Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Melloreel

Drives: 08 3dr LB
08 3dr LB Tires?

I have read way to many post on wheels! Just trying to find new tires, and wheels. Right now it has the factory 15s with steel wheel?
Went to SAMs today, and the tire man said you could only go to 195/55/15
I believe?
I want the largest tire and rim, without worrying about rubbing, scraping, and odometer problems?
The factory tires just look so small? Input from anyone with this tires like these, or thoughts. I looked at tire rack till my eyes bleed!
Melloreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I run 205/50-R16 tires on 16" genuine Toyota TTE wheels (imported from Europe) as my summer tires. The width looks so much better and they don't rub, but they are considerably heavier than my winter tires and wheels (195/55-R15 on Toyota US alloy wheels).
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Melloreel

Hey Scott. Do they not make those wheels for the U.S market? Also the 205s do they affect mpg? Is that why you stated "heavier"?
I thought I would just buy some alloy rims from tire rack, or some other, but the tire size, offset, and the other specks has me rethinking this!
Just wanted to look better, but not lose ride ability.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melloreel View Post
Hey Scott. Do they not make those wheels for the U.S market? Also the 205s do they affect mpg? Is that why you stated "heavier"?
I thought I would just buy some alloy rims from tire rack, or some other, but the tire size, offset, and the other specks has me rethinking this!
Just wanted to look better, but not lose ride ability.
There are plenty of 16s that fit the Yaris, but the ones I have were never brought to the US.

The 205s definitely hurt MPG (I lose about 2-3 when running them and it is more because of the rolling resistance than the weight) and the extra weight definitely affects acceleration.

Your two best bets for buying rims are Micro Image and Fourby100, as both have much experience with the Yaris and can steer you to the right combination of size and offset.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I run 215/45ZR17 Riken Raptor ZR tires on American Eagle 17" MSR Style 138 rims with +42mm of backspacing and have no issues of rubbing. Stock springs and my speedo/odo are in synch with my GPS.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Melloreel

Thanks guys!
I already have a gas guzzling Tundra, which is why I bought the Yaris! So I don't want to do anything that effects mpg, unless it's more.
Think I will get new rims and stock tires
Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Thanks guys!
I already have a gas guzzling Tundra, which is why I bought the Yaris! So I don't want to do anything that effects mpg, unless it's more.
Look into some Mini Cooper wheels and Michelin Defender tires. This setup is working really well for me. New tires were $500. and rims were $100. plus $20. for lugs.

There are lots of styles of Mini rims to choose from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R118 Wheels on Yaris-1.jpg (473.9 KB, 78 views)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Melloreel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Look into some Mini Cooper wheels and Michelin Defender tires. This setup is working really well for me. New tires were $500. and rims were $100. plus $20. for lugs.

There are lots of styles of Mini rims to choose from.
I assume the rims were 100 each? Where can I find these? Dealer?
What size are you running? Wheels, and tires? They look sweet, and just what I'm looking for

Also what type of lights do you have on the fender? They don't look like mine! Much better! Not sure what there called?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
If you're buying Mini wheels from scrapyards, they run about $100 each. If you find someone selling them on ebay/craigslist you might get the whole set for that much. I'm putting my summer tires (DZ101 205/50R15) on some Mini R81 Imola wheels (white) because they're only about 12 lbs and OEM strong. If you want details on size/weight/offset, there's a Mini cooper forum FAQ that lists all the options that came from the factory. The image links are broken, but you can see pictures on car-part.com if you search for mini wheels w/images.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
I assume the rims were 100 each? Where can I find these? Dealer?
What size are you running? Wheels, and tires? They look sweet, and just what I'm looking for

Also what type of lights do you have on the fender? They don't look like mine! Much better! Not sure what there called?
Nope, $100. for the set. Going rate seems to be $80.~$180. for a set.

Tires are stock 185/60/15.

Lights are Hella Marine LED marker lights. I just hated the cheap goofy looking stock ones.

And you'll need special lug nuts. I used these low cost ones off ebay. They turned out to be very nice quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250709773974...84.m1439.l2649
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Thanks guys!
I'm still running stock Hankook tires with Drag DR-16s in 15"x7", stretching the tire out a bit. You might want to look for a 15"x6.5" if staying with stock tires, want stretch them quite so much!

Here is the DR-16 I have....
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=Car%2FMinivan

Here is a good 15"x6.5" Drag wheel.....
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...6.5&vid=017478

racerb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby's New Shoes 001.JPG (346.7 KB, 65 views)
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5

Last edited by racerb; 04-05-2013 at 09:42 PM.
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Tirerack, Discount Tire and the rest are a good place to get ideas from. You want +40 offset, +38 backspacing (i think, this is by far the easiest thing to correct,) and 4 x 100.

When you see something you like, call MI or 4x100. They are both good people that can offer great deals on wheels and tires.

The stock wheels weigh 15 lbs, so go for something lighter than that.

Tirerack does a wonderful job of listing every single wheels weight.
Wheelweights.net is another wonderful source for finding out the weight of hundreds of different wheels.

This Tire size calculator will help you understand tire diameter and ratio and easily let you figure out which wheel and tire packages will keep your speedo and odo in sync, along with what will not rub.

Many Mini, Miata, and Civic wheels will fit our Yaris.

If you are going for drivability and gas mileage, the Kong Heliums are popular.

The biggest question though is your budget. Followed by bling or useability first.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Melloreel

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Tirerack, Discount Tire and the rest are a good place to get ideas from. You want +40 offset, +38 backspacing (i think, this is by far the easiest thing to correct,) and 4 x 100.

When you see something you like, call MI or 4x100. They are both good people that can offer great deals on wheels and tires.

The stock wheels weigh 15 lbs, so go for something lighter than that.

Tirerack does a wonderful job of listing every single wheels weight.
Wheelweights.net is another wonderful source for finding out the weight of hundreds of different wheels.

This Tire size calculator will help you understand tire diameter and ratio and easily let you figure out which wheel and tire packages will keep your speedo and odo in sync, along with what will not rub.

Many Mini, Miata, and Civic wheels will fit our Yaris.

If you are going for drivability and gas mileage, the Kong Heliums are popular.

The biggest question though is your budget. Followed by bling or useability first.
Well thanks why!
That just sounds funny to me the offset, and back spacing has me a little confused? But perhaps a little research will help!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
Foot

Drives: 2010 3dr yaris
I am thinking about trying to get some R81 mini cooper rims since they are 15in and 5.5 width like the steels. My problem is I just bought some tires and they run 5.5 to 6.5 for the rim size. So most 15's are about 7width, which I assume would be a big stretch for the tires. New rims run 182 dollars each which at the moment seems expensive.
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Stock 185's will fit rim width 4.5"-7.0" without any issues whatsoever.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote