Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #91
IanCFitz
Hells Yeah!

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via AIM to IanCFitz
This cracks me up, On page 159 of the US 2007 yaris sedan manual it says:

Quote:
The air filter should be installed properly in position. The use of air conditioning with the air filter removed may cause deteriorated dustproof performance and then affect air conditioning performance.
OK then where the !&@% is my filter?

I guess its off to autozone to find one...
Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #92
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I would take it to the dealer and get a free one. Just complain that the manual says what it says then they should give ya one. Just deal with a manager or something. They should give in. I am going to go and complain when I get my oil changed this week.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #93
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
I would take it to the dealer and get a free one. Just complain that the manual says what it says then they should give ya one. Just deal with a manager or something. They should give in. I am going to go and complain when I get my oil changed this week.
Hmmm... I would be interested to hear the dealers response. Please keep us informed.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 AM   #94
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I am thinking the same but it would be like not having an air filter in the intake well one is more sever then the other but...... It is suppose to be there and its not. No where in the manual does it say it is optional. I am sure if you bitched enough and say something like your gonna let Toyota know then I imagine they would give ya one since it is suppose to be in there and its not.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:26 AM   #95
Newyaris

Drives: New Yaris (02/2007)
Thumbs down

Please let us know about the result!

Here in Greece the filter is not included!
I have contacted (by email or phone) the Toyota offices in Greece, Europe (Belgium) and Japan and they gave me the same answer: "That's the way it is! No filter! Buy one if you like!"
Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #96
kimona
Super Moderator

Most of this info has been posted before (#73, 78, 84)) and in a few other threads, but for those of you who missed some of it...

As I understand the situation, Toyota did not include the A/C filter because the filter frame will not fit due to the position of the blower. Toyota believed that if the filter frame could not fit, then the filter could not be installed properly. The frame and filter are an assembly unit. So, they just left it out! It's that simple as far as Toyota was concerned.

Unfortunately, the owners manual refers to the A/C cabin filter probably because it should definitely be standard equipment and it was assumed it would be... only later to discover the filter frame wouldn't fit. More unfortunately, the dealers know absolutely nothing about this situation and are totally in the dark when confronted with it. Seems to be a breakdown in communication at several levels.

I only discovered that the car had no filter when something from my glove box got sucked into the blower and began making all kinds of noise. Other yarisworld members have had the same experience. Indeed, it is a problem!

Thankfully, we at yarisworld have found that a filter will in fact fit (with a bit of gentle massaging) and function quite well without the filter frame. It's a quick, easy, and inexpensive install.

At this point, we've learned that a Purolator filter #C38188 and Bosch filter #P3750 will fit adequately right out of the box.

So now the qustion has risen once again... what will Toyota and/or the dealer do about all this?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #97
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Most of this info has been posted before (#73, 78, 84)) and in a few other threads, but for those of you who missed some of it...

As I understand the situation, Toyota did not include the A/C filter because the filter frame will not fit due to the position of the blower. Toyota believed that if the filter frame could not fit, then the filter could not be installed properly. The frame and filter are an assembly unit. So, they just left it out! It's that simple as far as Toyota was concerned.

Unfortunately, the owners manual refers to the A/C cabin filter probably because it should definitely be standard equipment and it was assumed it would be... only later to discover the filter frame wouldn't fit. More unfortunately, the dealers know absolutely nothing about this situation and are totally in the dark when confronted with it. Seems to be a breakdown in communication at several levels.

I only discovered that the car had no filter when something from my glove box got sucked into the blower and began making all kinds of noise. Other yarisworld members have had the same experience. Indeed, it is a problem!

Thankfully, we at yarisworld have found that a filter will in fact fit (with a bit of gentle massaging) and function quite well without the filter frame. It's a quick, easy, and inexpensive install.

At this point, we've learned that a Purolator filter #C38188 and Bosch filter #P3750 will fit adequately right out of the box.

So now the qustion has risen once again... what will Toyota and/or the dealer do about all this?
like your avitar , you must bend over when you ask that question at the dealership & assume the position .......
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #98
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Just a note - I have a 2007 4-door hatch and my car does have a cabin air filter. Also, the dealer knows about the filter, and even my service schedule recommends it being changed every couple of months due to potential mold/blockages. BTW, I live in Canada. :)
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #99
Super_BQ

Drives: 2006 New Zealand Model
Quote:
I have contacted (by email or phone) the Toyota offices in Greece, Europe (Belgium) and Japan and they gave me the same answer: "That's the way it is! No filter! Buy one if you like!"
Upon getting a price quote for the filter here in NZ, the parts dept. called me back and mentioned that none of the Yaris models in NZ come with the filter. So from the dealer's standpoint, they're quite firm about not giving them out.

BTW, price for one shipped overnight = $60NZ ($42 USD)

Emailed my father to check the local Napa dealer in Canada. $20 cdn - I told him to buy 2 to bring over. Though they are not the Bosch or Purolator one, they said it was the equivalent replacement.
Super_BQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #100
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Just a note - I have a 2007 4-door hatch and my car does have a cabin air filter. Also, the dealer knows about the filter, and even my service schedule recommends it being changed every couple of months due to potential mold/blockages. BTW, I live in Canada. :)
Well, the sedan probably has a cabin A/C filter quite simply because it is not a Yaris; it is a Belta, designed and built by a different division of Toyota. I assume the blower unit fits in the Belta such that the filter and frame assembly can be installed.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:10 AM   #101
caveatipse
Banned

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
Quote:

The Toyota filter also fits just fine without a frame.
caveatipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #102
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipse View Post
The Toyota filter also fits just fine without a frame.
But the others are cheaper in price !!
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #103
rdenisonjr
REDyaris

Drives: 2008 Sedan
I found the part number quite easily in the Pep Boys parts catalog, it seems that RAV-4 have the same filter as well as several other models -- cost about 12 bucks
rdenisonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #104
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Quote:
Well, the sedan probably has a cabin A/C filter quite simply because it is not a Yaris; it is a Belta, designed and built by a different division of Toyota. I assume the blower unit fits in the Belta such that the filter and frame assembly can be installed.
My sedan did not come with one - after we bought the car that is something that my husband looked for. I called the dealership and they said that Toyota doesn't supply them, but I could buy one from them for $40. That will never happen.

I am going to be buying one of the ones suggest in this thread however, because I have been trying to find one that would fit.

JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #105
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
In Canada the dealer always wants to replace these every 16k km's for 52$! Bailouts walkthrough will save me 100's and it takes absolutely no mechanical acumen to follow and execute.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #106
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
My sedan did not come with one - after we bought the car that is something that my husband looked for. I called the dealership and they said that Toyota doesn't supply them, but I could buy one from them for $40. That will never happen.

I am going to be buying one of the ones suggest in this thread however, because I have been trying to find one that would fit.

Go to your Local O'Reilly Auto Parts. They have them and they are only $8.99 and they are a perfect fit. Item # 3679
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 PM   #107
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Go to your Local O'Reilly Auto Parts. They have them and they are only $8.99 and they are a perfect fit. Item # 3679
And they should be good for about 15K miles, so about $20.00 for 2 years worth. Sure beats the heck out of one with a filtering surface area that's half cardboard and duct tape.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #108
buchieboy

Drives: Toyota Yaris
aside from the glove compartment? is there any other place where the cabin filter is located?
I cant remove my darn glovebox
buchieboy is offline   Reply With Quote