Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Security / Alarms for the Toyota Yaris

I opted not to have Toyota install one of the several factory alarm/security systems because they are overpriced in comparison to aftermarket installs.

Just wondering if Yaris owners out there have installed an aftermarket security/alarm system, and specifically which one?

I'm probably going shopping for a security system this weekend and I would love to hear some feedback from those of you have installed one.

For the sake of discussion, does anyone feel that a paging system is more effective than a non-paging system alarm?
bigsky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
Keyless entry/engine immobiliser is standard in Australia, but I had ours upgraded to a full alarm system by the dealer. I'd have to get back on you with regards to the price and the brand that was installed.

I'd look at a paging system if I wanted to 'prevent' my car from being stolen and actually even recover if it was stolen. But it had to be very special car for that kind of system, like a porsche or something. On the other hand, I'd look at a non-paging system as more like a 'deterrent' for ordinary cars.
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
What is a paging system?

Just got the thing from my insurance company, I can get 36% off my insurance if I install the right alarm system.

I'm so there once I finish getting the tach/tint/foglights installed.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
There are various types of paging systems, but they boil down to the following:

Two-Way Paging Alarm System
Basically your car is equipped with a standard alarm, and an add-on paging system is installed. This paging system will alert you if your car is being tampered with such as a warning signal, or if you alarm has actually been triggered. There's various levels of reporting, with minute details like "left glass shock detected" to a generic "car alarm triggered".

Usually a 2-way paging system will have a special keyless entry remote which has a small LCD or monochrome screen that shows a graphical representation of a vehicle, and the various zones that are being monitored.

Range of the paging response is limited of course, and can be interfered with by objects such as concrete, buildings, vehicles, etc. The better paging alarm systems run on FM frequency (older and poor systems run on AM freq) which typically have a better range. I believe "good" range is 3km, but of course that is under ideal conditions.

Paging Alarm System w/ GPS
This is the premier alarm system; standard alarm features, paging system, hijack deterrent, and if it's physically moved, a GPS tracker. If your car is hijacked, ie. the alarm detects the car door opens during the vehicle is on which would prompt you for a valet password, and the thief makes off with the vehicle, the car will shut down after pre-determined amount of time (and as an added option the doors can be locked from the inside).

This type of alarm is reserved for truly expensive vehicles, imo, and is can get very expensive with the number of options available.

Alarms in general are only as good as the install, so I suggest seeking a professional installer who has installed several different types of alarms and is familar with positioning of the horn, alarm "brain", and other components. They can be strengthened by moderate add-ons, such as a hood release bypass, phony horn, and so on.
bigsky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
faulkton

Drives: 1976 dodge b300 van
I was wondering about the alarm listed as an accessory for the US yaris...is that a dealer installed thing, or does it have to come from the factory with it?

Does it have remote start (on a 5 speed) and keyless?
faulkton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
theres many different alarm system available.. i was going to get the viper for $200 but found out that i may lose my warrenty by getting it done somewhere else.. im still trying to do more research, but getting it done at the dealer sucks. your can also just get a regular alarm system which if done professionally will cost you around 100-150.. I live in florida so i can get it done pretty much anywhere (swap shop) but i really dont wanna lose my warrenty

HAMMER TIME!!!
mchammer.gif

Last edited by Uglyboyed; 05-09-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
NateBalditch

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue Liftback
I bought a 3 door liftback this week (blazing blue), but the power package was unavailable anywhere in the area (it was hard enough finding the color I wanted somewhere in IL)...

Anyway, I'm going to Circuit City to do an install of an alarm plus keyless entry. They sold me the actuators, and a 2-way alarm with keyless entry, with installation for around $350. Seemed like a good deal to me. I'm taking it in on Wednesday. I'll post how it works, and the model numbers, etc., after it's done.

The reason I'm getting the alarm is because I plan on putting in an Eclipse double din navigation unit as well, and I feel like it'll be a deterant from someone breaking into the car to lift that.
NateBalditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #8
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkton
I was wondering about the alarm listed as an accessory for the US yaris...is that a dealer installed thing, or does it have to come from the factory with it?

Does it have remote start (on a 5 speed) and keyless?
It doesnt have remote start.
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyboyed
theres many different alarm system available.. i was going to get the viper for $200 but found out that i may lose my warrenty by getting it done somewhere else.. im still trying to do more research, but getting it done at the dealer sucks. your can also just get a regular alarm system which if done professionally will cost you around 100-150.. I live in florida so i can get it done pretty much anywhere (swap shop) but i really dont wanna lose my warrenty

HAMMER TIME!!!
Attachment 380
No way they can yank any warranty if someone else installs an alarm. That is total BS.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
NateBalditch

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue Liftback
So I went to get my actuators/keyless entry/alarm installed today, and they couldn't do it.

Aparently the actuators don't work because there's no rod connected to the lock like an most cars without keyless entry. Instead there is some cabling that won't be compatiable with the standard actuators.

Anyone have any experience adding keyless entry to a non-power lock Yaris?
NateBalditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #11
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
i'd like to know the same, i was going to add actuators, but if it's cable locks, that changes things

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
i was wondering the same thing. i wanna add power locks into my car but none of the toyota dealerships will do it for the yaris for some reason. so i may have to go aftermarket. but i wanna know if there was anybody else out there that done it already. I do know it require cable actuators because of it being a new car. usually any car above 2003 uses cables these days.
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Im prolly going to be having it done in the next few weeks. I'm way too paranoid not to have an alarm.

When I have it done I'll let you guys know about the kit that was used. From what the guy at the shop said it is relatively new.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #14
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
just a note the alarm night make you feel better, but i've experiance a few break-ins, and the alarm going off, just means the theif has to work faster, (more damage) and if he's working in a pair, one guys is at work on the alarm (spray foam, wire cutters etc..) one vehicle i owned they did more damagae to the car trying to find the alarm siren's, and brain : )

and to make you really feel sick, make sure its a good shop, becuase these fly-by night operations will program a secound remote, which they keep, a week later they send out joe blow crack head with the secound remote, one button push alarm is off.. they then re-sell the sterao to you, or the next sucker coming to the shop.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #15
Toddhata

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback, 00 Boxster
Send a message via AIM to Toddhata Send a message via Yahoo to Toddhata
For you guys wanting to add power door locks, there are some car alarm shops that can do it, apparently the late model corolla is supposed to have the same cable type system instead of rods. I had all 4 doors done, they had a part time toyota mechanic working at their shop so he knew how to do it properly. I would just call around and find someone that's sounds like they know what they're doing.
Toddhata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:57 AM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch
just a note the alarm night make you feel better, but i've experiance a few break-ins, and the alarm going off, just means the theif has to work faster, (more damage) and if he's working in a pair, one guys is at work on the alarm (spray foam, wire cutters etc..) one vehicle i owned they did more damagae to the car trying to find the alarm siren's, and brain : )

and to make you really feel sick, make sure its a good shop, becuase these fly-by night operations will program a secound remote, which they keep, a week later they send out joe blow crack head with the secound remote, one button push alarm is off.. they then re-sell the sterao to you, or the next sucker coming to the shop.
LOL, I know if a professional thief wants to steal it their is prolly nothing I can do to stop him.

However I highly doubt a pro will want to steal an econobox.

As far as the fly by night thing, that wouldn't surprise me one bit. Thankfully I have 2 shops within about 100 feet of each other that have been where they are for a few decades at least.

If you don't mind me asking, what vehicles were you driving that were broken in, and where were they broken in, as in was it a city environment type place?

My father had his 1982 Toyota Supra stolen one night when he didn't set his alarm. Lucky for him he called it in and the cops were in the right spot. The theifs managed to outrun the cop cars because the roads were very curvy, they managed to take out the entire interior, but only actually stole the wheels.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:55 AM   #17
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
LOL, I know if a professional thief wants to steal it their is prolly nothing I can do to stop him.

However I highly doubt a pro will want to steal an econobox.

As far as the fly by night thing, that wouldn't surprise me one bit. Thankfully I have 2 shops within about 100 feet of each other that have been where they are for a few decades at least.

If you don't mind me asking, what vehicles were you driving that were broken in, and where were they broken in, as in was it a city environment type place?
a pro doesn't want your econobox, but he may want your stereo..

1990 hyundai excel hatch, with $5000 worth of stereo (16 years ago), it got ripped off 3 times, with alarm system installed. ( underground garage)

then i had a 5.0lx mustang similiar equipment, ripped of 1 time, again alarmed (underground garage)

1980 cutless 442 (outside parking sometime between 3am-7am) alarmed, people told me the next day they heard the alarm, then it went silent so no-body did a thing.

1998 dodge dakota, $5000 of todays dollars into system, no alarm, no tint, never played it loud in my subdivision, no theft..

First thing some teens going to look for is the cool, souped up, tinted window car.. or he may follow you from a bar, or school where your showing off the system to your house for later removal...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #18
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
It's all crackheads around here doing it, Red Deer has a huge drug problem. I pity whoever tries to steal from my car, I'd murder the guy and plead insanity
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote