Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #55
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
How'd you wire them up? Mine are as bright as the LEDs when the lights are off, but when they are on it pretty much washes them out (I drove down to a local empty strip mall so I could see how they looked in the window reflection). But with the lights off, both the halos and LEDs are bright as hell...

Also, how'd you get such a good pic?

Cheers! M2
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #56
Jochen

Drives: Yaris D-4D
Same here, when the lights are on, the halos are as good as invisible.

But I changed some things now (well, I didn't do it myself). Now I use the LEDs as DRL and as soon as I turn on the lights, the LEDs go out. It just didn't look right when the white/blue LEDs and the "yellow" lights were on together.
I changed the bulbs to brighter ones, but it's still not the same. And HID wasn't an option for me.

Oh, and what do you mean with a good pic? It's just an average pic like any other?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #57
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen View Post
Same here, when the lights are on, the halos are as good as invisible.

But I changed some things now (well, I didn't do it myself). Now I use the LEDs as DRL and as soon as I turn on the lights, the LEDs go out. It just didn't look right when the white/blue LEDs and the "yellow" lights were on together.
I changed the bulbs to brighter ones, but it's still not the same. And HID wasn't an option for me.

Oh, and what do you mean with a good pic? It's just an average pic like any other?
Yeah, the combination of LED and incandescent light bulbs is a little distracting; but perhaps whiter bulbs would help out. I guess HIDs would be the best option but that's not in the cards for me either right now.

As for the pic, the LEDs were just too bright for me to get a good pic. Maybe I need to play with the settings on my camera and try again when there's still some daylight left instead of at night light I did.

Cheers! M2
Old 01-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #58
Prohibit
Verbieten Sie

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Prohibit Send a message via MSN to Prohibit Send a message via Yahoo to Prohibit
Yeah, my halos are also the yellow-ish color.

Hatchback Purist? Be sure to drop in and register. New forum with a great clean design and potential.
Prohibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #59
gm830

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
and these are bright enough to see the road well at night? I really wanted these but read a lot of comments on here about them not being bright enough without HID and something about the halo lights going out a lot
gm830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #60
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm830 View Post
and these are bright enough to see the road well at night? I really wanted these but read a lot of comments on here about them not being bright enough without HID and something about the halo lights going out a lot
Honestly, these are not as bright as the stock lights I had on my car. But those were set a bit high, I don't know if the dealer failed to adjust them after installing my 17" rims or what, but high beam almost was too high. It seemed to light up above the road.

I only test drove these last night and my eyesight in the dark isn't as good as it once was, but they are not an improvement. The beam width is narrower, and while the low beams are bright, they don't seem to project as well as the stock ones did. I think it has to do with the design, I don't know the scientific explanation for it but the dome lens on the low beam seems to send the light in all directions not direct it forward like the high beams do.

Still, I am happy with them, I don't do a lot of nighttime driving and when I do it's in lit areas or at slower speeds in the more rural parts. But the bottom line is that if you're looking for an improvement in lighting from these units, you won't get it in stock form. I think HID upgrades would be a better option in that regard...

Cheers! M2

Last edited by MadMax; 01-29-2012 at 04:31 PM.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #61
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prohibit View Post
Yeah, my halos are also the yellow-ish color.
My halos are as white as the LEDs, it's the lights themselves (high and low beams) that are yellow.

I guess these are H1 bulbs (I didn't check to see), any suggestions on a whiter bulb that won't melt anything?

Cheers! M2
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #62
MadMax

Here's a pic from work this morning, taken just as the sun was rising and with the LEDs/halos on...

And just a few other "glamour" shots...

Needless to say I'm chuffed about them!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by MadMax; 01-30-2012 at 12:26 PM.
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #63
MadMax

OK, got some pics this evening with just the LEDs and halos on to show how bright they are...

Now, has anyone figured out how to adjust these bad boys? The low beams seem to be aimed high, I would like to lower them a bit to get the main part of the beam more down to the road...

Cheers! M2
Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #64
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
The right side of the cutoff kicks up I think, there's no way to avoid it shooting high on the right. You adjust it with the sprocket looking thing just to the inside of the high beam. It should be copper/bronze in colour. I think clockwise is down, and counter is up. You can either see if you can see the direction on the knob itself, or just do it by experimentation against a wall with the lights on.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #65
MadMax

Thanks, I see that knob but was thinking it was only for the high beams. Does it adjust both?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #66
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I'm thinking headlamps are next on my list... @MadMax, how are your headlamps holding up so far?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #67
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
I like to see them on the hatch, not so much the sedan.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #68
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
I'm thinking headlamps are next on my list... @MadMax, how are your headlamps holding up so far?
I had a little delamination starting but I buffed and waxed it out and so far they are holding up well. I still need to adjust the high beams but I rarely use them so there's no rush.

Cheers! M2
Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #69
jeeper5usa

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris
Just my opinion, but I think that running 5000K HIDs in the stock reflector lenses throws out more light then those projector lenses. I do alot of nighttime driving usually where there are no street lights, and the HIDs just seem to throw out more light in all directions then those expensive after-market projector lenses. We tend to have alot of deer grazing on sides of the road sometimes, along with drunks walking home at night who wear all black clothes or teens that think it's cool to walk in the middle of the road and play chicken, and the extra light thrown off to the sides helps me a bunch when there are no street lights. The projectors definitely look cool, but I'm all about the light output!
jeeper5usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #70
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscobear View Post
I like to see them on the hatch, not so much the sedan.
agreed, I want a retrofit for mine.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #71
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper5usa View Post
Just my opinion, but I think that running 5000K HIDs in the stock reflector lenses throws out more light then those projector lenses. I do alot of nighttime driving usually where there are no street lights, and the HIDs just seem to throw out more light in all directions then those expensive after-market projector lenses. We tend to have alot of deer grazing on sides of the road sometimes, along with drunks walking home at night who wear all black clothes or teens that think it's cool to walk in the middle of the road and play chicken, and the extra light thrown off to the sides helps me a bunch when there are no street lights. The projectors definitely look cool, but I'm all about the light output!

I'm with you with hids on stock headlights , since I live in backwoods suburbs.. But it's blinding the other driver from the opposite direction .even on a lowered car, I still have people flashing me occasionally ....
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #72
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I run 6000K HID's in stock housings, aimed down. Light output is great, and I do not blind oncoming traffic.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote