Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #37
MacAttack7

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
I'm also curious if you've tried the Honda Fit. When I was looking around it got really good reviews...

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...le-Small-Cars/

..but I never got around to trying it out.
Never tried the Fit. I don't care for the looks of it at all. I'd take one for free though. I forgot that I also test drove an Accent. It seemed a step below the others. Not horrible, just not quite as good.
MacAttack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #38
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
get a mazda 2. you'll be happier in every way.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #39
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack7 View Post
Never tried the Fit. I don't care for the looks of it at all. I'd take one for free though. I forgot that I also test drove an Accent. It seemed a step below the others. Not horrible, just not quite as good.
macattack, if you're not in a hurry, i'd wait to test drive the new 2012 hyundai accent and kia rio coming out this year. they will have the 1.6L gdi engine and should get at least 42 mpg on the hwy.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #40
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Did you test drive the automatic with the getrag transmission or the manual?

Admittedly, I already have my Yaris and I'm very happy with it, but if I were in the market today, I'd comparing the same two cars you are
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #41
MacAttack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Did you test drive the automatic with the getrag transmission or the manual?

Admittedly, I already have my Yaris and I'm very happy with it, but if I were in the market today, I'd comparing the same two cars you are
I've only tried manual transmissions. I have an auto now and I can't wait to get back to a manual. So much more fun, at least for me. (until I get in my first traffic jam).

I test drove the Mazda 2 tonight. I dig it !!!

I put my jeep up for sale on Craig's List tonight to see if somebody bites before I make a deal on the Mazda. The dealers will definitely not give me a good price on the jeep. So far just one weird dude called about my jeep trying to talk me into a cash offer below the bargain I already had. He sounded like he was in a call center somewhere.....made me uncomfortable. He said we could meet somewhere, so I told him sure, we could meet at my credit union where I have the loan & they will take care of everything. He said to call him tomorrow when I'm ready to meet. It was just strange. He was with some kind of company somewhere, but I'm not sure who or where. I could hear what sounded like a telemarketing type of company in the background.

Anyway the Mazda 2. It just talked to me more than the others. I'm not even sure what I like about it so much. It seemed to have just a hair more room for my long legs & for my feet. (I remember the Fiesta sort of bothered me with how close the pedals were together..........if I had hiking boots on it might have gotten annoying). The Yaris's steering wheel was in the way of my knees just a bit more. The Mazda still had both problems, but not as bad.

Besides that it was just fun to drive. It didn't really take off all that fast, but once you got into 2nd you could just punch it and it was all good. Felt great going around corners too.........not to say the Yaris & others didn't feel good too. I'm not sure why I like it so much. It just was more me than the other cars.

One thing I really like is that they have 2 trims & that's pretty much it. So I can go to 5 different dealers & they all have the same Mazda at the same price & the salesman even told me he could get any color I wanted because they all trade them back & forth if necessary. I hate it when 1 dealer has the car I want with the options I want & it's the only one in the state.

Anybody want to buy a jeep liberty? :)

I still like the Yaris by the way. If a heck of a deal popped up one one I'd probably switch back to it. They're all so similar, but the Toyota name makes me feel all warm & fuzzy. :)
Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #42
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
another thing to consider....real world mpg

mazda 2 average is about 32 mpg
http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/2

yaris average is about 37 mpg
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/yaris
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #43
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Some more fuel to the fire. I've reviewed both the Ford Fiesta and the Mazda2 on SubcompactCulture.com and ThePortlander.com.

2011 Ford Fiesta SES reivew:
http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...five-door.html

2011 Mazda2 Touring review:
http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...-miata-of.html

Both are great, both are quite different. If it were me, I'd get the Mazda2. If I had to replace my Yaris tomorrow with a new car, I'd get a Mazda2. That being said, I think the Fiesta has the best subcompact car interior, period. However, even with less horsepower, the Mazda feels more sporting in the curves. I think that the Fiesta is likely the best all around subcompact car on the market, though. That doesn't mean it's for you, but as a whole, I'd say it's got the best of everything for most people.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #44
MacAttack7

I bought a Mazda 2 last night. Got the least expensive model for $13,499. When I got home I had an e-mail from another dealer saying he'd sell me a silver one for $12,999. Ugh !!!! :(

I think I did pretty good on my trade in though, so I think I ended up with a good deal, just not a great deal. I had a number in mind when I went in & that's what I got, so I'm ok with it.

The main reason I got the Mazda is because the driving position fit me better than both the Yaris & the Fiesta. I'm 6'1'' mostly legs. The seat can adjust up & down along with the normal adjustments. Steering wheel tilts also.

Anyway it seems like a quality car from what I can tell. The base comes with power mirrors, door locks, remote entry, rear wiper, cd player, rear defrost, air cond. It's weakness is going up hills I would say. Could use some more oomph, but I knew that before I got it. It's still acceptable as long as you know what you're getting.

As far as fun to drive it is really fun when not stuck in a traffic jam. I can't really say how the Yaris & Fiesta compare, but I remember I enjoyed driving them when I tested them. I just don't remember exactly how each one felt.

So anyway I'd say all 3 are pretty similar, so I'd just pick one based on whatever's important to you. The Mazda fit me best, so that's why I picked it. The Fiesta had more oomph going uphill & a nicer interior I think. The Yaris shifted as smooth as butter & the Toyota name & quality makes me feel better. So that's that. If you have a lot of money buy 'em all !!!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #45
detroiter

enjoy the awesome handling and fun of the mazda 2! did you get the manny tranny? :D
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #46
DefStarYaris

Drives: '08 Liftback and Mountain Bike
Send a message via AIM to DefStarYaris
Does fine on hills. I did a cross country trip with my liftback LOADED and had little trouble going through the mountains and hills on the way. Mountain driving with it empty or just my bike on the back is no problem, and really fun.

I don't know about the sedan, but I'm 6 feet tall and have plenty of room in my liftback.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #47
MacAttack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefStarYaris View Post
Does fine on hills. I did a cross country trip with my liftback LOADED and had little trouble going through the mountains and hills on the way. Mountain driving with it empty or just my bike on the back is no problem, and really fun.

I don't know about the sedan, but I'm 6 feet tall and have plenty of room in my liftback.
That's good to hear. I only have 90 miles so far, so I don't know too much yet. I got the manual tranny. It is really fun to drive which is what I was looking for as long as I could still get pretty good mpg, so I'm happy so far.

I had a black one to start with, but then after making some phone calls & researching the paperwork I realized I was duped into buying a "used" car. Apparently somebody had a misdelivery or something & got the wrong color. It had 220 miles on it. I was not happy at all, so I went back to the dealer & they swapped it even for a blue one. I don't know if it was their fault or not, because the salesman drove to the next town to pick up a black one for me from another dealer.

He never mentioned it was actually a "used" car. I had 2 problems with that: 1) I want to break in my own car, just so I know it's history. 2) I guarantee if I actually wanted that car which was now legally "used" I would have paid $1000 less. So anyway they made it right last night & I think I like the blue better anyway.

What brand/model of bike rack do you have?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #48
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Congrats. The Mazda 2 is a great car! I enjoyed driving it.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #49
MacAttack7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Congrats. The Mazda 2 is a great car! I enjoyed driving it.
Thanks !

I guess I have to vacate the Yaris website now. :)

My little Mazda doesn't have an awesome forum like this.
Maybe if I go there & start posting stuff I can start a chain reaction.

Adios everyone !!!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #50
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Before you go, please post some pictures!

(o:

D.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #51
detroiter

Yeah lets see some pictures!

And just because you have a Mazda 2 now doesn't mean you can't stay. It's just like that old gf that didn't work out. Even though things didn't work out, the family members still loved seeing you around and didn't care the situation that happened, they enjoyed your company :D

Stick around, no need to bail out!