Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
uber ally

Drives: 2002 Echo, 2012 Yaris
2012 Yaris headrests

Just picked up a 2012 Yaris. Only thing I don't like are the front headrests. Does anybody know of any other car that I can swap out the front headrests for?

Thanks.
uber ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber ally View Post
Just picked up a 2012 Yaris. Only thing I don't like are the front headrests. Does anybody know of any other car that I can swap out the front headrests for?

Thanks.
What is the distance center to center of the two headrest mounting holes? I have a feeling that it will be the same as the 2nd gen Yaris, which is 5-7/8".
Old 01-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
uber ally

Not sure, I have to check. I just figured someone else swapped them out because they're so high. I wouldn't mind swapping them out for 'donut style' headrests from other cars such as the vw beetle.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Not sure, I have to check. I just figured someone else swapped them out because they're so high. I wouldn't mind swapping them out for 'donut style' headrests from other cars such as the vw beetle.
The high one behind you...probably wouldn't matter to you.

The passenger side...you could just take out, unless you frequently have riders there. Easier than spending days searching for a swap that fits.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
uber ally

Well, I have someone measuring one from a beetle, if the post distances are the same or close, I may just give it a go and hack it a bit. 30$ to try
Old 01-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Flip them backwards.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I took mine out of my Yaris soon after I bought it (along with the optional armrest), and put all of that away in a box. My cousin is the only person who has ever said anything to me about the missing headrests. She doesn't want her daughter riding in a car without one, so whenever I drive my little cousin anywhere I reinstall one headrest.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
uber ally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
Flip them backwards.
It's the height the bothers me, not that it pushes forward. Used to having cars with headrest mid-back of my head as opposed to the top.
Backing up, I'm so used to just glancing over my shoulder, now the yaris headrest blocks it and I have actually look around it.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I took mine out of my Yaris soon after I bought it (along with the optional armrest), and put all of that away in a box. My cousin is the only person who has ever said anything to me about the missing headrests. She doesn't want her daughter riding in a car without one, so whenever I drive my little cousin anywhere I reinstall one headrest.
Yeppers - Take them all out (except the drivers one of course..) Leave one in the car in case of a passenger. That's what I do, pop the other back in the passenger front seat when I'm tooling around with the ole ball-and-chain

I never have more than 1 passenger so the back seat head rests are in a box in the basement with the original floor mats - the visibility without the 3 head rests is ASTOUNDING! Like night & day

NEVER let a taller (adult) passenger ride without one, with all the safety stuff on this car, all you'd need to get is whiplash from no headrest

Thank You My Work Is Done Here
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
Yeppers - Take them all out (except the drivers one of course..) Leave one in the car in case of a passenger. That's what I do, pop the other back in the passenger front seat when I'm tooling around with the ole ball-and-chain

I never have more than 1 passenger so the back seat head rests are in a box in the basement with the original floor mats - the visibility without the 3 head rests is ASTOUNDING! Like night & day

NEVER let a taller (adult) passenger ride without one, with all the safety stuff on this car, all you'd need to get is whiplash from no headrest

Thank You My Work Is Done Here
To each his own. Perhaps it is hubris, but I have a very high confidence level re not getting in an accident. Also, that is one reason why insurance exists (I have very high liability limits). If any other passenger or person responsible for a passenger (in addition to my cousin) ever requested that I install another headrest, I would.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
The passenger's headrest fits well under one of the front seats.

It'll also fit in with the spare tire; in the center. I'd recommend wrapping it in a plastic trash bag if you go that route.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
I was rear ended in my Aspire. The seats had built in head rests, but really didn't come to the back of my head. When I was hit, my head snapped back rather violently extending over the top of the seat. I had a head ache and sore neck that lasted several weeks. I was in pain and it sucked pretty bad, but no major injuries. I really like the height of the head rests in the Yaris. The seem like they are high enough to prevent what I went through before and I would recommend keeping them in place.

In my case, I was rear ended by someone who thought I wasn't proceeding through an intersection fast enough. He decided to help me along my way. He was driving a mini van full of kids. His drivers license turned out to be fake. The plates on the van were stolen. He had no insurance card. The cops never arrived to the accident scene.

In a time and day where people are irresponsible, negligent and just plain a--holes, I choose to utilize whatever safety devices can. In this case, I feel head rests are quite important.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
To each his own. Perhaps it is hubris, but I have a very high confidence level re not getting in an accident. Also, that is one reason why insurance exists (I have very high liability limits). If any other passenger or person responsible for a passenger (in addition to my cousin) ever requested that I install another headrest, I would.
Do you use a headrest nook?
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
Do you use a headrest nook?
No. The box that my headrests are in is in storage in California. I'm heading out to California in about 3-4 weeks and will be going through some of the stuff I have in storage. If I get to the box, I'll probably take the two front headrests out of storage. I'll put one on the driver's seat and the other one under the package shelf. Some of the stuff I used to keep on the back seat of my Yaris and under the package shelf I now have better organized on shelves in my pantry closet. I now keep things I think I'm likely to forget under the package shelf behind the backseat or under the passenger seat. I am no longer reaching into the backseat all the time (new organizing = better body mechanics). I wasn't using a headrest (old way of organizing) because I didn't like how having the headrest impeded taking things out of the back seat when I was standing outside the car or kneeling on the driver's seat. When I do get the headrests out of storage, it will be interesting to see how much the rest of my interior has faded in comparison.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #15
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Flip them backwards.
YES

Someone on a truck forum suggested that, so I also did it on the Yaris.

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:31 AM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

Thanks.
Does the Canadian Yaris have different headrests? I just had a 3rd Gen (2013) Yaris rental (courtesy of the other driver's insurance company ) and I thought the seatback/headrest combo was one of the best things about the car.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Flip them backwards.
I remembered this post while at the Houston Auto Show. Zero Yari, but they did have 1 or more examples of the Prius c. I removed the front passenger headrest, flipped it around, and 're-mounted' the headrest. It fit. However the bachwards mount kept the headrest from locking in place (could easily slide/fly out on impact) . Tooter, do your backwards mounted headrests lock?

Tags
headrests