Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Steveh27

Drives: 2010 3dr hatchback auto red
what service before warranty ends

My 36 month warranty ends later this year. What inspections or detailed type of examination should I have just before it ends to make sure all is still good before its gone? I have been following the required maintenance schedule even though I barely drive 6,000 miles per year. Currently have around 14k miles.
Steveh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
You can always take it to the dealership and have them do a 21 point inspection on your last oil change.. But to be honest I think you will be wasting your time. A mechanic at a dealership prob wont bother finding something wrong under warranty (unless its a safety issue). Now if YOU find something that is wrong and tell them to fix it, then yes, they SHOULD fix it with no questions.

Your best bet is take it to another shop that isnt a dealership. Probably going to have to pay for them to inspect the car, like a diag fee or inspection fee. If they quote you on something, just tell them you will come back later so you can drop it off for the day.. then take it to the dealer and have them fix it, IF its under warranty...

More then likely they will try to sell you an air filter, tires or some crazy thing like a coolant/brake/trans flush at your 15k interval...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
water pump, but your car is still young at 14k miles. im paranoid about my waterpump when my warranty ended JUST yesterday at 36k mi.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
water pump, but your car is still young at 14k miles. im paranoid about my waterpump when my warranty ended JUST yesterday at 36k mi.
What he said. Mine blew at 45k miles, replacing it cost me ~$70. Not that big a deal, but while you're at it, have it checked.

Another point of concern- don't leave it up to the last minute. I also planned on having my Yaris inspected before the warranty ended. Mr T told me they need to have all warranty-related jobs done before the warranty ends- so they will need some time to order the parts and install them if they find something. I went to have the check-up about a week before the warranty ended, gladly they didn't find anything. So check with your dealer for their policy to make sure you/they have enough time.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
^ waterpump is covered under powertrain warranty 5yr/60k mi whichever comes first

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
The waterpump is covered under the powertrain warranty? Thank goodness! My car's 36 month warranty will be up this spring. The problem is, my car only has a bit under 11,000 miles, which is a little too early to know if the waterpump is defective. Glad to see I have another couple years to find out, because I'd hate to have to pay for it out of pocket.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Steveh27

Drives: 2010 3dr hatchback auto red
Thanks

Thanks for the replies & ideas.
Steve
Steveh27 is offline   Reply With Quote