Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #19
LaurenBear
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback Automatic
Miles per tank of gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
Ok, fellow Yaris owners, I will have had my Flint Mica 2009 Yaris Sedan with automatic transmission for one year come Tuesday, April 13th.

I have kept a log book of every single drop of gas that I have put in the car since I bought it. The dealer filled it up for me the day I took delivery, and I have kept track of every fill-up since then. I use Gassavers.org to record my fill-ups, but I have also kept an Excel spreadsheet at home.

My overall average MPG for the first year is 36.73.

Apparently Gassavers drops the earlier tanks and only shows the average for the recent tanks, because it is showing that I am averaging only 33.19 MPG. My mileage dropped off pretty severely during the winter months. The 36.73 is the true average for the whole first year of ownership. The range has been from 29.49 MPG to 43.55 MPG. The average price per gallon that I paid for the period was $2.505.

Tom
Best research ever!

Do you happen to have a log of, on average, how many miles you were able to drive on a tank of gas?

I don't like getting gas every 300 miles, but I dislike running out of gas even less!
LaurenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #20
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBear View Post
Best research ever!

Do you happen to have a log of, on average, how many miles you were able to drive on a tank of gas?

I don't like getting gas every 300 miles, but I dislike running out of gas even less!
That all depends on YOUR individual mileage. figuring you've got an 11.1 gallon tank and you average 37mpg, thats 375 miles with 1 gallon left to sweat it out to the gas station,LOL lower or higher average of course' will vary how far you can go. Myself, I fill up around 350 miles. depends on gas prices too, if I see them going up I may fill sooner or whatever the trend is at the moment. 300 miles is good though and gives you some buffer room so if thats comfortable for you stick with it. I've heard that with so many cars having the fuel pump inside the tank that the gas actually cools the pump and running it so empty all the time can shorten the life of the pump. Not sure of the validity of that....just something I was told.
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #21
Membrainophones

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5dr/Liftback
Send a message via ICQ to Membrainophones Send a message via AIM to Membrainophones Send a message via Yahoo to Membrainophones
i squeezed out 430 miles on a tank of gas in my 2010 yaris didnt dare keep going for fear of running out of gas and being late to work but i usually gas up around 330 miles
Membrainophones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #22
Membrainophones

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5dr/Liftback
Send a message via ICQ to Membrainophones Send a message via AIM to Membrainophones Send a message via Yahoo to Membrainophones
i also topped off when i got 430 mile though and tank held 11.8 gallons
Membrainophones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #23
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBear View Post
Best research ever!

Lauren:

Almost all of my miles are my commute to work and back, and I fill up once a week. I always have close to three gallons left in the tank at the time I fill up, so I am obviously not trying to get every possible mile out of a tank of gas.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #24
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Tom, has it been a year already? Well, I'm glad you still like the car. I remember when you bought your Yaris.

How about your son, does he still like his car ?

I don't really keep track of my mileage anymore, but I estimate it is in the low to mid 30's (90% city driving, stop and go, traffic), so is still pretty good. Like you, I'm not willing to go to extreme driving techniques to save gas. I save gas by taking public transportation often.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #25
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Ok, fellow Yaris owners, I will have had my Flint Mica 2009 Yaris Sedan with automatic transmission for one year come Tuesday, April 13th.

I have kept a log book of every single drop of gas that I have put in the car since I bought it. The dealer filled it up for me the day I took delivery, and I have kept track of every fill-up since then. I use Gassavers.org to record my fill-ups, but I have also kept an Excel spreadsheet at home.

My overall average MPG for the first year is 36.73.

Apparently Gassavers drops the earlier tanks and only shows the average for the recent tanks, because it is showing that I am averaging only 33.19 MPG. My mileage dropped off pretty severely during the winter months. The 36.73 is the true average for the whole first year of ownership. The range has been from 29.49 MPG to 43.55 MPG. The average price per gallon that I paid for the period was $2.505.

Tom
Hi Tom...

Very nice! I have only had my Liftback for less than 5 months. I keep a written log as well as a Excel Spreadsheet for my gas mileage. I need to try out Gassavers.org. I'll try to post my gas mileage average in 6 months and a year.

At first I was dissapointed with my vehicle's FE. But, after reading useful info from this forum and changing my driving habits... I am very pleased with what the Yaris can do...

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #26
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Tom, has it been a year already? Well, I'm glad you still like the car. I remember when you bought your Yaris.

How about your son, does he still like his car ?

I don't really keep track of my mileage anymore, but I estimate it is in the low to mid 30's (90% city driving, stop and go, traffic), so is still pretty good. Like you, I'm not willing to go to extreme driving techniques to save gas. I save gas by taking public transportation often.
Hi, Mater! Yep, it's been a year. Well, it has been almost 13 months now.

My son and I both like our cars, but I am getting the "itch" again.

I sure do like the 2010 Corolla S, and they are giving 0% interest for 60 months on them now. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Tom
Old 05-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #27
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Hi Tom...

Very nice! I have only had my Liftback for less than 5 months. I keep a written log as well as a Excel Spreadsheet for my gas mileage. I need to try out Gassavers.org. I'll try to post my gas mileage average in 6 months and a year.

At first I was dissapointed with my vehicle's FE. But, after reading useful info from this forum and changing my driving habits... I am very pleased with what the Yaris can do...

Hi, Mark. Glad you are now happy with your Yaris. I wish you the best of luck with it.

Tom
Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #28
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
It is nice to see your average numbers are some what close to mine. I'll never be able to match what other mpg posts state.
I am in the same boat as you. I average around 36 MPG. Of course I have an automatic and use my cruise control quite a bit.

Some of the claims made on this website are plausible, but after driving my Yaris for over a year, I seem to find them unrealistic for real world conditions.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #29
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Some of the claims made on this website are plausible, but after driving my Yaris for over a year, I seem to find them unrealistic for real world conditions.
I know what you are saying, Dave. But, I would have to disagree on being unrealistic for real world conditions.

My first two tanks (1/8/10 and 1/26/10), I got 28 and 34 MPG

My last three tanks:

4/05/10 472mi/09.972gal = 47.332
4/13/10 504mi/10.253gal = 49.156
5/03/10 469mi/10.299gal = 45.538

And right now the 4th Bar shut off this morning @ 285mi... I could be close to a 500 mile tank when all is done.

I tend to drive in many conditions (Winter, Spring, Highway, State Road, City, mountain, valley, etc.), and very very light on the gas... cautious with my driving technique all the time. I wouldn't say I'm extreme yet? No hypermiling, scanguaging or major physical car adjustments. But, lots of gliding, slow starts, slow driving, and Ethanol free gas...

Heck, I drive slower than grandma's grandma! Wait! They were still riding in horse and buggy... LOL!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #30
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Hi, Mater! Yep, it's been a year. Well, it has been almost 13 months now.

My son and I both like our cars, but I am getting the "itch" again.

I sure do like the 2010 Corolla S, and they are giving 0% interest for 60 months on them now. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Tom
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! not again!!!

Whoever gets to buy your current car is going to be one happy camper, though. I'm sure you've kept her totally spotless all that time.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #31
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I know what you are saying, Dave. But, I would have to disagree on being unrealistic for real world conditions.

My first two tanks (1/8/10 and 1/26/10), I got 28 and 34 MPG

My last three tanks:

4/05/10 472mi/09.972gal = 47.332
4/13/10 504mi/10.253gal = 49.156
5/03/10 469mi/10.299gal = 45.538

And right now the 4th Bar shut off this morning @ 285mi... I could be close to a 500 mile tank when all is done.

I tend to drive in many conditions (Winter, Spring, Highway, State Road, City, mountain, valley, etc.), and very very light on the gas... cautious with my driving technique all the time. I wouldn't say I'm extreme yet? No hypermiling, scanguaging or major physical car adjustments. But, lots of gliding, slow starts, slow driving, and Ethanol free gas...

Heck, I drive slower than grandma's grandma! Wait! They were still riding in horse and buggy... LOL!
ethanol free gas, lucky!!! that would make anyone get much better gas mileage.

i get about 38 mpg roughly. I stopped keeping track of it a long time ago, I am just too lazy, i just do the quick gas station math.

the longest i've been able to go on one tank of fuel was 444 miles. Then the car stalled. Don't do it, this tank scavenges the heck out of everything, so when it says the tank is empty, it really means it.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #32
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
ethanol free gas, lucky!!! that would make anyone get much better gas mileage.

i get about 38 mpg roughly. I stopped keeping track of it a long time ago, I am just too lazy, i just do the quick gas station math.
Yup! Until it's still around? Three gas stations left in my area.

I'm starting to keep track on GasSavers.org, intead of writing and the Excel sheet. Now I have to figure how to place GasSavers.org on my Yaris World Signature???

Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #33
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Mark, I would tell you, my friend, but it has been so long since I did mine that I don't remember how.

Tom

OK, I THINK I know how to do this.

You go to Gassavers.org and get signed up. Go to the "Garage" tab, and down toward the bottom of the page that comes up you will see a window with a link in it, and above that window it says "copy and paste this text to other forums... "
Old 05-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #34
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! not again!!!

Whoever gets to buy your current car is going to be one happy camper, though. I'm sure you've kept her totally spotless all that time.
You got it, Mater! She's lookin' good. I do take care of my vehicles, even if I don't keep them very long. They get all their scheduled maintenance as if I were going to drive them until they had 400,000 miles on them. I try to keep them spotless inside and out.

Tom
Old 05-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #35
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Mark, I would tell you, my friend, but it has been so long since I did mine that I don't remember how.

Tom

OK, I THINK I know how to do this.

You go to Gassavers.org and get signed up. Go to the "Garage" tab, and down toward the bottom of the page that comes up you will see a window with a link in it, and above that window it says "copy and paste this text to other forums... "
Thanks Tom... Done!

Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #36
pelesl

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
When traveled from Colorado to Maryland last year to visit family, I averaged 36 MPG doing about 70 to 85 the whole way with intermittent AC and variously strong headwinds.

When they asked what sort of MPG's I got I told them 36 and they said "That's all!?" They were shocked such a small car didn't get better mileage, but I'm happy with it considering the conditions of the drive and the fact that my Jeep would have had me at about 15mpg for the same run. Plus the Yaris is just fun as all heck to drive especially on the twisty mountain roads around here.
I think cars like the Yaris have good strength in city mileage. No matter what you do, driving a solid bubble through air at high speed will suck gas. That's why there's little difference between the rated city and highway mileage.

I have a 2000 BMW 323 coupe (2.5 6 cylinder, 5 speed manual) and I got 37 mpg driving from LA to Vegas (which takes crossing some lowish mountains) and 34 for the two-way trip. But when I used to drive only in the city it would average 18 to 22.
pelesl is offline   Reply With Quote