Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 AM   #19
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueYaris View Post
foam/fabric air filters? is there any other kind?
yes...good ol fashioned paper. some foam filters are ok, most are not though because while they offer excellent air flow the material isnt as dense so more particles get through. most mechanics i have talked to and myself are in agreement that while you will notice improved hp and sound with such an air filter, it can be harmfull to your engine.

like i said, drive 10k miles and pull the intake off. if the butterfly on the trottlebody has grime on it switch air filters.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
yes...good ol fashioned paper. some foam filters are ok, most are not though because while they offer excellent air flow the material isnt as dense so more particles get through. most mechanics i have talked to and myself are in agreement that while you will notice improved hp and sound with such an air filter, it can be harmfull to your engine.

like i said, drive 10k miles and pull the intake off. if the butterfly on the trottlebody has grime on it switch air filters.

most of that grime is for other reasons. having a paper filter won't stop carbon build-up on the throttle body. almost all the technician's i know run k&n type filters and i have put over 90k on a vehicle without an issue. you do know how small the amount of particles are correct? (i have even seen foam filters implode pc by pc into the motor)for that 10k most of the grime caused is by the oil from the filter sitting on the butterfly...but you could easily run a dryflow.

Last edited by Toyotech; 06-05-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:40 AM   #21
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
alot of foam/fabric air filters DO allow dust and grime into the engine...pull your intake off and look at the throttlebody after 10k miles...
I think there is a liquid that cleans it up.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #22
DHS BOY

Drives: Yaris/Vitz 3dr HB 5spd manuel
AEM (blue) intake

okay, i got this yaris/vitz 2007 2dr 5spd manuel,,,i just put a AEM coldintake and all i can say "OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!MY VITZ GOTS VOOM!!!"

I GIVE THIS ITEM A THUMBS UP

www.2nrparts.com ,found them on ebay

bought it for 239.00 and thats with shipping allready added!!!

power,shifting and feel is better. you can tell the engine is breathing better!

one mistake on instructions "just undo bolts to mud guard, peel back to put filter off, DON'T CUT IT OUT" IM A MORON,,now i got to get a mud guard duh!!or jerry rig it
DHS BOY is offline   Reply With Quote