Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #37
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
... going fast and trying to make a way through the traffic is part of the game and the excitement...
Um... where to start?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #38
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Is not letting me pass worth a fight?
You are unpolite by driving slowly without letting people pass, it's normal to get the same lack of politeness from the guy behind you.

And the top drivers at work (food delivery, in yarises) are always making 40-80% more orders than some other drivers, so driving quickly isn't just a matter of seconds, but a matter of minutes which makes me gain maybe 1-2k$ extra at the end of the year. And I'm not more dangerous than anyone, I have never been close to have a responsible accident implying other cars, or at least not due to the non respect of the law. Driving fast = more focused, less distracted, less small accidents due to a lack of attention on the road.

And driving slow is boring, going fast and trying to make a way through the traffic is part of the game and the excitement, and that's whate make driving supportable. Otherwise, I'd hate driving and I'd rather take the bus (which I do when it's not much longer than car). The yaris is a great car to drive quick around town, it takes sharp turns and it makes U-turns so easilly.
i don't even need to read the garbage, where did i say i don't let people pass? Where? Reading comprehension is good for you. Just pretend you have a brain in your head, and if you think really hard, you might actually turn it on.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #39
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
i don't even need to read the garbage, where did i say i don't let people pass? Where? Reading comprehension is good for you. Just pretend you have a brain in your head, and if you think really hard, you might actually turn it on.
If you get followed, it's because you didn't let the people pass. Unless the guy following is really dumb and is staying behind you on a 2+ lanes road.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #40
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
I'll pull off to the side of the road when possible when someone is getting worked up and following to closely . That way I don't get peeved as well . No matter how fast you go some will still get up on your .

Last edited by Hershey; 03-20-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #41
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
If you get followed, it's because you didn't let the people pass. Unless the guy following is really dumb and is staying behind you on a 2+ lanes road.
where on earth do you live? East timbucktoo? Do you drive on one lane roads that see 5-20 vehicles a week?

Or maybe you just got your license a few days ago and have zero idea of what you are talking about.

Here in real civilization people are jerks. They tailgate you and flash their lights at you on 4 lane highways. There is literally no road i drive on where passing is not easy, nowhere in my commute where i consistently go below the speed limit. I am always the slowest person on the road, and even when they can pass easily, people like you would rather be a jerk.

Now if you really are a child who just got your license, realize now there are people who will stop, get out of their car, and beat you to within an inch of your life if you tailgate them like you claim you do. And you have no idea which car they are in, what move they might make. I've seen people on highways choose to play demolition derby with cars because someone did something that pissed them off, you literally do not know which person you are driving near is ready to die, or who is in such a bad mood they would love to die by ramming your car.

Now someone who does what you do I slow down or stop. If they are in a bad mood they quickly get scared shitless when they see someone 6'2" and bigger than most football players step out of the vehicle, and they go around like they should. However there are people who carry guns in the vehicles. There are people in terrible moods who will grab tire irons and go after you with it. I saw a lady in a bmw stop, put her car in reverse, and smash into someone who pissed her off while she was driving ,she then got out of her car and started pounding on the other vehicle.

This isn't fantasyland, this isn't a playground. You are driving a weapon, with people around you driving weapons. It only takes one stupid error with one other person who is ready to die to change your life forever, if you are lucky enough to survive.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #42
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
I'll pull off to the side of the road when possible when someone is getting worked up and following to closely . That way I don't get peeved as well . No matter how fast you go some will still get up on your .
That's a good attitude. Sometimes I drive slowly to find the adress while delivering, and if other cars are behing me, I'll pull on the side with my warning lights so that people can pass me. When I see random people or taxi drivers almost stopped or driving 20kph in the middle of the street for whatever reason, I'm pissed.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #43
Strider199

Drives: Black 2012 Yaris 3door 5speed
I have noticed that other vehicles seem not to see my 2012 black 3 door Yaris. I have had to hit the horn (this must be replaced soon), twice in the last month. It seems like other drivers just don't see the car when changing lanes or think I will submit and hit the brakes.

I used to drive a VW Golf and didn't have these types of issues. What gives?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #44
carolinablue

Drives: 2012
I used to subscribe to "Pull off to the side of the road and let them pass" until some moron threw a coke bottle at my car when I did. It could have just as easily been a bullet. It is much safer if you keep rolling.
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #45
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
so not to dig up a thread from death, but I had a good one today. I had a red ford focus hatchback race to get infront of me, Nobody i mean NOBODY! was behind me after getting Right infront of me he slams on the brakes to make the next turn off. What gives? I mean Yea i get it. Its a yaris, I bought it for fuel economy and i drive like a little old lady going to get groceries.

But wtf? Speed limit on this road is 50mph, I was probably doing 45-47 and accelerating from the previous light. Does this really justify cutting off then brake checking a poor little yaris? Derp

Thanks
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #46
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Step 1) Buy that window marker stuff
Step 2) Draw a dick on his windows
Step 3) post pictures of the results
Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #47
oliveskate

Drives: Toyota Yaris
I get no respect driving my yaris, or from people at work who knows I drive on. But when a car pulls up besides me (like a cobalt, civic, etc...) and I beat them, i just LOL.
oliveskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #48
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidermandud View Post
Step 1) Buy that window marker stuff
Step 2) Draw a dick on his windows
Step 3) post pictures of the results
HAHAHA i really like that idea. Next time I will. it was some young punk kid too
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #49
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
maybe hang one of those ballsack trailer hitches thingies?
Ever since eTIMaGo suggested it, I have been so tempted to do it. A big chrome pair.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #50
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
That, I want to see!! PHOTOS, PLEASE!!! :D
Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #51
vincentg

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
In my country (Philippines) people here are used to 4 door sedans and the only known hatchback is the Honda Fit. It is seldom that you see a Yaris around here too. More of the Fit, Suzuki Swift and Mazda 2 thats roaming around the streets here.

People are like what car is that and stuff.
At least i got to smoke my friend and his Honda Fit. hahahahaha.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #52
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
No love and no hate. There are still not enough Yari in my area to make a dent. I am still unique.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #53
LuckySweetheart

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sport Sedan
I've had to learn how to drive *much* more aggressively since moving to Dallas from Los Angeles in 2011.
LuckySweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #54
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Traffic is just cars in line who can't move any faster than what's in front of them.
So I drive as if I'm the person behind me.

They want to make it through the green lights just as much as I do. In traffic, I act as their lead vehicle and help to keep them moving by not lagging. And if someone needs to change lanes, I'm there to help them get to where they think they need to be, because I enjoy being treated with the same courtesy. I regard the other cars in traffic as if we are all on the same team, and I keep a lookout for little opportunities to help things to flow smoothly.

It's amazing how nicely people respond when you're helpful.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote