Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Toyota owners just natural good samaritans?

Well, on my way to a cafe to finish my part of the group project for class when i see this Toyota Tundra pull over in front of me with the hazards flashing. I slowed down to caution when i saw a kid on just laying down on the sidewalk and a bike on its side next to him. Worst case scenario went through my head and thought that maybe this kid was hit (and possibly run). I pulled over behind the truck and got out to check the kid who was already being assisted by the guy from the truck.

The kid was soaked in sweat, unsteady gait, and seemed to try to catch his breath in between sentences. The truck guy handed him some bottles of water while I got the story from the kid and assessed his vitals. In short, kid was riding in the sun too DAMN LONG without water breaks and became weak to the point that he got off his bike and plopped down on the ground. Told the truck guy to call EMS for further evaluation to make sure the kid was okay and had the kid sit in my car, away from the sun and into the cold A/C (yes, it was idling, ooooh I am so bad!!), and had him call his mother to let her know what happened. EMS rolled up, by then the kid was more coherent and respirations and pulse were back to normal. They figured the kid needed to get out of the sun and to drink plenty of water. A relative came by to pick him up and thank us endlessly.

The funny part of the story was while the kid was talking to his mom in my car, me and the Tundra owner were just talking about each others vehicles. He envied my MPG while I envied the fact that he has a truck that I really want.

To make this day any more exciting. I finally arrive to the cafe but before I settle down, a woman comes up to me asking me to help her connect to her network. Turns out that her IE was acting up somehow and didn't really have the time and resources to find the exact problem. So I downloaded Firefox on my netbook and installed on her system. Firefox detected a proxy. Further evaluation determined that her freaking MSN Dialup was preventing the browsers from connecting to the servers. I set Firefox to work without a proxy and now she can surf via Firefox! She later comes up to me and hands me a $10 bill and thanks me endlessly. I graciously declined but she insisted. I don't know about y'all, but I only decline once. If you keep insisting, its MINE!
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
You like to tell stories..

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18573
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
Eh...you can believe them or not.

There are people on this forum that met me and can probably confirm that I am not a schizo.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
I'm not implying your stories are fairy tales; just that you post these stories with such great description, it's interesting.....that's all. :P Maybe I am subconsciously jealous of your exciting life; apart from my work/school/work life.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
I'm not implying your stories are fairy tales; just that you post these stories with such great description, it's interesting.....that's all. :P Maybe I am subconsciously jealous of your exciting life; apart from my work/school/work life.
Oh crap, My bad! I read it in a different mindset.

Well, to better explain my exciting life:

One: I was in journalism from middle school up until junior year in high school. When there is crap to report, I learned to make ordinary events into adventures by making the reader feel he/she is in the action. Like I can make a normal trip to McDonalds sound like a deer hunt in wilderness. This talent helped me get some pretty good scholarships.

Two: I was in Boy Scouts. And what do we do in the Boy Scouts? Lots of community work. Its almost natural to me now.

Three: I always loved helping people. I guess that also explains why i want to be nurse?

Finally, FOUR: I always love to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into and find a way out of it.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
... I graciously declined but she insisted. I don't know about y'all, but I only decline once. If you keep insisting, its MINE!
Agree!
Old 06-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Enjoyed your stories. Maybe you're going into the wrong profession?
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
+1. You'd be epic as a writer

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Enjoyed your stories. Maybe you're going into the wrong profession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
+1. You'd be epic as a writer
Thank-you for the compliments. I get the same from friends and family. Frankly, I don't know. Although I can make a reality as a amazing as an adventure, I do sometimes have "writer's block" when writing fiction stories. But then again, look at "Munich" and "Da Vinci's Code" which blended reality with fiction .

We'll see. You never know what the future holds for us. I might end up having spare time between work and home life that I could get motivated to write a book or be an editor for the local newspaper.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
hehe, might be a nursing thing as well. I do the same.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote