Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj92 View Post
@Management:
I hope the deviation from the thread title is tolerable ;)
Hey, it's your thread.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
For the dome light, the Body ECU drives it and although I can't identify the 3 terminal driving device, I would say that by its size that it should be able to handle 1A.
Can you take a photo of its marking?
I am a bit into this switching stuff ;)

There seems to be a relay inside the Body ECU, the pins on the dome light connector it is connected to are not used, the resistance is 180 Ohms if I remember correctly and letting current flow through it results in a "click".
I could not figure out what it should switch

Last edited by dj92; 10-11-2013 at 10:14 AM.
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Can you take a photo of its marking?
I am a bit into this switching stuff ;)

There seems to be a relay inside the Body ECU, the pins on the dome light connector it is connected to are not used, the resistance is 180 Ohms if I remember correctly and letting current flow through it results in a "click".
When I have an opportunity I will pull one apart and snap a pic.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
dj92
Embracing Curves

(I will begin to work off my questions I have gathered in the last months if you are comfortable with this)

I have discovered 3 female connectors I struggle to identify (maybe I can use them for own projects).
These are one behind the shifting stick and two between stereo and AC.
I checked the manual's EWDs, but I could not track them really down.

The connector behind the shifting stick has one row of wires with a 0,1" spacing (2,54mm).
The colours and what I have found out up to now:

White - GND
Grey - 12V if headlight is on
Cyan/ mint green
Yellow - 12V IGN
Magenta - 12V IGN
Blue
White with black stripes
the 8th slot is not used.

The first connector between stereo and AC has two rows and looks like a shielded audio cable is connected to it.
It seems to belong to the stereo, but what confuses me is the fact that there is exactly one cable that looks like this on the radio connector and what looks like its other end leads to the aux connector.
Maybe it's a Y-cable?

And what confuses me most:
The 3rd connector which has about 5 pins and 3 wires.
The wire in the middle has an impedance of about 5 to 10kOhms.
The voltages are:

ACC off: 0V
ACC on: 3..5V
IGN on: 12V
IGN->ACC: slowly dropping to 3...5V (maybe a capacitor discharging?)
The other two wires are connected to GND.

I have pulled fuses and found out that it gets current via the ACC-fuse when in ACC, when IGN is on, its the AM2 fuse.

Additionally: The US manual does not mention the seat heating wiring (fuses: SHTR 1 and SHTR 2 iirc)
Does someone have access to information about this?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The first one behind the shift, sounds like the connector for the center console mounted door lock switch.

The radio one sound like it is for the optional navigation system or ipod interface.

What are the colors on the third one?

The seat heaters are fed by the P S-HTR (passenger) and D S-HTR (drivers) 15A fuses.

The driver's on originates from pin 11 of 4Q and goes to the seat heater switch. The passenger one originates from pin 10 of 4Q and goes to the switch. The switch simply supplies the + feed to the heaters and then the other side of them is grounded.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #24
dj92
Embracing Curves

Do you know where the wires for the seat heater switch lead to?
Or are these slots unpopulated by default (my car has no seat heater)?
After half an hour of hardcore gynaecology, I gave up
While the front of the body ECU looks totally the same like that in the manuals, the backside seems to have an additional connector on the backside slightly below the top.
The other connectors seem to be hidden behind a latch, no chance to take that off :(

Here is the mysterious plug:

And:
Does someone know where the unpopulated fuse holder is connected to?
(So I can calculate the current I can draw from there)
Hopefully something easy to reach :D

Quote:
Got that, it's the PWR relay.
by connecting that pin to Vbat, I can operate the window on the passenger side with the rocker switch - but only that side!
No, I can not think of any use for that up to now
Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #25
dj92
Embracing Curves

Last night I began to place some wires for an ambient lighting under the seats.
Between shifter and parking brake I noticed among the bunch of thin wires (seemingly belonging to the airbag and passenger identification) some (2 or 3 I think) thick wires, about 3mm in diameter.
Might they belong to a seat heating option or do they go to the doors for window lifts or door locks?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

What color were the thick wires. The connector above with the pink, yellow and white does look to be the connector for the seat heater switch.

On the under dash fuse panel, the unpopulated fuse position is fed by a 60A feed from the fusible link on the positive battery terminal. I use that to feed my remote starter and heated seats on one Yaris and to feed my aftermarket keyless entry, power locks, and power windows on another. I come off of it with a piece of 12 AWG wire and then branch off with appropriate sized fuses for what I am feeding.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
dj92
Embracing Curves

Quote:
What color were the thick wires.
The only thing I can remember is that there was an emerald green one among them.
Heavy rain prevents me form going out now to take a photo (make an educated guess where my rain jacket lies...)

Quote:
The connector above with the pink, yellow and white does look to be the connector for the seat heater switch.
Interesting theory.
But how does that correspond with the high impedance?
The ~10mA are scarcely enough to power an LED.
Or is that to power a switching logic (maybe even a thermostat?)?
However, I don't get it why there are two wires connected to ground.

I'll hook up an LED to it and have a look whether it might be an "enable" which is interrupted in some instances, e.g. during cranking.

I have seen which small diameters Toyota deems to be good for 15 Amps when I looked at the cigar lighter... that's even less than I would expect in some sort of china cheapo stuff - but more than these wires.

Quote:
On the under dash fuse panel, the unpopulated fuse position is fed by a 60A feed from the fusible link on the positive battery terminal.
Thanks for this hint

ATM, I have soldered a crimp tube over the pressed wire stuff for the AC (bunch of blue wires) together with 2*0.75mm˛ (about AWG 15).
I luckily happened to be given 100m of 16mm˛ stranded wire (almost AWG 5).
Sadly it's all black - good for grounding, confusing for the rest

Maybe I'll take some speaker wire ;)
Old 10-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #28
dj92
Embracing Curves

I've had a look at the wires today and it seems that they belong to the wiring which leads to the rear right hand side door.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #29
dj92
Embracing Curves

After a techdoc-raid (or -speedrun) and looking through the downloaded PDFs, I've found out what the grey one is used for:
It's D101, used for the navigation system (which isn't fitted in mine) and seemingly delivers a speed signal.
I'll check that tomorrow!
The shielded wire seems to go to a junction next to the left tweeter, where a mic wire coming from the roof can be hooked up.
The gear number display seems to belong to the multi-mode manual transmission which is has its own connection to the cluster.

Last edited by dj92; 11-11-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #30
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Yep. There is some old saying...I can't remember how it goes...but the gist of the saying is that one person knows so much more than anyone else that he/she has probably forgotten more about the subject than the sum total of the pertinent knowledge of all others*

* - Normally, this would 'be accurate without quite being hyperbolic (which is what I was shooting for), but this might be an accidental insult to the rest of us, as CTScott has probably rarely forgotten anything!

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 11-11-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added *
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #31
dj92
Embracing Curves

Hi folks,
now I've found out that the connector near the shifter is intended for the seat heater.
Although it is not installed in mine, the wires are drawn up (or better: down) to the seats :D
The wires are rather thin, interesting that Toyota allows 15A to flow through there.