Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
SpeedingYaris

Drives: Yaris Sedan Base Automatic
CAI, Exhaust

I own a 2009 yaris sedan automatic, and am going to purchase the trd exhaust. If i purchase an Intake, will it void my warranty? Also is there really that much difference between the cold air intakes and short ram intakes? Which one resists rain/snow the most and which one is more easily serviced?
SpeedingYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
K&N drop in air filter.If you are going to get the TRD exhaust, might as well get the DC 4 to 1 header.
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
EPyarisdriver
...or Vegas for short

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3door LB
Depends the area where you live.. Since you live in NY theres plenty of cold air to suck in but if you like in the desert with me the short ram works better IMO.. also the short ram "resists" the rain and snow better. But this is only if you want an intake. If not then the K&N filter and removing the top filter in the stock airbox is what Im running and I love it. Your warranty shouldnt be voided if you put the intake as long its done RIGHT.
Hope this helped a little!
EPyarisdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I would think the only warranty issues you would have is if you hydralocked the motor because your filter got submerged in water due to relocating it.

the best thing to do is an anonoamous call to the toyota service shop to see what they would say. I personally would just keep the stock intake in your attic or something. if you have issues, swap it back in.

I am pretty sure that the muffler is considered a wear item so that shouldn't be an issue. just don't mess with the cat or in front of it.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
SpeedingYaris

Drives: Yaris Sedan Base Automatic
Ive looked at short ram intakes, the K&N is about 300 while the afe is 160. Does the afe offer the same amount of protection from dirt, dust, etc as the K&N, or is the K&N worth the extra 140$?
SpeedingYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris CE, 5-speed
Exclamation Ohhh K&N...

I don't like K&N air intakes, as I've experienced check engine lights when I installed one on my friend's Corolla. Ok, not a Yaris, but still a Toyota with an ECM that likes to throw codes if things are too different.

aFe looks like a good bang for the buck, and offers better protection than my current setup : Injen CAI with a hydroshield on it. As long as you don't drive deliberately into water, you're fine.

BTW: No check engine lights with Injen, as they engineer the intake for the engine, not just "making it fit" like K&N sadly does.

Last edited by vvvvvvvvvvvvv; 09-21-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Wanted to add...
vvvvvvvvvvvvv is offline   Reply With Quote