Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #19
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch
a pro doesn't want your econobox, but he may want your stereo..

1990 hyundai excel hatch, with $5000 worth of stereo (16 years ago), it got ripped off 3 times, with alarm system installed. ( underground garage)

then i had a 5.0lx mustang similiar equipment, ripped of 1 time, again alarmed (underground garage)

1980 cutless 442 (outside parking sometime between 3am-7am) alarmed, people told me the next day they heard the alarm, then it went silent so no-body did a thing.

1998 dodge dakota, $5000 of todays dollars into system, no alarm, no tint, never played it loud in my subdivision, no theft..

First thing some teens going to look for is the cool, souped up, tinted window car.. or he may follow you from a bar, or school where your showing off the system to your house for later removal...
Ouch.

So it sounds like they were all stolen in more urban type areas.

I'm still not sure I'm going to put in an expensive stereo, but I am leaning in that direction.

We'll see.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:17 PM   #20
Mattiepl

Drives: 07 Red Yaris 4dr
The cable system is possible to install aftermarket actuators to. It is def. a pain the butt just because it has a tendency to slide on the cable if not hooked up correctly. Like they are saying though make sure you go to a good shop and even in a good shop there might be crappy people. My best suggestion is to start up normal conversation and find out how long the guys have been doing the installs. If you can get a installer to help you that is even better because you can get a feel if they know what they are talking about. My recommendation for a product would be any DEI product(Clifford,Viper,Python... ect.). 2way paging systems are nice if you tend to forget to lock your car. They tell you on the display if the car is locked so you don't have to see the car to know. Also if you are going with remote start system you can see if the car starts without seeing the car. Just becareful if you are going to try and get a remote start on a 5spd. Most places will not do it first off. Secondly I know first hand what can happen. I always knew to not park in gear but for some reason somebody else drives your car it can be trouble. My sister took my old Jeep Cherokee and ran it into a post and did about $1500 in damage with my remote start. Explaining that to the ins. company was fun... "Who was the driver?" Welllll...... lol
Mattiepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #21
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
anyone have any pics of how to install rod actuators on cables? thanks

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #22
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
There is 3 possible reasons to steal a car:

1- Joy ride: Mostly young kids without their licence, they mostly steal cars from idiots that leave their key in the ignition because they think: "I'm just gone for 1 min in that store...not long enought for someone to steal my car!" DUH!. Or those who leave their car with unlocked doors.

2- To commit a crime:Criminals that want to commit a crime wont use their own car...obviously. They will mostly look for "easy-to-steal" cars(ex:chrysler), not too "flashy" cars...with enought space in it to hide something or to carry stolen stuff (ex:mini vans)

3- For the market: The pro IS interrested by your econobox. The reason is simple. If the yaris (for example) is owned by many people, it means that that their will be more accidents that involve that same car...wich also means that the black market will need more parts (motors, bumpers, etc.) to repair these cars. People have to stop thinking that their car wont be stolen because it is not a mercedes!

There is many solutions avaible on the market to protect your car...but remember that the same guys that install your alarms are the same that steal the cars. A 500$ viper alarm system will never be as good as an homemade system. Of course, if the thief can choose between a car with an alarm and another one without any kind of protection...he will choose the second option...but if the car you own is the only one around that has all the equipment that he is looking for...he could probably do the extra effort.

Do your search...and find what's best for you.
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #23
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
What about hooking up the ground for your battery cable to a toggle switch or remote and setting it to your chasis so that it is electrified when you "arm" ? Why is it my fault some jack ass decides today that they want to become a krispy critter?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #24
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
i personally like the jet flame setup that shoots fires out of the sides from under the car to prevent car jacking... too bad it's illegal in the u.s. :p

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #25
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_heads
i personally like the jet flame setup that shoots fires out of the sides from under the car to prevent car jacking... too bad it's illegal in the u.s. :p

I wonder if you had an exterior side mount extinguisher if then it could be legalized...you would have a slight chance at least to grab it depending on output of your throwers....just a thought....

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.

Last edited by fnkngrv; 06-30-2006 at 12:49 PM.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #26
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
how do you add a pager on the dealer keyless remote!!
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #27
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
My thought on the stereo system is, if you're bumping loud enough to advertise your stuff...you deserve to get ripped off.

If you put so much "flash" on your car...it screams, "steal me".

be wise about your stuff. I put up a post here earlier of tips.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #28
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
but then what will be the point of installing an expensive sound system on your car... i mean is like putting yourself in jail and leave the thieves outside...
Old 03-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #29
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
My thought on the stereo system is, if you're bumping loud enough to advertise your stuff...you deserve to get ripped off.

If you put so much "flash" on your car...it screams, "steal me".

be wise about your stuff. I put up a post here earlier of tips.
some of us like our loud "flashy" stereos...most of us are just smart enough not to bump them near our homes or near places where we will park our car.

I have heard stories of people running a coil off their battery and hooking it the the car so anyone that touched it got zapped, but that was back in the day before cars had computers...do that now and you can kiss your cars ECU and your "flashy" stereo equipment goodbye...

The best antitheft system I know of is to park in a well lit neighborhood with people that have a neighborhood watch and lots of guns.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #30
MrJester

Drives: homo
As for the keyless entry and actuator questions I have been trying to get this done myself the rear doors on the sedan do not have any power running to them and so you will have to have holes cut into your B Pillar to run the cable into. Its not a very easy job to do actually. The lowest quote I qas getting on mine was $700 I did end up finding a guy who just di it on the side wanted $450 to do it but I have yet to do it cause I really don't want to go cutting holes in my car. :(
MrJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #31
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I'd want to integrate one of those old Nokia security cameras that are motion activated and send off a picture to your phone by MMS... Best way to know who is messing with your ride, not to mention how it will help the police apprehend the criminal.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #32
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Spades,

I agree with what you're saying. Just remember to place yourself in the path of the scumbag thief as he's running away...then pull the trigger!

Concealed weapons permits are nice out here...however, there's nothing that really substitutes for the sound of a shoutgun's slide action!