Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #91
Onwrdigo

Drives: Yaris LE 4-Door
Well.....

The "Yaris" is Toyota's Mini. It is just not as "exciting or eye popping" as the Mini. But they drive similar. (But any Yaris rides much, much better and has less rattles and it is a hell-uv-a lot more reliable) Heck, I even compared my Yaris to an old 320i I used to own. So similar in some characteristics in the driving experience. But the Mini's are plagued with problems of every kind. Engine, transmission, interior quality, ride comfort..."very" expensive regular maintenance and repairs. My boss' wife just took her 2012 Mini Base in for an oil change at the Dealer and they said her brakes also showed wear and needed adjustments at 25K miles. She called her husband as she felt there was nothing wrong with them and he talked with them as well and they both ok'd it based on what the service writer said. ""$900 Dollars"" later she was out the door. No thanks Mini. Hope the poor sap on here who is getting a Mini right now is "really, really" in love with his new Mini; he is going to have to be to overcome the obstacles he obviously has ahead of him.

Case in Point: There is even an almost "brand new & Beautiful'' 2014 Mini on the Used Car lot of my Toyota Dealership. When I asked a sales rep friend about that, they said "It has 2,600 miles on it and they traded it for a new Corolla S . "Not sure why". Bet I can guess.

But Toyota has just abandoned the Yaris in many respects. Have not seen a Yaris in any Toyota commercial for at least two years now, not even a magazine advertisement.

Yet in the recent "New 2015" Car Mag editions, they all mention the redesign/refresh of the 2015 Yaris. "Car and Driver" had the biggest write-up, touting the new front-end, interior and said they are ok with leaving the old engine and transmissions in it as they are almost "enjoyable"...which is a lot for those auto editors to say with the Yaris' old school set-up. Others mentioned the "stiffened structure, tuned-up suspension and new steering" as well.

I am really curious about (and will check-out) the 2015 Yaris whether Toyota advertises it or not. Oh, and one more thing; in "no way" will I ever consider Mazda again after two nightmare experiences with two products and 4 dealerships trying to get things repaired that should have never given trouble in the first place in the first 20k miles. Wost dealership experiences "ever" in my driving-life. So with that, I will not be considering a 2016 or 2017 Yaris built by Mazda in Mexico.
Onwrdigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #92
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwrdigo View Post
I am really curious about (and will check-out) the 2015 Yaris whether Toyota advertises it or not. Oh, and one more thing; in "no way" will I ever consider Mazda again after two nightmare experiences with two products and 4 dealerships trying to get things repaired that should have never given trouble in the first place in the first 20k miles. Wost dealership experiences "ever" in my driving-life. So with that, I will not be considering a 2016 or 2017 Yaris built by Mazda in Mexico.
I really wanted to like Mazda, but I just keep hearing negative experiences with their dealerships and vehicles.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM   #93
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onwrdigo View Post
Hope the poor sap on here who is getting a Mini right now is "really, really" in love with his new Mini; he is going to have to be to overcome the obstacles he obviously has ahead of him.
I love your posts and think you are a great addition to the forum, but I have to disagree with you re the above, for several reasons . If this forum is any indication (and I think it is), I imagine he could overcome any obstacle put in front of him better than 99.9999 % of the U.S. population. He is specifically buying the the Mini Countryman ALL4 (an AWD vehicle). I live in a region that doesn't have inclement winter weather. YOU live in a region that doesn't have inclement winter weather that really hinders vehicles too much (except in the mountains of NC). People buy AWD and 4WD vehicles where I live (and where you live), but they are for the most part buying something they are going to rarely if ever need (the only exceptions I can think of would be mudding in both regions, a job that demands a 4WD vehicle (both regions), and winter driving in the mountains of NC). However, HE lives in Connecticut...and having an AWD vehicle available would make sense throughout the winter. His posts indicate that he doesn't put a lot of miles on his vehicles. I believe his daughter will be the third driver in his household. He's shopping for a first generation Scion xB for his daughter. He has a street legal red Yaris and a street legal blue Yaris. He's trading in the red Yaris for the Mini Countryman ALL4. When he adds the Scion xB for his daughter, he will have at least 5 street legal vehicles (a blue Yaris, a Toyota Tacoma, a Celica convertible, the Mini Countryman ALL4, and the Scion xB) for 3 drivers. I can't imagine there is anything mechanical re his Yaris that he doesn't know how to do himself...and I'm sure that would stand him in good stead in that realm re other vehicles. My point is that any issues that come up with the Mini aren't going to be much of an obstacle for him. Also, that he will put the AWD to good use during those Connecticut winters.

Quote:
But Toyota has just abandoned the Yaris in many respects. Have not seen a Yaris in any Toyota commercial for at least two years now, not even a magazine advertisement.
I agree. Last week a member of the sales team (at the dealership in Florida where I purchased my new Yaris) handed me a PRINTED accessories brochure specificall for the 2014 Yaris. I think this is the only PRINTED Yaris specific information I've ever seen re the 2014 (coming directly from Toyota).

Quote:
Yet in the recent "New 2015" Car Mag editions, they all mention the redesign/refresh of the 2015 Yaris. "Car and Driver" had the biggest write-up, touting the new front-end, interior and said they are ok with leaving the old engine and transmissions in it as they are almost "enjoyable"...which is a lot for those auto editors to say with the Yaris' old school set-up. Others mentioned the "stiffened structure, tuned-up suspension and new steering" as well.

I am really curious about (and will check-out) the 2015 Yaris whether Toyota advertises it or not.
I will check out the 2015 irrespective of promotion (or lack of it) as well, even though I just purchased a 2014.

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing; in "no way" will I ever consider Mazda again after two nightmare experiences with two products and 4 dealerships trying to get things repaired that should have never given trouble in the first place in the first 20k miles. Wost dealership experiences "ever" in my driving-life. So with that, I will not be considering a 2016 or 2017 Yaris built by Mazda in Mexico.
Having just driven a Mexican built Fiesta rental with 35,000 miles on it ...taking into consideration that it was a rental....the above doesn't surprise me at all.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #94
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Last week a member of the sales team (at the dealership in Florida where I purchased my new Yaris) handed me a PRINTED accessories brochure specificall for the 2014 Yaris. I think this is the only PRINTED Yaris specific information I've ever seen re the 2014 (coming directly from Toyota).
Wow. I'm amazed such a thing exists. Any chance of scanning it and posting it?
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #95
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Wow. I'm amazed such a thing exists. Any chance of scanning it and posting it?
I have a couple of scanners, but those scanners are with my stuff that is still in California. I know Hershey (a YW member) requested that I take a picture of the cabin air filter that he posted and I purchased and installed (in my 2007 Yaris) before he did. By some method (I don't remember how I did it:.....I don't have a data plan on my phone) I was able to post that picture. I'll figure that out again this coming weekend and post pics of each page of the brochure. I like the size. It just fits into that slot that takes up the whole 'rear window' of the owner's manual folio they give owners at delivery (black with red TOYOTA lettering + the Toyota emblem on the front) and I have it opened to the 'rear spoiler page' as that 'rear window' of the folio view.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #96
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
I have a couple of scanners, but those scanners are with my stuff that is still in California. I know Hershey (a YW member) requested that I take a picture of the cabin air filter that he posted and I purchased and installed (in my 2007 Yaris) before he did. By some method (I don't remember how I did it:.....I don't have a data plan on my phone) I was able to post that picture. I'll figure that out again this coming weekend and post pics of each page of the brochure. I like the size. It just fits into that slot that takes up the whole 'rear window' of the owner's manual folio they give owners at delivery (black with red TOYOTA lettering + the Toyota emblem on the front) and I have it opened to the 'rear spoiler page' as that 'rear window' of the folio view.
OK thanks but it's no big deal if it's too problematic.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #97
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
I completely get what you were trying to say regarding the miles and the rental treatment & the way your friend drove those hard 155,000 miles. Yes, why does the Fiesta feel like that after 35,000 miles & the PT feels BETTER after 150,000+ miles? Gotta wonder.
Mini's are absolutely awesomely cool looking! I'll bet they are a blast to drive. I'll bet you I could go out tomorrow and find one, take it home from the dealer & in a few hours and be completely freakin' in LOVE WITH IT.
But, my gut feeling is that if I kept it for years it would become a money pit. I'll go with my gut
We can ALL justify a car purchase of any make or model! Believe me, I've done it myself & have been fortunate enough to have reliable service in those cars, whew!
I think certain people have a passion for cars & driving, it's a good thing.
Yes, Scott is getting a Mini, I read a post a few days ago him trying to sell the wheels & tires from the one he is trading in (I believe) Sell them to a willing buyer & get the buyers stock wheels and tires. Good idea. I'll have to go look for that post again. I hope he was successful - I think he was getting some AWD extended version, they make 5 or 6 models now.
He'll have a ball with it I'm sure - I gotta go check out the Mini website now, it's been awhile!
. Part of my point was that Scott may never end up driving the Countryman enough miles to have to worry about 'an early money pit stage'....but I probably didn't make that clear enough .
Old 08-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #98
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
It is entertaining to me people are only comparing the Yaris to brand new options. There is a whole host of used car options, even though the used car market is totally insane you can find some really good deals if you look hard enough.

Or there is things like Elio Motors Which is worth keeping an eye on.

I saw a rumor that Toyota was really gearing up to build a smaller sports car by 2018 or so. Hoping it is a new MR2 more in line with the first gen MR2. That would be awesome.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #99
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
I think there is such a thing as "too reliable a car for too little a profit" for a car manufacturer, and the Yaris most definitely fits that description. They are in the "selling cars" business, after all...
That is the thinking that put Detroit where it is today.

They are in the business of selling cars, sure. I am NOT in the market to buy a car so that I can buy another car in a year or two. I am in the market to find the BEST answer to my needs for the lowest cost.

Toyota fits that bill; because the cars are indestructible. If they cheapen the car so that it only lasts a few years...THEN THERE IS NO REASON FOR ME TO BUY TOYOTA.

If they limit quality to only their premium and full-size line...I don't need a premium car with all the gimmicks and I don't need a full-size car. I DO need quality. If Toyota tries to tell me that I can only have quality in a full-size car - as Chevrolet used to demonstrate to THEIR customers - then I will find another enterprising brand that WILL offer quality in small packages.

As Toyota did to capture the American market.

What I'm saying is, this line of thinking is FATAL to the future.

As to the Yaris not selling...if there's not the market or they don't want the market, then that, as they say, is that.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #100
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
That is the thinking that put Detroit where it is today.

They are in the business of selling cars, sure. I am NOT in the market to buy a car so that I can buy another car in a year or two. I am in the market to find the BEST answer to my needs for the lowest cost.

Toyota fits that bill; because the cars are indestructible. If they cheapen the car so that it only lasts a few years...THEN THERE IS NO REASON FOR ME TO BUY TOYOTA.

If they limit quality to only their premium and full-size line...I don't need a premium car with all the gimmicks and I don't need a full-size car. I DO need quality. If Toyota tries to tell me that I can only have quality in a full-size car - as Chevrolet used to demonstrate to THEIR customers - then I will find another enterprising brand that WILL offer quality in small packages.

As Toyota did to capture the American market.

What I'm saying is, this line of thinking is FATAL to the future.

As to the Yaris not selling...if there's not the market or they don't want the market, then that, as they say, is that.
One 'Yaris' is selling here in the U.S. .......It's just called the Prius c . IMO, there are several reasons for this - 1. I think why? is correct re the trend away from manual transmissions. I'd think the main reason = as people spend more time stuck in traffic, they don't want to be bothered with a manual (more so than MPG or performance reasons). - 2. Media messages that hybrids always = a smaller overall carbon footprint (not the case). - 3. Trendiness/bandwagon/politically correct/(or some combination of these) nature of a certain segment of U.S. consumers.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #101
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^

4. The Prius C has factory to customer incentives and decent dealer discounts, so it can be had for just dollars more than the Yaris LE.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #102
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^

4. The Prius C has factory to customer incentives and decent dealer discounts, so it can be had for just dollars more than the Yaris LE.
Good point.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #103
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
:because insurance might be a bit more?...I decided these were dumb reasons (and I later learned the iinsurance increase = $150 something per year).
I just got the hard copy/declarations page in the mail yesterday, and the increase turned out to be less....$140.00 per year more to insure two, rather than one.

P.S. I was at AAA anyway late this afternoon. so I chatted with an agent re recent mailings. Turns out the system wasn't reading that my 2014 = a new car, so the added amount for the second car is even less...$128.00 per year rather than $140.00.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 08-27-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #104
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
One 'Yaris' is selling here in the U.S. .......It's just called the Prius c . IMO, there are several reasons for this - 1. I think why? is correct re the trend away from manual transmissions. I'd think the main reason = as people spend more time stuck in traffic, they don't want to be bothered with a manual (more so than MPG or performance reasons). - 2. Media messages that hybrids always = a smaller overall carbon footprint (not the case). - 3. Trendiness/bandwagon/politically correct/(or some combination of these) nature of a certain segment of U.S. consumers.
Agree with all of this. ESPECIALLY the trendiness/media hype. Hybrids, to me, are a ripoff - they offer better fuel economy IN SOME CIRCUMSTANCES. They shine in stop-and-go traffic; their technology is a waste on the open road, where regenerative braking doesn't factor in. The cost is high enough that to make up the DIFFERENCE in fuel economy (assuming the EPA figures are reflected in real-world) one would need to keep the car over 100,000 miles. And at that point, the more complex drivetrain might make maintenance more costly.

I like things SIMPLE. I have had, in the past, a VW Super Beetle; an old mail jeep; a Pinto. All of them simple and straightforward to care for. Nothing complex to go wrong - although I wasn't enthused about the belt-driven camshaft on the Pinto (and later it did fail; the engine was designed for clearance). So, when the Prius C and the Yaris sit side-by-side...guess where I'm drawn?

Toyota seems to want to be The Green Car Company. And they may pull it off; but sadly for them, they're in direct competition with Government Motors. And government, in any form, don't like competition. Hence the BS stories about ghost-accelerating cars; about forced recalls for silly issues; the lawsuits about somehow "discriminating" against (insert name of favored victim group here). So...I think, the more they stray from their message of "Basic, quality transportation" the more risky is their future.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #105
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
the more complex drivetrain might make maintenance more costly.
Good point.

Quote:
I like things SIMPLE.
Quote:
simple and straightforward to care for. Nothing complex to go wrong
I do as well.

Quote:
So, when the Prius C and the Yaris sit side-by-side...guess where I'm drawn?
Even in the Fiesta rental I had, I didn't like that my left foot didn't have anything to do !

Quote:
somehow "discriminating" against (insert name of favored victim group here).
Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #106
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Anyone jump in the wheel well of your plane while you were in Charlotte?
Granted, the Fiesta was a rental car. People do not take care of their own cars, let alone a rental car. Many people make it a POINT to beat on rental cars! Looked at a Fiesta briefly at a local dealer. Sure, it was OK, brand new, but never seriously considered one. After all these years, I have become so disappointed in the old "Big 3"
Decades of Toyota, Toyota, Toyota reliability, runs, no problems, etc. OK, I give UP, I WANNA TRY ONE! That's how I got here.
I am really easy on cars. Sure, there's a good chance I could have purchased a Fiesta or Fiat 500 or Spark & had good luck with it, but told myself, nope, not doing it. Had Fords, many GM products, gotta try a Toyota.
I know I made the right decision - I guarantee I will have this car until I croak, or some idiot totals it, or some idiot totals it with me in it and I croak Any of the above!

Forums are a good place to read what people are saying about cars.
I did some pretty extensive reading at some of these forums. Reading about Yaris (& Echo) lots of praise & LACK of issues. I understand, more volume sold, more people crabbing about problems.

I absolutely LOVE the looks of the Fiat 500 - there is an owner of one who works at the CVS by my house. It is a light-ish green opaque, Just wonderful looking. Have never been all over, hands on with one, maybe I should check one out sometime. It is so cute & good looking to me, the color choices are awesome.
Dang, I want to hug it and take it home and sleep in the garage with it on the concrete floor and offer it a Cookout 1/2 pound cheeseburger & fries, and kiss it all over. It's all that a small, fun to drive car should look like...It looks GREAT!
But you know what? It's a F I A T - Not getting sucked into that.
Fix It Again Tony!!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #107
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
I read things now and then at the Mini, Fiat 500, Fiesta, Spark, etc. forums out there. Some real horror stories. No thanks.
I would imaging you can get new carpet, pieces or a 'Kit' to replace. I did it once, in my '72 Chevelle Convt. - it was totally easy, and completely transformed the way the interior looked (really made a difference)
I bought a Mini!!!

Seriously, the issues are with the R53 models, that had engine issues.

The R56 LCI has majorly improved, and the 2014+ F56 has a true BMW designed motor.

But I do hear that I need to sell it before the warranty runs out!!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #108
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
I bought a Mini!!!

Seriously, the issues are with the R53 models, that had engine issues.

The R56 LCI has majorly improved, and the 2014+ F56 has a true BMW designed motor.

But I do hear that I need to sell it before the warranty runs out!!
Cool!
Seriously, It's a crap shoot with any car you buy. I do believe (generally) some car models are a lot more reliable than others.
They are beautiful cars, I wish you good fortune with it!
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote