Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #37
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Stay safe in the future !
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #38
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetViet View Post
Off topic but where can you find a 07 Yaris for 7200?!
Just found this on autotrader.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Whew!! at least you are ok!
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #39
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
can't in any way flame you for posting your experience on the internets. i've been there too, but it was caused by someone cutting into my lane (off throttle snap oversteer in an MR2 + me going too fast + new tires that weren't as sticky as my last set = fail). glad you're alright! is the jar-ish totaled?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #40
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
can't in any way flame you for posting your experience on the internets. i've been there too, but it was caused by someone cutting into my lane (off throttle snap oversteer in an MR2 + me going too fast + new tires that weren't as sticky as my last set = fail). glad you're alright! is the jar-ish totaled?
nope, not totaled according to the insurance company...
This was completely my fault for going too fast and trying to slow down in the middle of a hard turn. The cop's flashing lights didn't spook me, the cops presence did... "oh shit, a cop, and I'm going waaaay too fast" Then it was lift-off oversteer to the right, over correction to the left,snap back to the right, ind into/over the curb, and through the "no parking" sign... meanwhile the whole time all I was feeling was disgust for going and fucking up so badly...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #41
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

It occurred to me that I what I wrote in the first post implied that the cop's lights spooked me, so I edited it to clarify that when I saw him, I lost control of the car. I just happened to see him at the same moment that he turned on his lights...

Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #42
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
glad to hear you're ok! it takes a lot of maturity to post something like this and admit you were in the wrong. i too sometimes do things(according to my wife anyways ) immature for my age(i'm 35). this has been a good wake-up call to everyone out there that it only takes a split-second for things to get f'd-up. thank you for choosing to share an already embarassing situation and hopefully teaching a few lessons.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #43
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Brings back memories. Except I was in my mom's Nissan Sentra and it was raining and I had no insurance. Good times, good times.

But you're okay and you learned.

Like SailDesign said, you learn through experience. Some don't have that luxury and just go straight to the funeral.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #44
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Yeah - we all have our Inner Ricer. My favorite piece of road is the swoopy "S-and-a-half" ramp here. One lane, not a race place, jjust for fun with no-one else around.
^ ramps are the best place for high-speed curves, mostly because you can cross lanes without much problem if no one is around. Just make sure you signal your lane changes!

CAD, glad to hear you're alright.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #45
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Well, she's fixed and supposed to be ready to be picked up tomorrow... I really hope there's not any difference in the way she drives... Now I just have to find out what's going to happen in the courts...

Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #46
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
learning curve: [---------------] lol. j/k. My best wishes for your baby to drive like new!! Also, next time you feel the need for speed, grab a video game console and have at it.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:45 PM   #47
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
I made my share of mistakes driving. From swiping guard rails with my new Gremlin. To making a left turn, and getting hit in the rear passenger side, while driving my Horizon. My worst driving error involved riding a bicycle on a road where the legal speed limit was 40 mph. I was hit by a van. The teenage driver did not have insurance. I was rear ended while on a bicycle. I was throw across the street. The teenager lost his driver's license for 6 months. I spent 4 weeks in a USAF hospital, a year under going spinal rehab at a VA hospital, and 2 1/2 years in VA paid for vocational rehabilitation. The van had a dented roof, a cracked windshield, dented hood, a damaged grill, a broken head light and damaged tires from running over my bicycle. Slightly more damage than you had to your Yaris. You were lucky that you just hit a sign. Next time you may hit a person, disabling that person. The teenager who hit me has spent the last 25 year trying to avoid US government lawyers trying to collect medical costs and money paid out by the VA making disability payments.

My advice is that you start driving the speed limit. Allow more time to get where you are going. Learn how to hypermile to save gasoline. You will need to save gas just to help pay for your increase in automobile insurance.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:27 AM   #48
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Well, she's back, but she's got to go back to the shop... there's some loud squeaks and a "lathe" shaving metal sound coming from the wheel. I think the brake disc is warped or bent It's hard to believe they missed it, it sometimes sounds like a very loud rusty swing set when creeping forward at a stop light. It's embarrassing when the guy on a motorcycle in front of me turns around to see what the sound was... hopefully it's not too serious and I can take it in and get it fixed and a few hours while I wait... we'll see what happens...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #49
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Unfortunately, it will never be "good as new", especially when YOU know it's been in
an accident.
Hope they get it fixed, as that is what they were paid to do.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #50
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
In a world that was good and true the insurance companies would total all unibody vehicles after any serious accident
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #51
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
About 8 years ago I smacked a tree in a Toyota Supra trying to hotshot it out of a parking lot on cold tires. RWD > me.

We've all been there dude. Chin up, take your licks, express your self-loathing in court and hope for the best. You obviously have the right attitude about it. Time to move on.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #52
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Driving stupid and unfortunatly wrecking - $6200.00 + fines.

Learning from your mistakes, and coming out alive - PRICELESS!!

Glad you survived.

We all do stupid things, and some days it bites us in the ass.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 AM   #53
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

well she's going back tomorrow (today rather; it's 3:30 am) hopefully, if I have to get another rental, it won't be another boat like the Chevy HHR I got this last time... as far as it driving like new, she seems to be fine (other than the brakes thing) I haven't pushed her in curves (for obvious reasons) but acceleration seems to be the same, and no errant rattles I've noticed yet... hopefully the brakes will be an easy fix and she be back "good as new"

Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #54
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Ok well, after multiple delays and extensions, it's all over but the punishment... After fixing the slightly warped disc brake backing (which caused the squeaking sounds), she is good as new, and runs like a top. My lawyer worked a deal where I pled guilty to reckless and get the other 2 charges dropped. I got 90 days suspended license, 180 days suspended jail time, 180 days probation, 20 hours community service, defensive driving class, apology letter to the police officer and about $170 fines (plus $220 for probation fees). I think my inexperienced lawyer kind of screwed me on the plea. The good news is that I was able to get a hardship license so I can still drive to work, school, store, and the doctors. I really don’t need to go any where else, so I am set there. My insurance is roughly double now then what it was, so that sucks. Basically it has been stressful, and expensive, but in about 6 months things should be back to normal. (except my driving habits, methinks) I am so thankful it is over (mostly). Hope you all learn from my example…