Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitect View Post
If you don't want to read about stuff like this you should not open threads titled "30,000 mile service, this should get you going".

Also it's not fraud, as long as they do what they claim they will.
Your definition of fraud is completely wrong!

Even if they do a service that they claim is required, if the service is not needed, THAT IS FRAUD!

Obviosly in order to get a customer to okay a service that is not required, lying is required, so therefore, it is in fact fraud.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #20
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I personally agree its a fraud. But call it what you want, its poor customer service, and lowers my view of toyota(yes I know, dealerships are bad across the board)

You would think they'd rather make another 4-6000 on financing another car than a couple hundred to a thousand for unnecessary maintenance. I think the next toyota I buy I'll use an outside finance company and let the dealerships know they lost my financing business due to their shady business practices...
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Sorry your YW experience hasn't been what you expected, but the OP couldn't care less about that.

You make a valid point, but it would be so much nicer if you could just say what you need to say without the negative tone, eh?

All questions are welcome. Not everybody is an expert at everything, and if people need help and want to ask the community, that's what forums are for! Be nice!
I Agree a nice tone would be welcome, but come ON. I agree with FM69, Read the owners manual! Since when is any forum the be-all end all? I see more misinformation than good information. Cyber -age silliness. Idiocracy - It's here!
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #22
minicorolla

Drives: 2008 Sedan White
Does anyone want to see pics of my steelies with studded tires, painted flat black with a red strip? OK, I talked with a mechanic today & he said "sounds like they're trying to take you to the cleaners"
minicorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #23
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
^ Sure, post them up in the wheel sections or in the photo section.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #24
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
I Agree a nice tone would be welcome, but come ON. I agree with FM69, Read the owners manual! Since when is any forum the be-all end all? I see more misinformation than good information. Cyber -age silliness. Idiocracy - It's here!
I hear ya.
Like I said, I don't disagree with the message, just the tone.

Nice avatar BTW, silky smooth, I get it
Old 11-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #25
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
could this be equated to how service shops offer you different grades of service (i.e. silver, gold or platinum?) or how people go from oils dino semi syn and full syn?
or how you get your fast food meals regular medium or large (i.e. supersize)

I think this is all relevant to my point: choice.

you have a choice to read this thread and respond or read it and move on, or not read it at all.

you also have the choice at a dealership to say 'yes' or 'no' to a service. you don't even need to go in if you don't want to.

bottom line is this: You chose to go to the dealership for a 30k service, they told you what THEY CHOOSE TO CALL A 'plan d'. You said no, they performed what you wanted , an oil change and a check of your other pertinent capacities.

end of story. they choose to offer what they want based on what you might be willing to pay for them to do.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #26
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
I learned the hard way, never to trust the dealership.

I was charged around 430 or 530 the last time I had a scheduled service.

I wish I had the print out, because I dont know what they did for that price. And I cant believe I paid it all.

Then now I realize Im fully capable of doing this all myself, and I for one will NEVER go back to a stealership in my life.

Buy the car, and maintain it yourself, especially when its out of factory warentee.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #27
minicorolla

Drives: 2008 Sedan White
I asked them to do the service as per the book. Without the tire rotation it costs me 19.95! Just delclined all the extra stuff. They didn't even bat an eye.
The plan D is what they wanted to do.
minicorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #28
Yaris_Fan

Drives: Liftback Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
I work at a dealer and trust me, if you can DIY your maintenance do it. Lube up the joints, replace your air filter, change your oil, and whatever else the toyota yaris book tells you. Flushes are BS and even most service people don't believe in them.
There's joints to lube?

I thought everything was sealed
Yaris_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:37 AM   #29
advocate

Drives: car
Took mine in to my mechanic for the 30,000K. He has the Toyota book on what to perform and at what intervals. He said 30,000K was just a standard oil change and a bunch of "checks". Check this fluid check that fluid etc. I drive my car pretty hard so I told him to knock himself out and check all the fluids. Didn't end up paying much extra for the checks since the Yaris passed with flying colors and I got to go home knowing the car was in top notch and that since it wasn't showing signs of wear yet that it obviously needs to be driven harder
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #30
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
The old school is slipping away. To actually open a book and do your own research is becoming a thing of the past.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #31
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I hear ya.
Like I said, I don't disagree with the message, just the tone.

Nice avatar BTW, silky smooth, I get it
Actually my 1st avitar was actress Emmanuelle Chriqui

from 'you dont mess with the ZOHAN' as is thesilkysmooth hair creme' application reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emmanuella chriqui.jpg (14.4 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 12-03-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: clarify
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #32
noraebong

Drives: 207 yaris sedan
Flushes are BS: agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
I work at a dealer and trust me, if you can DIY your maintenance do it. Lube up the joints, replace your air filter, change your oil, and whatever else the toyota yaris book tells you. Flushes are BS and even most service people don't believe in them.
I was a little late on an oil change (1000kms)..I know..I know..change the oil on schedule....anyway I paid for it. Mechanic recommended a flush that put another 69.99 onto my bill. (The vehicle only had 25,000 ks at that point.)

Although never having owned a vehicle before and not knowing much about cars or dealer upsales, I decided that I should be a responsible, knowledgeable car owner ...dealers are no different from any other possessors of specialized services and info who will take advantage of ignorance...it's my duty as a consumer to be informed. Which is why I am here. To learn, and to share more as my experience grows.

I got taken by the flush. But when I had my 32 k service done a couple of days ago, I was able to "succesfully" reduce the bill from 488 to 244. I did not authorize the wheel alignment and brake job that the "adviser" automatically added to my service. I did get dinged with a 47.50 surcharge for asking for synthetic oil... and I was charged 17.00 labour for replacing wiper blades...however, you live and learn.

And if the naievty/inexperience of people such as myself angers some people, excuse me but the learning curve has to start somewhere. I am very glad for all the people who willingly and graciously share their experiences and information on this forum....the info that I have been able to get from this site has been a tremendous help and boon.

Thanks again for the info
noraebong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #33
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
The dealer CAN provide quality service, particularily warranty work. But taking your car to them with a ambiguous complaint( it squeeks when I do this, etc) or letting them refer to the service you get as a precious metal is a sure way to get hosed!
"Would you like the platinum berryium, or uranium service"?
Uh, I just want the car serviced not some armor piercing metal job or something that sounds like an overnight abortion. Smoke and mirrors plain and simple. They pull that crap on 20 something women and recent divorcees who take the car to the dealer for the first time. Dont bite.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #34
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
r letting them refer to the service you get as a precious metal is a sure way to get hosed!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #35
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
When I refused the "dealer recommended" $230.00 30,000 mile service at Fletcher Jones toyota in Las Vegas, they took the air out of my front tire, and cut the wire to the stop light switch, disabling my rear brake lights. Bastards.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #36
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
When I refused the "dealer recommended" $230.00 30,000 mile service at Fletcher Jones toyota in Las Vegas, they took the air out of my front tire, and cut the wire to the stop light switch, disabling my rear brake lights. Bastards.
Uhhhh I have strong doubts about this... Any crazy ex girlfriends not mentioned?? I seriously doubt a service manager is willing to sacrifice his business over 200 dollars.