Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
schume

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Waddle getting old

Ok, so I'm finally fed up and I need the help of those who know. I bought my 2010 Yaris new with 40 miles on it. It currently has over 30k.

The one thing that I've noticed from the beginning is a slow speed waddle in the front end. Basically, the front seems to move a bit from side to side. (Feels like it's coming from the passenger side) The steering wheel has no movement when this occurs. At higher speeds, +10MPH, it goes away completely. Most of my driving is freeway, so I've just tried to ignore it.

It is a very similar feel to a broken belt in a tire. I inspected the tires when I did my rotation and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I also checked for bearing play while the front wheels were off the ground, felt fine. After the rotation, the waddle was still there. So, I either have two, equally damaged tires or there's something else wrong. I'm on the factory Goodyears.

The only other problem I can think of is that my brake rotors seemed to come pre-warped with the car. It's not really noticeable unless I'm doing a lot of braking, which isn't often.

I can't think of any other issues. Alignment has always seemed spot on. I don't have a garage to work in, so the more focused the troubleshooting, the better.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Sounds like a bent wheel or a crappy tire (that has a flat spot where the belts overlap).
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
schume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
Sounds like a bent wheel or a crappy tire (that has a flat spot where the belts overlap).
That's what I was thinking to, except it's exactly the same after rotating the tires from back to front. I guess it is possible to have more than one damaged tire. I know the factory tires don't have the best reviews.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I know for a fact that factory tires (Bridgestone Potenzas) suck pretty badly.
You could try rotating your wheels to see if your situation changes at all. Cheap and easy to do.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The other thing to try is pulling the EPS fuse and taking a drive to see if it is actually that the electric power steering is out of calibration.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
schume

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The other thing to try is pulling the EPS fuse and taking a drive to see if it is actually that the electric power steering is out of calibration.
Thanks Scott. I'll try to find that fuse and see what happens.