Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
My local dealers have almost no 2013 Yaris's for sale.

Does anyone know why that is?
Remember your thread about going to the dealer in Mt. Laurel? I remember you mentioning that the Yari they had all had lots of equipment on them. This intrigued me, and I had a hunch that I felt was borne out at the time, but I don't know if it is still the case as I haven't looked at the Yaris inventory for my area since sometime during the 2012 model year. My thought, right after you started that thread, was that the reason the dealer you visited might have only heavily equipped Yari was that the total inventory of that dealership was probably pretty small, so that they needed to make more profit per car than a 'stripped' Yaris would allow to achieve the desired new car 'slice' of their profit.

After reading (at the time you wrote it) your start to that thread, I began looking at the new car inventory on the websites of all the dealers within a 30 mile radius (or it might have been 50 miles or so) and the total inventory of each was pretty low. The dealer in Mt. Laurel was at 200 something and some of the dealerships has an even lower inventory than that. I only found one dealer that had a new car inventory of over 1,000 (but still under 1100), and that was in the Center City part of Philadelphia.

I then looked at the new car inventory (online) of my two closest dealerships (which had a fair number of Yari and most of those weren't loaded with options). The closest dealer to me (over in the next county but still a bit closer than the one in my county) is Fred Haas Toyota World (the #1 Tundra dealer in the world) and at the time they had almost 3500 new vehicles. I then looked at the second closest dealer, Gullo Toyota, and at the time they had about 2500 new vehicles.

Around the same time (if I remember correctly) there was another thread about how hard it was to find 5 speed Yari. I looked at all of the Toyota dealers North of I-10 in the Houston metro and even beyond that and (if I remember correctly) the smallest number of 5 speed Yari any of those dealership had was 3 and the most was 15 or 17. I don't think I checked the total inventory of those dealerships, but I imagine many of them have larger inventories than the Center City Philadelphia dealership.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #20
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
We motorcyclists do a thing called "fly and ride" where search the country for the bike we want fly out and ride it back. These are used motorcycles.

Maybe its coming to that with the Yaris?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
We motorcyclists do a thing called "fly and ride" where search the country for the bike we want fly out and ride it back. These are used motorcycles.

At one point before the 3rd Generation came out (which I feared would have too many changes I wouldn't like) I thought about doing a 'fly and drive'. This was because I didn't want to give up the Cold Weather Package when purchasing a newer (and also new) Yaris. At the time, Gulf States Toyota (the Toyota distributor for much or all of the U.S. South) wouldn't allow customers to order the Cold Weather Package. I purchased my Yaris new in RI and it had been sent by the factory to another dealership (owned by the same company) in CT, so my car (and I think the few 5-speeds I found in the Northeast) all had the Cold Weather Package.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

For You . You are a person (based on your posts) with a Texas mindset when it comes to how you feel about value for your dollar, but you are living in a state that is just the opposite (except when it comes to gas prices) .
Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #23
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
Quote:

It seems that way. I have mine for sale, at a decent price, and almost no bites...
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by narly charley View Post
It seems that way. I have mine for sale, at a decent price, and almost no bites...
I also read SKurj's post about neither the Scion nor the Subaru dealer wanting a manual transmission Yaris. Left me SMH. I don't understand the dearth of demand re cars with a manual transmission. Do new drivers thing learning is too much of a bother? Sitting in traffic with a manual is slightly irritating, but not enough of a reason in my book to get an automatic.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
If I had a choice .. I would get an automatic as almost 100% of my driving is in the city (stop and go traffic). I have a standard .. but I would rather have an automatic, even though I have driven a standard for over 35 years. I understand how you guys feel .. but I think that the vast majority of people given a choice would take an automatic over a standard.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
If I had a choice .. I would get an automatic as almost 100% of my driving is in the city (stop and go traffic). I have a standard .. but I would rather have an automatic, even though I have driven a standard for over 35 years. I understand how you guys feel .. but I think that the vast majority of people given a choice would take an automatic over a standard.
Perhaps I would feel differently if I lived in your climate and did exclusively city driving. I also feel that a manual transmission gives you more control and I don't want to give up that control.....and it is for all practical purposes impossible to compression start an automatic if need be.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #27
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
For You . You are a person (based on your posts) with a Texas mindset when it comes to how you feel about value for your dollar, but you are living in a state that is just the opposite (except when it comes to gas prices) .

Lifes too short not to GET WHAT YOU WANT!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
If I recall correctly, only about 7% of new cars sold today in the U.S. are manuals (forgot where I read this, though). I have a manual and love it, but the demand for them, as a rule, just isn't there.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #29
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I did just find this article that said demand for manuals is rising a bit:
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.URo_amdECs0
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
narly charley

Drives: 2010 Yaris "L" 5 Speed
I've always driven vehicles with a standard transmission and glad that I have. I think that you should have to take your driving test in a vehicle with a standard trans.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #31
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Lifes too short not to GET WHAT YOU WANT!
I agree! And NO citizens should have to suffer under nanny state policies that hinder this (nor be protected from the consequences of their choices).
Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I did just find this article that said demand for manuals is rising a bit:
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.URo_amdECs0
Great article, quite encouraging! I especially like the note that it is expected that half of the 20% of new Dart buyers who pick a manual will do so because they "believe a manual is the best way to enjoy the European underpinnings of the Dart".
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #33
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
honestly, if i had to commute every day in any type of traffic i would want an automatic. An hour of commuting and my left leg starts cramping up.

I agree a manual is more fun, but commuting makes people suicidal to begin with.