Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #109
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbetty View Post
...Your mother should have washed your mouth out with soap more often...

Your mother should have... done something.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #110
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Ahem.... (cough) (cough)

Everyone remember to be nice
Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #111
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Ahem.... (cough) (cough)

Everyone remember to be nice
But she was talkin' 'bout my momma!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #112
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Why don't we leave the Mom's out of the discussion all together

slippery slope ...
Old 10-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #113
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Yes it would be nice for posters to avoid all insults, including insults about me being afraid of zombies who want to come along for the ride.

My experiment using the battery powered jump starter was successful. Leaving the jump starter attached to the car battery for 8 hours, at temperatures varying from 65 to 50 degrees F, transfered a charge. The charge transfered was not strong enough to start the vehicle, but the charge transfered to the car battery was strong enough to light up the dash. Enough of a charge was transfered to confirm that my goad is achievable, to use battery powered jump starters as trickle chargers to keep the energy level in the batteries high enough to prevent freezing of both car batteries this winter.

The second part of the experiment now is to find out how many battery powered jump starters are required to keep both car batteries charged enough to prevent both batteries from freezing this winter. The second part of the experiment will take time. Charging a fully discharged lead acid battery takes a lot of energy. The nice Fall weather hope fully aid me in achieving my goal. The warmer the outdoor temperature the faster the battery charge. The energy consumption during the first 1/2 of the charge cycle is high. I have to be careful not to over react to the slow rate of charge by buying too many battery powered jump starters. Since I have bought a second battery powered jump starter, I now have one jump starter charging one of the car batteries, while the other jump starter is recharging. I figure it will take two additional jump starters, to keep both cars batteries charged enough to prevent freezing.

It will be interesting to learn if using battery powered jump starters to keep both car batteries charged enough to keep both batteries from freezing will slowly lead to being able to keep both car batteries charged enough to start both vehicles. That way I can avoid opening the hood to swap out the partially discharged battery powered jump starter with a fresh jump starter in bad weather.

Hopefully by the middle of the next Spring, the small alternator in the Yaris, combined with the additional charge provided by the battery powered jump starter, will raise the charge in both car batteries back to being fully charged.

Then I can get back to working on the fog lamp kits to make sure that the fog lamp kits are properly installed.

Last edited by ellenbetty; 10-22-2009 at 02:54 PM.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #114
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
A much simpler solution may be to simply upgrade to a higher capacity battery. The Yaris has a decent amount of space for a larger capacity battery. I am currently running a 55Ah Sonnenschein battery in Crashy, and there is still space to go larger.

On my 09, which has keyless entry and remote start, I measured the off state current draw at approximately 300mA. This means that in 24 hours this powered off Yaris will use 7.2 Amp Hours. This is a significant amount of draw, as it means that this sitting Yaris will have a dead battery in less than two weeks.

On Crashy, who is a bare bones 08, I measured the off state current draw at approximately 160mA, which equates to 3.84 Amp Hours of draw in 24 hours.

In doing some measuring of current draw of various things while the ignition is off I found the following to have the most significant draw while powered off:

ECM: 50mA
Body ECU: 100mA
Radio: 5mA
Clock: 5mA
Keyless Entry/Remote Starter on my 09: 150mA

The ECM, radio, and clock are all reasonable. The keyless entry / remote starter on my 09 is no surprise as it is an active system waiting to hear from an RF remote. The body ECU is the one that really surprises me. This is an ECU that is built into the white plastic chunk that we tend to refer to as the under dash fuse panel.

If I had a Yaris, which spent weeks sitting, I would add a switch to the power feed to the main body ECU (connector D33 on the center of the back of the white chunk). This alone would triple the powered off battery life.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #115
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Okay, I give up... obviously logic and common sense is lost on some. Good luck.

UNSUBSCRIBE.