Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Hardicus

Drives: 2007 YRX Hatch
Problems Mounting Tweeters

Hi all,

I recently purchased some Alpine Type G components for my Hatchback, and i'm struggling to figure out how i'm going to mount them. I've seen lots of pics on this and other forums where people have mounted them in the door handle like this:

I assumed this would be the easiest course of action, as everything I've seen basically states that you just need to drill a hole in that one piece of trim. I have zero experience with car audio, but this seemed like the best option, as it also meant all the wiring was contained to the door, and I didn't have to mess around with the A-pillar which has an airbag in it.

So I went out to check that it really was going to be this simple, and this is what I came across.

So this is the piece of trim where I intend to mount the tweeter, all good, so I take it off...

...and this is what's underneath. Now, if I were to try and mount a tweeter in this position, then I'm obviously going to have to drill through this section too. Nowhere in anything I've read have I seen any mention of this. I just assumed that there was empty space behind the top panel. How would I drill/cut a hole through this? Does it matter if I have to mangle and make some of the clip holes unusable?

A picture of the tweeter in the position I'm intending to mount it. It looks like cutting through this section would be pretty difficult without a dremel. Any suggestions for alternative ways?

The other option I guess is to mount it in the A-pillar, but I'm really not keen on that.

Can anyone who has done this same install comment on how they managed to do this. Was cutting required? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks very much for you time.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Hardicus

Hmmm I did an extensive search before I posted this, but only just now ran across this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28260

Shows what I want I think. Still curious on what would be the best tool to gouge out that section though.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I would use a 2" hole cutter with a drill and cut through the under panel.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzinn 1 View Post
I would use a 2" hole cutter with a drill and cut through the under panel.
This.

I did this in mine and I would recommend removing the entire door panel. Leave the top cover piece on when you drill through. You should be fine with the clips. I even mounted mine further towards the front and it was fine.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ same here
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Hardicus

Thanks all, I got around to it on the weekend. Ended up using a stanley knife to cut through the underpanel. It looks pretty good, only problem is my tweeters don't sit quite flush due to that panel being slightly curved. I don't know how to fix it, but it's good enough for now, until it bugs me enough to try and glue them down or something.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Mmmm...that's the rub. You've got to know the surface you're mounting on. You COULD cut out a larger rectangle-ish area to make room for a flat baffle to mount the tweeters on. By then though, you might as well have put them in the a-pillars with all the work you're going to do to make it look nice.

A pillars are a better location anyway due to PLDs.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Hardicus

Yep gotta say I chose this location cos of ease of installation, but having done it, i'm pretty certain the A pillars would have been easier.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Sorry for bump.. but if you still have an issue with the gap you could find a rubber grommet/gasket and put it between the tweeter and the panel piece.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
yojabbajabba

Drives: 2008 YRS 5Dr LB (1.5L)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Sorry for bump.. but if you still have an issue with the gap you could find a rubber grommet/gasket and put it between the tweeter and the panel piece.
... great idea! I'm thinking of mounting the tweeters in the A-pillar, thanks for the tip!
yojabbajabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
lol... good times. I didn't have a drill at the time, so I used some old knives I didn't care about...heated the knife on the gas stove and melted a hole in the plastics. Had to disable the smoke alarm as it blasted off, but turned out good in the end.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
How does the wiring for a tweeter work if I wanted to DIY? I've been looking into this for a bit now
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote