Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Big Socal race weekend

This coming weekend has the Tire Rack Solo National Tour at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, and the SCCA Club Racing Double National/BFGoodrich Tires Super Tour at Buttonwillow Raceway Park.

I see one Yaris on the entry list for San Diego, Bobby Beyer, in the newly restructured Street Touring FWD class. Live timing and audio can be streamed once this link is up: http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=3597

We are taking both the 99 and 00 cars to Buttonwillow, and Jamie Bestwick will be joining us once again. We are heading up early to get a full day of testing on Friday - Jamie needs to learn the track, and we have not tested the new close-ratio trans yet. I can not wait to see how these run with the new gears.

The BFG Super Tour on Sunday will have live timing and scoring online:

For Timing and Notes: www.scca.com/sccalive

For Timing Only: www.livetiming.net/scca/supertour

For Mobile Devices: www.livetiming.net/scca/supertour/html.asp

For Web Devices: www.livetiming.net/scca/supertour/wap.asp

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=3548

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 04-24-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Jason@SportsCar

What a weekend, fun, but long and exhausting… We got some great data from the test on Friday at Buttonwillow Raceway Park. Both cars got a spring change, as well as some alignment and tire pressure tweaks, they are faster than ever. However, after a practice session in Jamie Bestwick’s 2012 Yaris I was extremely disappointed to discover that it is faster than my car. Time to give the old number 99 some attention.
On Saturday Bestwick qualified 3rd and had a great battle with Neil Verity, who started second, which allowed me to slip away after staring 1st. They went at it hard, and each of them spent time off the racing surface trying to claim 2nd - this may have been our fault; during dinner Friday night we let Bestwick see the Prill “Pass-in-the-grass video”. Verity eventually fell back, thinking he had hurt a tire while off track, allowing Leroy Shaver to claim 3rd, with Bestwick in 2nd. I stayed out front, and reset the HP record to a 2:10.476 on the way to the win.
Saturday night Bestwick watched some GoPro footage from when I drove his car in Friday practice and found a few areas to adjust his line, improving his Sunday qualifying time by nearly a second, putting him P2 right behind me. The start went well, and for the first few laps it looked like Bestwick was going to challenge me for the lead. That was until he grabbed a handful of neutral going for a shift over Lost Hill, killing his momentum all the way to the Grapevine section. Some traffic eventually got between us, preventing him from catching back up. We finished with Verity 3rd, Bestwick 2nd and me taking the Super Tour win. It was great having a Toyota Yaris 1-2 both days in H Production.
The GoPro team got some great footage this weekend, rumor has it Bestwick made a pit-stop at a local fast food establishment in the 00 car, cant wait to see the next video.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Nicely done!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Jason@SportsCar

Test day:

Post podium celebration:
Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Is he old enough to do that?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ Is he old enough to do that?
Actually the most dominant rider in BMX vert is 41.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
congrats guys :)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

My video from Saturday's race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1twCVJWZkA4
Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Jason@SportsCar

Sunday's race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjOtkt34gJM
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Test day:

Post podium celebration:
Jamie actually posted this same picture on Facebook the other day!! Way to go guys, way to represent the Yaris World community. If I could talk NASA into creating a B-Spec Vintage class, I'd build an '07 Yaris. I just can't afford a brand new car to go racing in. I just bought a '10 Yaris as my DD, but want an '07 to auto-x and run track events later.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
If I could talk NASA into creating a B-Spec Vintage class, I'd build an '07 Yaris. I just can't afford a brand new car to go racing in. I just bought a '10 Yaris as my DD, but want an '07 to auto-x and run track events later.

racerb
I don't believe NASA has, or is embracing B-Spec in any way - just what I hear from someone I know over there. You can build any year Yaris for PTF/E3. SCCA also allows any year (US Spec) Yaris in B-Spec. There was a B-Spec Ford Fiesta at this race... I lapped him three times. I would build for H Prod or the new Super Touring Lite class.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
I would really like to have dual membership, but with current budget constraints, my $75 joint membership to NASA makes more sense. As you said I could build a PTF car from the Yaris, but I'm already building a PTE/D Celica GTS. So for me personally a B-Spec Yaris makes more sense from the economical build standpoint. I've raced some type of racecar for the last 30 plus years, from Stock Class Auto-X to Improved Touring Road Racing, but always on a limited budget. So just for me personally, I want to stay with one Sanction body, one set of rules. But please keep us updated on your exploits, cause it gives us all something to strive for, limited budget or not!!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Jason@SportsCar

Jamie's car has been nominated for the Black Magic Shine award from the BFG Super Tour at Buttonwillow. Like it on the SCCA Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater