OK. But everybody knows there is plenty more where those came from
Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #48
tomato
Super Moderator

PK, we ***all*** know how you feel (clearly! hehehe) but I"m curious... have you ever had an Apple product in your hands? Any Apple product? a Mac, an iPod, an iPad ? Anything?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #49
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Just order it online after 3/11

It's OK if you don't get it on Day 1, you know

I'm not sure I understand why people feel the need to stand in line to buy an iPod or whatever when they could just wait a week or so I mean maybe the first iPhone or the very first of a very new product, limited edition, OK. But everybody knows there is plenty more where those came from
It's actually for my 12 year old daughter. She's actually been mighty patient with waiting past her birthday to get it, so I was hoping that, like with prior releases, we could have it delivered on release day. The latest word is that you can place your order after 12:01AM PST on Friday (or go to the store at 5:00 PM). For hers I am going to do the online order first thing Friday morning.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #50
Crandall
H8R

Drives: 08 White RS
Interesting because Apple only has around seven percent of the computer market share. I'd hardly qualify that as the masses.

Apple make (good) products for their niche clientele and they're done quite well for themselves. You don't make it on the Fortune 500 list with over 5 billion in profit without making products people like. Is Apple for everyone, no. I own Android devices; I enjoy them, but I'm not going to come here and sling my personal preferences like they're the cold hard facts.

The starting price for the Motorola Xoom is eight hundred dollars; While the iPad 2 with the same memory and both WiFi only is roughly eighty dollars cheaper. If you look at the 3G model it's around one hundred and fifty dollars cheaper for the iPad 2. I've read the reviews and think they Xoom has a lot of potential, however at it's price point I can't see it taking a big chunk out of Apple's market share. Epically with the Black Berry Playbook coming out at a lower price point.

Are the Xoom's specs impressive, yes. Does Honeycomb have a lot of rich and exciting features, yes. However I can't justify the price for it when a 16GB WiFi only iPad 2 is a good price and really all the space I need to watch movies and browse the net on the go.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #51
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It's actually for my 12 year old daughter. She's actually been mighty patient with waiting past her birthday to get it, so I was hoping that, like with prior releases, we could have it delivered on release day. The latest word is that you can place your order after 12:01AM PST on Friday (or go to the store at 5:00 PM). For hers I am going to do the online order first thing Friday morning.
She's going to love it!

The thing people don't understand with the iPad is that it's a user + device thing. You just "click" with the device the minute you put your fingers on it. There is an app for everything, for every one. Children love it. Older people love it. The user interface is **** slick **** so it's hard not to be amazed.

I don't have very many apps on mine, and yet, last night I was wondering if I had to give up my laptop or my iPad, I probably would give up my laptop at this point (now that I have a bluetooth keyboard and cloud computing is getting more sophisticated), the device can be quite handy on the go. I just can't see continuing to haul 10 pounds of laptop + cables and stuff when the iPad can do most of the same thing and weighs only 2 pounds, plus the battery lasts 3 or 4 days.

I'm not an apple "fan" by any means , but you gotta give credit when credit's due and the iPad is a very cool device that works very well for what it does.

People who own Apple computers are not necessarily sheep, you know. You'd be surprised who uses macs (if you drive through silicon valley, you'll see a lot of macs in people's backpacks, just sayin' ) Just my .02

I'm still a huge Android fan, nothing's gonna change that but I happen to like Apple's stuff too for what it does best. PK I still maintain that if you saw your photography on an iMac, it would probably knock your socks off.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #52
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
She's going to love it!

The thing people don't understand with the iPad is that it's a user + device thing. You just "click" with the device the minute you put your fingers on it. There is an app for everything, for every one. Children love it. Older people love it. The user interface is **** slick **** so it's hard not to be amazed.

I don't have very many apps on mine, and yet, last night I was wondering if I had to give up my laptop or my iPad, I probably would give up my laptop at this point (now that I have a bluetooth keyboard and cloud computing is getting more sophisticated), the device can be quite handy on the go. I just can't see continuing to haul 10 pounds of laptop + cables and stuff when the iPad can do most of the same thing and weighs only 2 pounds, plus the battery lasts 3 or 4 days.

I'm not an apple "fan" by any means , but you gotta give credit when credit's due and the iPad is a very cool device that works very well for what it does.

People who own Apple computers are not necessarily sheep, you know. You'd be surprised who uses macs (if you drive through silicon valley, you'll see a lot of macs in people's backpacks, just sayin' ) Just my .02

I'm still a huge Android fan, nothing's gonna change that but I happen to like Apple's stuff too for what it does best. PK I still maintain that if you saw your photography on an iMac, it would probably knock your socks off.
My daughters (7 and 12) constantly steal my wife's iPad to play games, web surf, or watch netflix, so my daughter is chomping at the bit to have her own. They each have their own PC, but like the iPad far better.

I have about 150 apps on mine, but there are probably only about 10 that I use on a daily basis.

I have a 21" iMac, but only use it for ipad/iphone development. If I could do development on a PC I would be much happier, as I really prefer Windows to OSX. I made the mistake at an Apple developers conference of inquiring if the dev tools would eventually be available for the PC.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #53
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
@tomato - Not to change the subject but you mentioned cloud computing. I would say you should stay as far away from it as possible. It is not the wave of the future unless, like Google, SalesForce et al you have a vested interest in it. It sounds good in theory, but in practice it's a major fail.

Think about it - to be smart you should keep local backups of all your data in the event there is some issue with your data in the cloud. And if you think about it, having to keep local backups sort of invalidates the whole purpose of cloud computing in the first place.

Case in point - the recent outage of GMail that caused so much havoc.

It's nothing more than a tech fallacy much like Web 2.0...
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #54
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I'm merely stating that there is other hardware and software than the shiny Apple of Eve.
actually, no. You're not "merely stating", the post above is one example of your persistent sarcasm. I would hope for more mutual respect and honoring other's preferences here.

{unsubscribed}
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote