Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #469
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
The metra harness will connect to the adapter for the OEM radio. The other end of the metra harness will connect to the adapter for your new radio. You just have to crimp the wires from your new radio to the metra harness adapter - you will not need to cut/crimp anything from your OEM radio. The wires you listed below are color coated to match your new HU (most likely the same colors). Make sure you have a wire cutter, crimp tool, and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Ok, so I picked up one of the TomTom Eclipse units that were a factory option in Euro models, ordered the Metra kit to hid the gaps on the side, now I'm browsing through endless pages and pages of wiring harnesses. Rather than cutting off the plugs on the car side to splice wires to the head unit, I'd like to splice the wire the head unit and just plug it into the car. There's 18 cables coming from the head unit. Speakers, power, ground, permanent power, speed (suspecting this is only for increasing the volume for when the car gets loud at speed, probably not used for navigation/dead reckoning), head lights, dimmer, and sub (not needed at this point).

I'd like to wire the harness adapter to the head unit, and just plug it into the car. Which harness adapter do I pick?

(First time for me to install a complex unit like this into a car that's relatively new and nice looking, hence the stupid questions ;) )

PS: it's the Metra 70-1761 aka Scosche TA02B.

Yellow – 12V Constant
Red – 12V Accessory
Black - Ground
Blue - Power Antenna
Orange – Dash Light Dimmer/Illumination
Green – Left Rear Speaker (+)
Green with Black Stripe Left Rear Speaker (-)
White – Left Front Speaker (+)
White with Black Stripe – Left Front Speaker (-)
Purple – Right Rear Speaker (+)
Purple with Black Stripe – Right Rear Speaker (-)
Gray – Right Front Speaker (+)
Gray with Black Stripe – Right Front Speaker (-)

Last edited by MyzticZ3r0; 01-19-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #470
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Yeah, I figured that out and was posting it as a PS to share. I hate it when people ask a question and then add on "never mind, I figured out the answer" without telling what the answer was ;)
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #471
Kar98

And also, I said screw it, and ordered the iPod connector, too. So now I'll have to wait another week to install this thing.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #472
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
And also, I said screw it, and ordered the iPod connector, too. So now I'll have to wait another week to install this thing.
I was looking into getting one as well, but the ones I saw for my HU had poor reviews.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #473
nlook1
I've made a post!

Drives: 08' Yaris Sedan
Is the original Head Unit discussed in this thread still available for purchase? If so, where? I'm having trouble finding it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
nlook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #474
mf4361

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlook1 View Post
Is the original Head Unit discussed in this thread still available for purchase? If so, where? I'm having trouble finding it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
I"m not sure about the one discussed originally, but I've just installed another ebay stereo and it worked well so far.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-2-Toyota-C...84ae80&vxp=mtr
mf4361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #475
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Has anyone upgraded from this unit? After all this time. This unit has been out for a few years now, so it seems like someone would have come up with a better unit that runs windows CE 8 or something by now. There are a few things I would like to see in an upgrade unit:

1. Better visibility in direct sunlight

2. Better overall bluetooth quality. Better sound pickup and mic quality, along with better overall output to the person on the other end who's listening.

3. A slightly faster unit. This one is quick, but I wouldn't call it fast. When you change screens and such. Not really much of a complaint here, but if we're talking upgrades, might as well go all out. So this would be hardware upgrades, like a faster CPU and more RAM.

4. Better volume controls might be helpful. There tends to be a disparity between radio volume and bluetooth volume.

5. Let the upgrade unit be running windows 7 CE or even Windows 8 CE. Upgraded operating system.

Anything else? Has anyone upgraded yet?
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 AM   #476
sydthebeat
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 09 Sedan Base
Question Buying/Installing an In-dash Navigation System and Backup Camera

Hi Guys,

I own a 2009 Yaris Sedan Base. I was wondering where can I order online an in-dash Navigation System and a compatible backup camera? Also, would the dealer install the parts that I bought or I have to do it myself? Finally, how much would it cost me to buy every thing from the dealer and have the dealer do the installation? I live in Ontario Canada, a ballpark figure would do.

Thanks,
sydthebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #477
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
I owned the 2007 Yaris Seden, upgraded my in-dash entertainment system with a Sony XB64 for $299 (no GPS, but a similar model can be had for $600?) $50 for parts and did the installation myself. The backup camera from ebay for $20 and compatible with the head unit.

So I'm guessing $700 total? would be cheaper if you can get the head unit on sale
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #478
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
I bought a radio Innovatek.. not the best quality in car radio but I have b/t gps, movie player rear view camera... cost was 110$ on a special, camera was 18$ and I bought 2 headrest with 11"screen in it for 100$ add. did the install myself ( and I am freaking far to be an expert!!) and it took me max 2hrs to hide every cables, install the deck, headrest and everything.
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #479
268i

Drives: 06' Yaris 1.3l
Hi there,

I've purchased a similar unit but have problems installing the unit. (I've installed a single din headunit into my yaris before).

The problem I have is that on the factory mounting brackets the came with the yaris there are "dimples" on the mount which were used to hold onto the factory unit.. However the Headunit I have purchased does not have those holes..,
So what's happened now is when I screw the bracket on, those "dimples" are causing the bracket to not sit flush and instead stick out a bit and now I am unable to install this headunit.. Can anyone help?
268i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #480
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Well the bluetooth died on this unit. The unit that the thread is talking about that everyone bought. Anyone else have this problem?

It has ceased to function entirely. And of course, no indication on the screen of what may have gone wrong. Tried several different phones, so its not the phone.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #481
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondrouge View Post
See pictures below:
The system that l'm looking for

My actual radio setup.

Other Yaris radio trim.

Do you thing it will fit in my Yaris?

Thank you in advance!
Images are in a secure https site. Not showing.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #482
lemondrouge

Drives: Yaris hachback 2011
2 Din new navigation radio system

Hello All,

Sorry for my previous post where the picture were not public :-(

I'm looking to change the factory radio of my 2011 Yaris Hatchback 4 doors (Canadian model) for a new navigation radio system. l'm worry if it will fit whit my current radio trim. See images below.

The new navigation system that I'm looking for:

My actual radio see trim detail:

Other Yaris radio model (sedan or newer?) trim where radio side button goes under the trim.

What do you thing?
Thank you in advance!
lemondrouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #483
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
Judging from the pics I would say that model is not going to fit in a hatchback yaris.
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #484
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I disagree. Looks like it may fit fine as it replaces not just the stereo but also replaces some of the plastic surrounding. The other yaris is a European version and I'm sure if needed you can order the trim and it snaps in.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #485
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
I want this eBay Android Unit but wondered if anyone had any experience with these kinds of things? Was going to go the Nexus 7 route again but figured if these are already all set up and better... and I would really like a back up camera.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #486
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I disagree. Looks like it may fit fine as it replaces not just the stereo but also replaces some of the plastic surrounding. The other yaris is a European version and I'm sure if needed you can order the trim and it snaps in.
I disagree with your disagreement.

See CTScott's comparison pic:

Above, regular double DIN sized radio and surround bezel, below, the kinda double DIN sized looking factory radio.

I still haven't figured out in which market the silver "integrated" head unit was sold. Has to be Europe, because manual with tach, and electronic A/C controls.