Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
My Snows

Ok, back from Ohio where there was a snow event this past Thursday. About 6 inches, nothing huge but enough for a test.

Where my gf lives the "association" plows about as well as I split atoms. So I was given a great oppourtunity to try my new General Altimax Arctics.

Slush and crusty snow on top of a good 1-2 inch ice base. These tires were fantastic! Solid.

Driving through the slush and snow I could feel them cutting through the top to the ice layer, and then gripping.

From a standing stop, either at a stop sign or a red light, applied the gas and off we went no slippage at all. At speeds of 50 mph on slushy, snowy, no ice base, roads at no time did I feel "unsafe". At one point I pulled off the road got out the Pelican (My favorite flashlight) and went back to examine the swath they had cut. And cut they did, right to the pavement. Nice tires.

It got to the point where I was racing around the empty side parking lot at Lowes stepping on the brake, jumping on the gas. At no time did I ever feel like my "feet" were not under me.

Ok, so what, they are doing what snow tires are meant to do. Well I paid $ 485 + CT tax. For 4 of these on steel wheels, which when compared to a couple of places around here made the trip down to CT. well worth it.

The best prices I have seen have been $68-$72 per tire. So with wheels $130/ea. mounted (No tpms)

All around, a pretty good snow tire at a very good price.

Shameless Dealer Plug: For those of you in Southern New England, got them from Import Tire Co. in Glastonbury CT. Contact - Robert Bernstein

Last edited by NEexpat; 12-29-2012 at 06:33 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
come on down to the sandy hook charity car show tommorow and show it off :P
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
I have been using these same snow tires for 3 seasons now and also love them. If you live where it snows you MUST get a good set of snow tires......you won't believe how much better your Yaris will handle in the snow & ice.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
enviri, sorry couldn't make it today.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Drives: 2010 Ylw 3dr. AT(Blue-Wife's)
I LOVE My General Altimax Arctics, on Dec 9th I pushed snow with the front bumper for 30 miles!

This is my second winter with them.
When they wear out I will be back, I think I bought mine from TireBuyer.com, I put 14" rims, extra sidewall does wonders for traction too.

Repair List:
1 new blower motor, making funny noise. @ 91K (Water pump @ 120K)
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
BIGTAZ351 is offline   Reply With Quote