Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
pink radiator fluid

I've read on this forum that the water pump problems with the Yaris might be attributable to the pink radiator fluid that is standard. Can one change out this pink fluid for a different type of fluid that might not be as problematic for the water pumps?
Thanks.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Sure. Just drain the radiator at the drain on the lower left side of the red. On my ECHO all the coolant came out without resorting to the block drain.

I think it unlikely the coolant is responsible however.

Perhaps others will weigh in?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Might do some more in depth reading about the fluids and waterpump failure. If you got some cheap "pink", I'll take it.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
the pink stuff is Toyota long life fluid and i doubt its the cause of a water pump failure
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
I've read on this forum that the water pump problems with the Yaris might be attributable to the pink radiator fluid that is standard.
Point to some of the statements making this proclamation. I don't recall any.

Since the lifespan of pumps has varied so greatly over the life of this forum, I'd day there is definitely no problem with Toyota Pink. Many are still running with their original, myself included. A few have had early failures, and some have done replacements well beyond 100K miles.

It's totally random.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
My bet is that the premature pump failures are far more attributable to the lack of a screw-type belt tension adjustor than they are to anything else.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
My bet is that the premature pump failures are far more attributable to the lack of a screw-type belt tension adjustor than they are to anything else.

MAybe. But I NEVER heard of wp failures in the ECHO and they are the same engine?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
MAybe. But I NEVER heard of wp failures in the ECHO and they are the same engine?
Different belt setup (or at least load) though, with the hydraulic power steering on the Echo. The EPS puts an incredible load on the alternator, which results in a lot more belt tension against the water pump pulley.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Drummer829

Drives: future prius
My uncle who is a mechanic at toyota did say the pink coolant from toyota is not good and does cause some of the waterpump problems.
Drummer829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Please try to post your threads in the correct thread section. It's getting old moving all the stuff from the "general discussion" when this was clearly service. I've moved it to the correct section
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
ya thats why toyotas never last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer829 View Post
My uncle who is a mechanic at toyota did say the pink coolant from toyota is not good and does cause some of the waterpump problems.
i dont beleave that for one second
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
I've read on this forum that the water pump problems with the Yaris might be attributable to the pink radiator fluid that is standard. Can one change out this pink fluid for a different type of fluid that might not be as problematic for the water pumps?
Thanks.
I assume that the 'pink fluid' is Toyo super long life coolant which has a life of ten years. I wonder, does it really last ten years? It may well do in terms of not freezing but I am very doubtful with regard to the anti corrosion inhibitor and the lubricant which is present in all antifreeze. The lubricant plays a vital part in prolonging the life of the sealing gland in the coolant pump. Perhaps if the coolant was changed more frequently, say every three years pumps would last longer. Antifreeze is cheaper than coolant pumps, I suspect that ten year antifreeze is more to do with the anti polution brigade rather than prolonging the life of the coolant pump, and in the case of corrosion inhibitor the cylinder head gasket.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Different belt setup (or at least load) though, with the hydraulic power steering on the Echo. The EPS puts an incredible load on the alternator, which results in a lot more belt tension against the water pump pulley.
Extremely interesting. The steering is definitely different than any of the other cars i've owned.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyracer View Post
i dont beleave that for one second
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
A little off subject but I replaced my belt with a lifetime one from AutoZone. I cant seem to keep it tight very long. I get it tight then a few days later it will scream when I start it cold. Not sure if the belt is stretching or the bolt losening up. Think I will try to put some marks to tell. Have aftermarket belts had problems?
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
A little off subject but I replaced my belt with a lifetime one from AutoZone. I cant seem to keep it tight very long. I get it tight then a few days later it will scream when I start it cold. Not sure if the belt is stretching or the bolt losening up. Think I will try to put some marks to tell. Have aftermarket belts had problems?
I hate it when people derail threads with off-topic questions, but Autozone belts are junk. I made the mistake of using one on Crashy2 when I reinstalled her A/C, and I have had to tighten it three times since the installation.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Thanks CTScott. I've always been a little worried about fetting the belt too tight and burning up the water pump. Mine is still OEM with 155k
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
Eli Lilly

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyracer View Post
the pink stuff is Toyota long life fluid and i doubt its the cause of a water pump failure
Not the fluid itself, but it kinda seems like it won't support the extended change interval. The red had a change interval of something like 30K, the pink brought that up to 100k. My guess is the corrosion additives in the pink aren't lasting quite that long in all situations.

-E
Eli Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote