Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2008, 04:30 AM   #19
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Both yours and the Dynomax 1777 actually fit better up into the stock heat shield better than the USDM pumkin muffler. After 15,000 miles my Dynomax is getting a little louder.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #20
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshark View Post
Both yours and the Dynomax 1777 actually fit better up into the stock heat shield better than the USDM pumkin muffler. After 15,000 miles my Dynomax is getting a little louder.

Yea, my muffler sits right up in the channel near the framerail. Everything back there is covered in heatshield, like the car was made for this size muffler.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #21
33lam

Drives: The C-One Yaris
Send a message via MSN to 33lam
great sound! Love it!!
33lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #22
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
very nice vvrroom. I want a boy to put a turbo can on MY 3 dr. Yaris for me. + I like the gray wheels. I want to have a nice muff too like everybody
-sonja
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 AM   #23
DerKaiZeRs
-YaRiS OwNeR-

Drives: YRS Sedan
nice.....
DerKaiZeRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #24
Thej3sta2

Drives: Soon to be LFA
lieky
Old 09-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #25
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
Do you know how many CFM this muffler flows? I cant seem to find any info on it.

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #26
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Here's a pic of my axleback: 2 1/4" Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler (I was too impatient to wait for a 2" DSTM, so I purchased one from a local Advance Auto Parts store for $50. It's not the lighter, single-wall $20+ dollar version. I hacked off the muffler with a reciprocating saw (w/ a metal blade) and drove it to the muffler shop where the tech welded on a pipe configuration that would allow such a large muffler to fit under my car. And then I took it off and painted the entire axleback with a high heat, high gloss black paint. I love the end result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2174.jpg (134.8 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by posaunemeister; 10-03-2009 at 01:15 PM.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #27
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Several Yarii around Dallas have removed the pumpkin muffler and simply run a straight pipe from the axle-back coupling to the exhaust tip. Sounds really good, and doesn't seem to affect performance negatively. Obviously, its a weight reduction, and it appears that the pumpkin is mainly a noise-reducer, so not sure if it would have any emissions effect (I doubt it.)
A dyno run needs to be done to determine if it helps/hurts performance, but that would be very simple to do a with/without pair of runs.
In Texas, the car would probably pass inspection if it passes the tailpipe sniff test, unless the tech decides to look for the muffler and knows that its missing. Even then, it would probably pass, but that's the only problem I can see, legal-wise.
Anyone have more experience with this?
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #28
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Actually in Texas if a vehical is newer than 1996 when they started using OBD2 in cars they don't use a sniffer. Also if you remove your muffler in Texas you should fail an inspection if the inspector looks at your exhaust
Old 10-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #29
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Lil red, it must be different out in FW. Here in Dallas Co., we have the tailpipe sniffers no mater what the year. We're one of the EPA smog counties, so it a little more stringent. We have the lame California-type low-emissions gas too. Cleaner, but less HP (teeny-weeny bit, albeit.)

Also, LRR, you would still have a muffler and 2 cats in the midpipe section, so I'll bet a really clean weld job would get by a lot of inspectors. If they ask, just say "the muffler is right there in the middle! " :)

Your idea of either keeping a stock muffler set-up in the garage for inspections or clamping/welding a hollowed-out muffler body around the straight pipe is the best idea.

Last edited by ozmdd; 10-03-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: more thoughts
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #30
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

I'm not saying you are wrong but I am a certified state inspector and I have done inspections in both Denton and Tarrent counties and never used a tailpipe sniffer for inspections unless the vehical was older than 1996 or the OBD2 link was not reading.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #31
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Lil red, it must be different out in FW. Here in Dallas Co., we have the tailpipe sniffers no mater what the year. We're one of the EPA smog counties, so it a little more stringent. We have the lame California-type low-emissions gas too. Cleaner, but less HP (teeny-weeny bit, albeit.)
So if I move to Austin my supercharged Yaris would still be illegal?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #32
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Shouldn't be... I'm not 100% sure they have emissions testing there. It's not a state wide deal it is more county-city level. But there is a safty inspection across the state. There are 2 members that are boosted in TX not sure if either one has had to get an inspection yet
Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #33
darkMINI

Drives: 08 hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by posaunemeister View Post
Here's a pic of my axleback: 2 1/4" Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler (I was too impatient to wait for a 2" DSTM, so I purchased one from a local Advance Auto Parts store for $50. It's not the lighter, single-wall $20+ dollar version. I hacked off the muffler with a reciprocating saw (w/ a metal blade) and drove it to the muffler shop where the tech welded on a pipe configuration that would allow such a large muffler to fit under my car. And then I took it off and painted the entire axleback with a high heat, high gloss black paint. I love the end result.
I used the little $25 Dynomax muffler and installed a Harley baffle to tone it down nicely. The baffle also adds a little back-pressure that may be lost in the high-flow muffler. Not sure if it matters much in that respect.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #34
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Just installed this very muffler along with some 2" resonator-back piping, and I have to say that I love the sound and performance so far.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #35
robbadobba82

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatch
So to get this on with clamps (Don't have access to a welder). I would just need a 2-2.5 adapter+clamps?
robbadobba82 is offline   Reply With Quote