Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #1
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Aftermarket Stereo / Speaker Specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Rms output of the stock head unit will be rather similar, maybe a little less, but not that you wouldn't drive any speakers that a standard 22w RMS per channel aftermarket HU could handle. Of course sound quality comes with the price tag.

I've looked up the specs of the Kenwood one, as I'm most familiar with Kenwood receivers than any other brand and it's a decent unit, plus has 3 preamp output (front, rear and sub), at 4v. I wouldn't say it's a high audio quality unit (the Kenwood Excelon lineup is where they improve the sound quality), but you would definitively be able to drive speakers to a decent level with a decent band level adjustment and pre-amp output that are at least not bare minimum potential (the more volt, the less signal loss and the less prone to interference, for example my Kenwood Excelon has 6v preamp output whereas basic HU would often feature 2-4v). Another difference is audio file format compatibility. If you like to play your music off an USB flash drive (like I do) in order to have the least audio loss possible and huge library, then the basic units might not be up to the task as they will only read a handful of difference audio format, so unless all your files are MP3, you may not be able to get them to play. On my Excelon unit, I can read almost every format available, including all the compression free/lossless format and enjoy a much better sound than a compressed file format such as MP3 files. On a standard Kenwood receiver, only 30 out of my 300 files could be read. You'll then have to play those files from a Bluetooth device instead (such as your smartphone), and loose quality along the way.

To decide if it's a good deal, you should check how much the units are selling for elsewhere and what people say about them. Some units have very poor performance despite being a name brand.

You won't need the full dash kit, only the mounting brackets and harness adaptor, which can both be purchased separately on Amazon.

Best deal are often had from Crutchfield.com, as they throw in everything you need in the deal when you buy a HU and include installation sheets, great tech support and warranty.

I need the 2 din dash kit because I have the stock HU, that's it's build in into the frame.

So even if I spend this amount of money, I won't have a big difference. I am so confused.
Weeyari said about a new HU because it could give me better sound quality.

I don't want professional lvl music. I want a descent depth and bass. That's what I am all about.
After reading reviews I think from these 3 pioneer is the best solution.
For the money it's a good deal. But I am just wanna know if there is any difference.

A friend of mine has a vw polo 2012. His sound system is all stock. But you can't believe the sound quality that he has. Really good bass. Really clear sound.
I just want to have this too. Descent bass. Descent highs.
Right know all I have is highs no matter how I change the HU setttings. It's driving me crazy
I want to invest some money to make my sound quality better. Especially the bass.
If I am gonna give 200€ for a HU and have barely any difference + loosing the steering wheel buttons I don't see any reason to do it.

(In picture is my HU. Under it, I have the pioneer I want to replace it with)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by miiser; 06-01-2017 at 07:17 AM.
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
Now that's a stock setup the bulk of us are not familiar with. I can see why you are looking at HU packages that include the dash surround.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Aftermarket Stereo / Speaker Specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Now that's a stock setup the bulk of us are not familiar with. I can see why you are looking at HU packages that include the dash surround.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk

Yes it's the eu model so it comes with this HU as standard. That's why I need the surround plastics

Weeyari what's your opinion on what u said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by miiser; 06-01-2017 at 10:43 AM.
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote