Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #109
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
The weaponR filter has a small velocity stack built into it...

Do you want to sell it...?
Sure.

It's brand new in the box, and can be yours as a complete kit for $20 and 7$ for USPS Priority Mail shipping.

Edit: Price lowered. It's likely you wanted the cylinder filter and not the cone filter so I went ahead and listed it on Ebay. If you do want it, you can have it for $20 if you let me know before anyone bids on it so i can cancel the auction.

Filter
3" to 2.5" silicone adapter
All stainless steel screw clamp
Allen wrench to disassemble filter for cleaning
Element cleaning solution

The filter has a really tough ridgid metal mesh on the outside and inside of the element...

It's built for a 3 inch intake and has internal vanes to smooth the airflow...

The silicone adapter allows it to fit a 2.5 inch intake...

Last edited by tooter; 06-24-2012 at 11:45 PM.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #110
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
It would be nice if you would be willing to provide all dimensions for that Blox setup. It could be a great component depending on physical dimensions for my turbo installation especially if they provide the type of air flow performance that is touted.
Sure. Be happy to. It arrives this Thursday the 28th. From the installation pics I've seen, a lot of them are turbos like this for example.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #111
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
I was experimenting a few years ago with the Spectre Filters (inward facing cone/ no oil) that you get from Advanced Auto Parts and the short period of time that it was on there it sounded really mean. I don't Know how much better it would sound with my AEM cold Air intake but I might try it out again(this time with a real Intake pipe to connect to). It sounded like it rev'd up higher and louder when I had tried it out but that could have just been the sound it made and not what it actually did. I don't know what the feeling to these filter are but It may be cheaper or an easy replacement for future use.

mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #112
tooter
play every day

That's a really good design because it has at least another third more filter surface area on the inside. They're an oiled filter, and come in 3, 3.5, and 4 inch openings so some adaption would be needed to make them fit a yaris intake tube.

I had a go on the manifold with some sandpaper just to see how well the surfaces would clean up...

Not too bad as a raw finish, except up close there are too many little pits, nicks, and flaws, so it will likely end up being painted.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #113
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Damn i thought you got the SecretWeapon intake. I really like the SW filter. The dragon is good stuff...just not my style.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #114
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
so it will likely end up being painted.
or powdercoated, or even better yet, ceramic coated. Good cheap place in LA for that.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #115
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Damn i thought you got the SecretWeapon intake. I really like the SW filter. The dragon is good stuff...just not my style.
No problem, guy...
I figured that, because it's certainly not my style either. I was just bought it for the intake tube. The Dragon is the cheapest one and uses exactly the same intake as the Secret Weapon which costs $40 more. So I spent that money on the BLOX velocity stack dry filter instead. Putting them together makes a really neato intake for $224.

I'll post some pics when I put the parts together.

Last edited by tooter; 06-27-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #116
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
or powdercoated, or even better yet, ceramic coated. Good cheap place in LA for that.
Hey Garm,

I knew nothing about Ceramic coatings and needed to go read up on it. Some coating businesses recommended not doing it on old aluminium because of the 1,300degree high heat. They mentioned the possibility of warping and the metal outgassing. One auto forum poster warned not to coat the inside of intake manifold runners in case any of the coating was to flake and get run through the engine.

Has your ceramic experience been different? Are there any advantages? Any drawbacks that you know about? I have no idea if what I'm reading on the internet is true or not. But since I don't want to take any unnecessary chances, its more likely I'll go with powdercoating as it sounds safer. The manifold is only exposed to mild tempratures anyways so maybe ceramic isn't necessary.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #117
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Sure.

It's brand new in the box, and can be yours as a complete kit for $20 and 7$ for USPS Priority Mail shipping.

Edit: Price lowered. It's likely you wanted the cylinder filter and not the cone filter so I went ahead and listed it on Ebay. If you do want it, you can have it for $20 if you let me know before anyone bids on it so i can cancel the auction.

Filter
3" to 2.5" silicone adapter
All stainless steel screw clamp
Allen wrench to disassemble filter for cleaning
Element cleaning solution

The filter has a really tough ridgid metal mesh on the outside and inside of the element...

It's built for a 3 inch intake and has internal vanes to smooth the airflow...

The silicone adapter allows it to fit a 2.5 inch intake...

The air filter sold on Ebay for $25. That brings the cost of the intake down to just $200.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #118
tooter
play every day

The BLOX velocity stack air filter arrived today.
It fits perfectly on the Weapon R intake tube...

The throat of the velocity stack is 2.5 inches... and smothly flares out to 6 inches...

...and the oversized dry element filter is 7.5 inches in diameter.

Hope it fits under the hood!

Now, to put it on the car.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #119
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
daaaannnggg thats a big filter haha. I know you said the diamter is 7.5 inches, whats the length? Looks to be fairly close to the diamter measurement..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #120
tooter
play every day

Yeah, it's a big ass filter all right!

It's 7 inches long. I discovered that this filter is exactly the same one used on the big 4 inch intakes, which I think is great. If it has the flow capacity to handle a 4 inch intake, it'll flow really good on a 2.5.

I really like the fact that the BLOX is a dry element filter so I don't need to mess with oil. Besides costing a lot more, it was why I didn't get the K&N Typhoon short ram kit.

And the fact that the velocity stack outer diameters are 6 inches regardless of throat diameter, it makes this particular stack really large with such a small 2.5 inch throat on it.

Right now, I'm cutting the intake pipe little by little until the whole assembly is short enough to fit. It won't take much, likely about an inch all totaled. The diameter is totally fine as the stock airbox is fat. Man, does it fill up that space!.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #121
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
well for my purposes with my current turbo setup that filter wouldn't work :( It is MUCH too big. I was rubbing on my harness with the K&N 6" just co clear my hood. Wonder how much of an issue it would be to use my AFE Pro Dry and retrofit it on?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #122
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
well for my purposes with my current turbo setup that filter wouldn't work :( It is MUCH too big. I was rubbing on my harness with the K&N 6" just co clear my hood. Wonder how much of an issue it would be to use my AFE Pro Dry and retrofit it on?
I don't think a 6 inch filter will work, as just the diameter of the velocity stack alone is already 6 inches...

I got the filter on this evening... and ended cutting about 4 inches off the intake pipe so now it's a really short ram intake...

Drove it to town to gas up and reset the mileage. I don't think it actually made any big difference but I've only driven it just a few miles. I had expected there to be some intake noise, but it's pleasantly quiet. I'm not sure, but it might be because of the really smooth direct flow pattern, or maybe because the filter is so large. Overall, I'm pleased how it turned out, a simple direct almost straight true velocity stack short ram intake that flows well. The car runs great, and no check engine light...

...and it looks really COOL.

Last edited by tooter; 06-29-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #123
tooter
play every day

With the intake completed, and over 1,000 miles on the engine, the car is ready for a baseline dyno this coming week...

It will be done with:

Weapon R short ram intake with BLOX velocity stack air filter
Weapon R 4-2-1 tri-y header
Micro Image MagnaFlow Center Exit exhaust

Last edited by tooter; 06-29-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #124
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
that filter is huge in the engine compartment. it does look nice and filled though. a lot of the aftermarket intakes make it look like there is something missing there.

can't wait to see your baseline numbers. how is the actual intake manifold coming along? any pics of its progress?
Old 06-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #125
tooter
play every day

With that way oversized filter, it's almost like having an open intake because there's hardly any flow restriction. I'm still suprized at how super quiet it is. There's almost no difference in sound from the stock air box.

My two week timeline was wildly optimistic...

They have all the aluminium stock and the 3D drawings are still being worked on. One of the guys is in the hospital for an appendix operation, so the project got held up while he recovers. I'll be there next week to go over the computer drawings with them before machining begins.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #126
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
That cone filter fills that space really well.
Still got an OEM throttle body? You may want to swap it out for a compatible one that is perhaps less restrictive... 2¢