Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
Parking Assist

Hi everyone. I thought I update who ever is interested about installing a parking aid.

I did not want to install ultrasonic type as I did not want to drill the bumper. I was also intrigued by Rostra Obstacle Sensing System (ROSS) an electromagnetic system that can be viewed here .

System was easy to install and as I just installed it today only some testing was done in local parking lot.

Nice feature is it detects person, dog, tree, poles and other, which I find very useful as new cars do not have the greatest visibility.

Light Emitting Diodes which I mounted on the inside of the third brake light are hidden behind the center rear seat headrest (which I thought I will remove) but was pleasantly surprised that since the LEDs are mounted high they reflect in rear window glass which is very nice.

Audible alarm is nice and loud and is mounted under the rear window parcel shelf. It is loud enough so when car is backing up a person walking will be alerted as it is reasonably loud even outside. It sound like a truck backing up. If I get tired of the noise I can always put a piece of tape over the alarm.

One draw back I found is that car has to be moving at least 2 Km/h in order to function. I found speed too fast when parallel parking.

Here are some photos,

Cheers, Ratz

Last edited by Ratz; 12-22-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I didn't see an install manual on Rostra's site. Did you have to tie it to the backup signal and VSS or does it use an accelerometer to figure out your speed and direction?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Just found the directions (which were right there, but I missed them). It looks like it must use an accelerometer, since it only gets tied to the backup lights. If it used the VSS, it would be easy to fool it into thinking that the car was moving faster, so it would work for precision parking.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Ratz

Not sure about an accelerometer as during my trial the vehicle was stopped in reverse (unit activated). I ask a person to walk by the rear of the car and sure enough the system was activated and measured the distance of walking person.
The unit is using microwave radar, but that is currently a black magic to me, except I know it is used in motion sensors/detectors. I have to do some reading.
The microwave sensor sends out a high frequency sound wave while listening for bounce back. When the sound wave is returned at a different frequency the sensor knows that there is a moving object within the detection zone.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratz View Post
Not sure about an accelerometer as during my trial the vehicle was stopped in reverse (unit activated). I ask a person to walk by the rear of the car and sure enough the system was activated and measured the distance of walking person.
The unit is using microwave radar, but that is currently a black magic to me, except I know it is used in motion sensors/detectors. I have to do some reading.
The microwave sensor sends out a high frequency sound wave while listening for bounce back. When the sound wave is returned at a different frequency the sensor knows that there is a moving object within the detection zone.
That's correct and probably why the 2 MPH minimum limit is there - Due to the sensitivity of the circuit.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Ratz

More reason to drive fast.